TWT Forums  

 


Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Upcoming Ride/Trips

Notices

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2017, 10:36 PM   #21
F-Ride
 
F-Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 201
Re: MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

Adding First Aid Kit to my adventure load-out. All contents fit into the Tusk fender bag @ 1.3 lbs. Tubes are located lower in side bags.

__________________
Fred
16 Yamaha WR250R Sparky SOLD
16 Honda CRF1000 Scout
F-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:50 AM   #22
sanderjavant
 
sanderjavant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Castroville, Texas
Posts: 806
Re: MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Ride View Post
Working on gps tracks and general routing for both MOAB and COBDR. Will base camp in MOAB and ride day loops for about 4 days. White Rim, Onion Creek, Slick Rock, Spring Canyon. Then to my second home in Meredith, CO. Where the General store is getting notice:
http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/176322
Sounds like a great ride, be safe. Fantastic article about the store!
__________________
Sander
sanderjavant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #23
Kilgore74
 
Kilgore74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 42
Re: MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Ride View Post
Adding First Aid Kit to my adventure load-out. All contents fit into the Tusk fender bag @ 1.3 lbs. Tubes are located lower in side bags.



Sam splint is smart


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

2010 F800GS
1987 XT350 TT

xx2007HondaShadowxx
xx1999 KZP1000xx
Kilgore74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:22 PM   #24
F-Ride
 
F-Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 201
Re: MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

Got it all mounted up today, including slightly notching the fender for the grab tabs. Hope I never have to use it.

__________________
Fred
16 Yamaha WR250R Sparky SOLD
16 Honda CRF1000 Scout
F-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #25
F-Ride
 
F-Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 201
Re: MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

Sparky is getting anxious.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Fred
16 Yamaha WR250R Sparky SOLD
16 Honda CRF1000 Scout
F-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:44 PM   #26
sanderjavant
 
sanderjavant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Castroville, Texas
Posts: 806
Re: MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

__________________
Sander
sanderjavant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #27
F-Ride
 
F-Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 201
Re: MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

View from the front porch of the store - Departure Point. Aspen trees are starting to turn.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Fred
16 Yamaha WR250R Sparky SOLD
16 Honda CRF1000 Scout
F-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:48 PM   #28
F-Ride
 
F-Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 201
COBDR & MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

Started a bit late as it took a while to load up Sparky with all that gear. Odometer read 7777 as I rolled off.

Made it over Hagerman Pass in about an hour. It did not seem as rough this time, but I was nervous riding solo with all the gear.



Then Weston Pass an hour later. Sparky was noticing the elevation. The weather was nice and cool, without any rain. That would change soon enough.



This section was wooded with tight turns and bunches of hills, slick sections, sand, slowed me down good. I got Buena Vista in sight when the weather caught up. Thunderstorms are not fun when you are crossing hilly exposed countryside.

When the sprinkle started, I contemplated making a run 4-5 miles to town or backtrack a few miles to a nice camp sight I had seen earlier. I made the wrong choice.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Fred
16 Yamaha WR250R Sparky SOLD
16 Honda CRF1000 Scout
F-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #29
randypower
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bulverde, TX
Posts: 162
Re: COBDR & MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

Way to leave us hanging, Fred! You're posting, so you're alive.... Which is very good. Looking forward to the rest of the story.
randypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #30
_RG_
 
_RG_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bryan-sort of-Texas
Posts: 2,180
Re: COBDR & MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017



Same here... Coming down the mountain into Buena Vista. Really cool seeing ominous looking clouds snaking their way through the hills and over town but riding down into it - not so much. Getting there, all the motels were full and ridiculously over priced so I'm sheltering under the portico of one when this dude wearing off-road pants walks over and says "Hey, I'm by myself. You want to share a room?" He was on a F800 with full baggage. Turns out he lives in Santa Fe and was returning from a trip to Prudhoe Bay. Great guy and a new friend in New Mexico. This motorcycle stuff can have so many unanticipated twists and turns. Enjoy the ride.
__________________
We don’t know much about solitude these days, nor do we want to. A crowded world thinks that aloneness is always loneliness, and that to seek it is perversion." - John Graves
_RG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #31
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,462
Re: COBDR & MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

Would you mind starting a separate thread for the ride report/pics? I think it will get a LOT more views that it will being stuck in your planning thread.
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #32
F-Ride
 
F-Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 201
Re: COBDR & MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

Continued in After the Ride...

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115374



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Fred
16 Yamaha WR250R Sparky SOLD
16 Honda CRF1000 Scout
F-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:54 AM   #33
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,462
Re: COBDR & MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

Awesome! Thanks
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #34
JCGeo
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Houston
Posts: 14
Re: COBDR & MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

So does it help much to paint the inside of your skid plate to reduce noise? If so I am going to try it..
John
__________________
John

2016 WR250R
2013 WR250R
2007 TTR125
1972 CT70
JCGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:49 PM   #35
F-Ride
 
F-Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 201
Re: COBDR & MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCGeo View Post
So does it help much to paint the inside of your skid plate to reduce noise? If so I am going to try it..

John


I don't notice it too much either way. I only noticed the noise every so often. I thought about putting that 3m auto/stereo stuff on, but you can't really put it on the wings (would look silly), and I didn't want the material to reflect heat and have an adverse effect on engine cooling.
__________________
Fred
16 Yamaha WR250R Sparky SOLD
16 Honda CRF1000 Scout
F-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
moab, white rim, wr25r


Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Upcoming Ride/Trips

Notices


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Rights Reserved, Scott Friday 2003-12.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.19699 seconds with 12 queries