Old 02-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #22
inroads

Re: WTB - Starter Bike for short person - Austin area

Best do-all short bike: Yamaha XT 225
inroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #23
El Fenix

The Shadow VLX600 would be a good choice. Low seat height, and enough power to get around town, no problem. Very easy power delivery also.

I rode my Shadow 750 from Dallas TO Austin and back a few months ago. This is the bike I learned on, and have kept for 17k miles now.

I will echo some of the sentiments that a bike is a very unforgiving thing. The margin for error is close to zero. That said, if you chose to get a bike, there is NOTHING like it for riding on anything more than a decent day. Nothing. For most of us, it makes up for the downsides of cold and heat.
El Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #24
WoodButcher
Administrator

I think I'm going to split this thread off into two. One about the actual search for a bike that will stay here in the For Sale section and the other will be the discussion and that will end up in General. I'll put the link for the discussion thread in here when I'm done with the split.

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away - American Pie, Don McLean

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #25
jimhaleyscomet

I would recommend the Honda CRF250L if she can reach the ground. If not Honda has a street bike version using the same engine (not sure the model). A dual sport gets you in a more upright position that can be critical in traffic (to both see and be seen).

About commuting as others mentioned.... I recently started riding dual sports on the street after years in the dirt. Not sure about her commute, but I live where divided lanes are the norm and find by using techniques in Proficient Motorcycling (
Amazon.com: Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well (0731360405364): David L. Hough: Books Amazon.com: Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well (0731360405364): David L. Hough: Books

) that I can stay FAR away from other vehicles.

Pat Hahn also has some great books (
Amazon.com: How to Ride a Motorcycle: A Rider's Guide to Strategy, Safety and Skill Development (9780760321140): Pat Hahn: Books Amazon.com: How to Ride a Motorcycle: A Rider's Guide to Strategy, Safety and Skill Development (9780760321140): Pat Hahn: Books

). I hope you can make sure she has the right riding STRATEGY if she is going to commute.

SOLD: 2009 KLR 650, 2013 CRF250L, 2008 Yamaha WR250L, 2005 Yamaha TW200 ... the Tdub. All great bikes later sold to another rider.
2011 KTM 450EXC ... Traded in after oil transfer issues not resolved under warranty even though spent much of its first year in the dealer's shop!

Last edited by jimhaleyscomet; 02-20-2013 at 08:22 AM.
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #26
andyc740

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I think my daughter's heart may be running ahead of her head. I bought a bike while in high school ('74 Honda MT 250) that was my daily commuter, so I'm familiar with some of the challenges involved, but I didn't have to deal with Austin traffic. On the other hand, she won't have to pay for parking. We'll have to see how this plays out.

06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Rocinante II or R2)
01 Triumph Trophy 1200 (Rocinante) - worn out
andyc740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #27
Maverick

Ok stopped reading when you made your comment about a cruiser. Is this bike for her or you?

What does SHE want and what is SHE comfortable on?
Child Liaison
Web Admin
BACA - Brazos Valley Chapter

Gerald "Jester" Cleveland / 1976 - 2009 / BACA Fort Worth / RIP Brother
Dylan "Porkchop" Newman / 2006 - 2009 / BACA Brazos Valley / RIP Brother
Craig "Hat Trick" Schroeder / 1964 - 2009 / BACA Waco / RIP Brother

"The definition of Insanity - Attempting the same thing over and over again expecting different results" ~ Albert Einstein
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #28
JRW69

Depending on what your wanting to spend, I have been thinking about getting out of my TU250 into something larger. Fantastic around town bike and I'm averaging about 80mpg. Let me know if this something she may want and we can discuss. We could even possibly meet somewhere and let her have a sit on it and see what she thinks.
JRW69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #29
Multisurface Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda pc View Post
Not to discourage you....But just for commuting, you are buying a bike for a young girl new to biking is taking a big risk...Especially someone familiar with that route has said its not the
best route for newbie riders..

Taking MSF course is like putting a diaper on....it prepares you for putting motorcycle on the street and going straight...that's it..
It doesn't prepare you for not getting caught on target fixation, emergency manuevers, decisive life saving decisions made on real streets dangers... Or lots of potenital hazards on the roads or canyons... like unseen oil spots, radiator fluid, potholes, grooves, sandy areas.....all risk factors that even experirenced riders have problems dealing with..

Truthfully...if you are buying bike just for commuting then its wrong vechile...The bike cost more in long run...tires, chains, maintenance...riding msf and advanced course, full leather riding gears, helmet, gloves and then dealing with hot/cold weathers....and the crazy drivers....

I would say,,,,just buy another used toyota and drive that for another long time...safer and less costly in the long run....

Just my 02cents.... Now if you are passionate about riding...then yeah,,,start learning and ease into commuting....practice and self control....

I recently read about a 19yr old girl who died on a new bike in the road on a long wide turn...the motorcycle still had dealer new tags.... What a shame...and sad thing to happen.. Its real out there.... you can ride 99% perfect and the 1% that you didn't can be your last ride....
Motorcycling is not a forgiving sport or hobby....

