• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tire size question

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Versys that I need to change the tires on. I want to do something that will handle simple dirt or gravel roads. With that in mind, I can't seem to find a matching set of tires that match the factory sizes. I'm looking towards the K60 scouts or Shinko 705 as they seem to come closest to what I want in a matching brand/pair.

My question is concerning the width of the tire. Factory size on the rear is 160/60 R17. I can find stuff in 170/50 R17 and 150/70 R17. Does the .39 inches difference matter on fitting the rim/sealing the bead correctly?

I've heard that as long as the rim is still the same size, the width shouldn't matter too much, but I know if I tried to put a 2 inch wide tire on a 4 inch wide rim, it simply won't work. As I pointed out, I get that I am talking about less than half an inch difference, but I really don't know much about this sort of thing so I am seeking advice from the internet.:giveup:

Either tyre will fit on your rim, the 150 might be a bit harder to get seated, but it will fit and work fine. I doubt you will notice any difference when riding, but the 150 will give a flatter profile on your rim, on the dirt this is good (better traction) on the road you might notice it’s a little slower to go into a turn, but the difference is going to be minimal. I would go with whichever tyre you think looks the best, or has the best price. Going up or down one size in width is very rarely a problem, and your versus rim is not very wide so you will be fine with either.

Gary

I remembered the tire sizes wrong. My options on the back seem to be 150/70 or 170/60. Which might be a better choice?

Thrasherg, thanks for the info so far. It helps me not feel as nervous as I am probably going to attempt to change the tires myself.

Back