• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

help on registration

Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Has anyone here lived in one state, for work, but is a resident of Texas, has motorcycles registered in Texas, but has them in the state they work(ed)in, and needed to get them inspected and registered? I can not bring them back to Texas to be inspected in order to satisfy registration rules, but I do not want to register them in this state. Both are ridden regularly, recently totally serviced. If any ideas, I sure would appreciate them.

Hmmmm.... Had a friend that had a car from New York and still had his new York DL... his stickers and registration were out of date for almost ten years while in TX... Got pulled over a bit but officer could not cite him for the infractions.. He did this for over 3 years and the police couldn't touch him.. This was about 20 years back but I would check federal laws....

Mikie86

My son is going to school in Phoenix AZ. His truck was due for a new sticker and he isn't coming back to Texas anytime soon. I went to the tax office and told them the situation and she noted on her computer that the vehicle was out of state and issued me a new sticker. I will have to do the same for his motorcycle in a few months. You may be able to call the tax office and see if they can issue you a new sticker over the phone and mail it to you.

Per the registration website:

If your vehicle is currently out of state and you are unable to complete a Texas vehicle inspection in order to renew your registration, you may self-certify that the vehicle is out of state and will be permitted to register online, by mail, or in person.

If you renew your vehicle registration using the out-of-state self-certification option, a remark will be placed on your vehicle record indicating that an inspection is still due. Once you return to the state, you must complete a Texas vehicle inspection within three days of arrival at your home, duty station, or destination. It is very important that you keep the VIR issued after completing your inspection in case you are stopped by law enforcement before the remark is removed from your vehicle record, which takes about 48 hours. The remark will be removed only upon payment of the state’s portion of the inspection fee and verification of inspection at your county tax office.

You can renew the registration by mail, just list you are currently out of state. If or when you come back to Texas, you have 3 days to get the inspection done.

You can renew the registration by mail, just list you are currently out of state. If or when you come back to Texas, you have 3 days to get the inspection done.

I have done this online as well.

_

Back