I love motorcycles as much or more than anyone, been riding since 1969 and have seen some things happen to me, friends and love ones. I started not to say anything until I read the above post and I agree with Honda PC. Learning how to ride your first bike in Austin or any other big city is just not a good idea. You live in Austin now and have been driving your Toyota there, you know how the traffic is and people in cars do not care about you.

As I said, I love motorcycles and think you should give yourself a chance to see if it is for you. Something that you love to do and you can wait to get on it and ride again, I understand the passion, I have it and always will.

Please think long and hard about getting a bike for your daily transportation. IMPO, I just don't think it is a good idea.

My best to you, and if you get a bike ride safe, real safe.

Calvin
Multisurface Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #30
mllemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW69 View Post
Depending on what your wanting to spend, I have been thinking about getting out of my TU250 into something larger. Fantastic around town bike and I'm averaging about 80mpg. Let me know if this something she may want and we can discuss. We could even possibly meet somewhere and let her have a sit on it and see what she thinks.
I like the look and the reviews for the TU250 & would love to get a chance to check it out!

For the record, I drove my ghetto Toyota without A/C for 2 years in Austin. I'm very used to being hot and miserable and covered in sweat. It's the cold that worries me since I'm freezing when it hits 60, but the cold weather never lasts that long.

I understand the risks that I'm taking and have a healthy respect for them. I will do what I can in order to minimize that risk. I will buy the previously mentioned books, i'm already looking into the safety course and will buy all the gear possible. I'm not afraid of risks. I used to work in social services. After years of dealing with screaming schizophrenics, belligerent drug addicts and antagonistic callers at the abuse hotline I've stopped letting my fear make my decisions for me.
mllemuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #31
jimhaleyscomet

Depending on your speed cold may not be a problem. It is rather easy just to add more layers. Do you have a feel for what you min / max speeds and you typical speed will be? That will determine what gear you need both for safety and comfort.

SOLD: 2009 KLR 650, 2013 CRF250L, 2008 Yamaha WR250L, 2005 Yamaha TW200 ... the Tdub. All great bikes later sold to another rider.
2011 KTM 450EXC ... Traded in after oil transfer issues not resolved under warranty even though spent much of its first year in the dealer's shop!
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #32
rob-houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda pc View Post
Not to discourage you....But just for commuting, you are buying a bike for a young girl new to biking is taking a big risk...Especially someone familiar with that route has said its not the
best route for newbie riders..

Taking MSF course is like putting a diaper on....it prepares you for putting motorcycle on the street and going straight...that's it..
It doesn't prepare you for not getting caught on target fixation, emergency manuevers, decisive life saving decisions made on real streets dangers... Or lots of potenital hazards on the roads or canyons... like unseen oil spots, radiator fluid, potholes, grooves, sandy areas.....all risk factors that even experirenced riders have problems dealing with..

Truthfully...if you are buying bike just for commuting then its wrong vechile...The bike cost more in long run...tires, chains, maintenance...riding msf and advanced course, full leather riding gears, helmet, gloves and then dealing with hot/cold weathers....and the crazy drivers....

I would say,,,,just buy another used toyota and drive that for another long time...safer and less costly in the long run....

Just my 02cents.... Now if you are passionate about riding...then yeah,,,start learning and ease into commuting....practice and self control....

I recently read about a 19yr old girl who died on a new bike in the road on a long wide turn...the motorcycle still had dealer new tags.... What a shame...and sad thing to happen.. Its real out there.... you can ride 99% perfect and the 1% that you didn't can be your last ride....
Motorcycling is not a forgiving sport or hobby....
+1 or +2 etc. Reality check!

Totaled my first motorcycle, Honda S-90, in 1966 into the right rear quarter panel of a 1964 Ford blue mustang. She stopped at a stop sign on a side street and pulled right out in front of me. Wasn't wearing a helmet. Got a free ride to the emergency room and 19 stitches on the crown of my head. I also had a temporary total loss of hearing. Saw our dog barking but couldn't hear her. My mother knocked a school book off my desk rushing to the door. I felt it but never heard it!

I don't ride without full gear! EVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhaleyscomet View Post
Depending on your speed cold may not be a problem. It is rather easy just to add more layers. Do you have a feel for what you min / max speeds and you typical speed will be? That will determine what gear you need both for safety and comfort.
Not sure what your references about speed are, but speed should never be the determinate of gear to wear! Every crash needs full gear regardless of speed. Weather is my guide between full mesh (jacket and overpants) or leather or heavy touring jacket.

My first multi-quote!

Garmin Nuvi 1450 LMT refurb.

2013 Honda CB500XA
2003 Blue Ninja 250
2008 Kawasaki KLR-650
1983 Honda XL-185S
1969 Penton 125cc (KTM frame Sachs motor)
1969 Honda CB-350
1967 Honda CL-175 (Insurance replacement for S-90)
1966 Honda S-90 (Totaled into 1964 Mustang)

1979/1980 Pearl White Bianchi 15 speed

Rob
rob-houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #33
sharkey
The Incredible Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllemuscle View Post
I like the look and the reviews for the TU250 & would love to get a chance to check it out!

For the record, I drove my ghetto Toyota without A/C for 2 years in Austin. I'm very used to being hot and miserable and covered in sweat. It's the cold that worries me since I'm freezing when it hits 60, but the cold weather never lasts that long.

I understand the risks that I'm taking and have a healthy respect for them. I will do what I can in order to minimize that risk. I will buy the previously mentioned books, i'm already looking into the safety course and will buy all the gear possible. I'm not afraid of risks. I used to work in social services. After years of dealing with screaming schizophrenics, belligerent drug addicts and antagonistic callers at the abuse hotline I've stopped letting my fear make my decisions for me.

Well I will put a shameless plug in for my TMax 500 scooter for sale. Twist n Go fuel injected goodness with room to store your junk. 50MPG and you can make all the male squidly types nervous in the twisties when you keep up behind them.

Seat sits a bit high for shorties but you just lean on one leg like I do since it is light and has a low COG.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #34
andyc740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Ok stopped reading when you made your comment about a cruiser. Is this bike for her or you?

What does SHE want and what is SHE comfortable on?
Good point. She trusts me implicitly (at least regarding motorcycles) and I don't want to sound any more dogmatic than I already am, but I like bikes that go, and stop, and turn. I think she will, too.

We'll see how this all shakes out.

06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Rocinante II or R2)
01 Triumph Trophy 1200 (Rocinante) - worn out
andyc740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #35
MaxxTraxx

Any interest in a 2003 Honda Shadow ACE 750? pm sent
MaxxTraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #36
Goldfish

Mllemuscle,

Welcome to the TWT. I hope that the right moto shows up at the right time.

Dale
Goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #37
Lulu7404

I agree with be careful. But I would say that to anybody getting a motorcycle. This country is running out of places that would be "safe" to learn how to ride a bike. Traffic in the city is rude and dangerous, but I honestly hear more about deer strikes in the country than traffic accidents in the city.

I have purchased my wife two very affordable scoots for daily riding, and her new position at work means she has to have a car for taking clients around.
One is already gone, but was mentioned as one of the bikes they use in the MSF course, the Honda CB250 Nighthawk. Great following, easy to install windscreen and luggage. Usually can be had for about $1900 here in Dallas.

The other is this little gem. The Honda CRF230M, the evil step cousin to the CRF230L mentioned before. One inch shorter and on 17" wheels. I commute on it daily, for the 80mpg but it is a little small for me. They only made it one year in 09, we bought it new last year and it has 1600 miles on it. It is not for sale officially, but I have been thinking about selling it for something taller, for me, more like the KLX250 or WR250. Anyway, not a sales pitch but Milemuscle or dad andyc740, let me know if you even like it. I will be in Austin next Thur-Sunday (2-28/3-3) for work and thought about bringing it to ride to my conference each day downtown from McKinney Falls state park where we are camping. I think we owe about $3200 but willing to let it go for less.

Here's the little gem with dual sport tires at the top of engineer pass, colorado last summer, with luggage.

2015 KTM 1190 ADV R
2006 Suzuki DR 650 SE

Last edited by Lulu7404; 02-23-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #38
El Fenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxTraxx View Post
Any interest in a 2003 Honda Shadow ACE 750? pm sent
Great bikes to start with, and you wont outgrow it in a few months. Basically
the same bike as mine, but with different fenders.

Only issue I know of with this would possibly the fuel pump. Mine went out at 31k miles. Getting it fixed now.

Not to disrespect the above offer of the Honda 230, but you can get a lot more bike for that kinda money.
El Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #39
Lulu7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Fenix View Post
Great bikes to start with, and you wont outgrow it in a few months. Basically
the same bike as mine, but with different fenders.

Only issue I know of with this would possibly the fuel pump. Mine went out at 31k miles. Getting it fixed now.

Not to disrespect the above offer of the Honda 230, but you can get a lot more bike for that kinda money.

None taken, but this carb'd bike will never need a new fuel pump, has a low seat height, and wide bars, and easily manageable power. Not too many people need MORE bike for a starter/commuter. He asked for suggestions for a new rider. I think most agree that dirt bikes make the best starter bikes. Cheap replacement parts that were meant to handle drops often, low power, easy to turn wide bars, easy to maintain, easy to attach luggage.

OK, so I did take it a bit personally... haha.. just a suggestion, its not even for sale technically, but I still think this bike or the CRF230L is a GREAT starter/commuter. It has much better engine and brakes than a small cruiser. I have ridden the S40 and it wouldn't get out of its own way with 4 speed tranny. This has 6 speed gearbox, air cooled, thumper engine. Retail is $2600 for a true used 09. This one has factory extended service contract and warranty included.
Main thing is does she like it, and would it fit her SAFELY. 750cc cruiser bike = 500+lbs 230cc bike = 270lbs. 5' tall rider. hmmm

2015 KTM 1190 ADV R
2006 Suzuki DR 650 SE

Last edited by Lulu7404; 02-23-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #40
Multisurface Rider

I still agree with my first post and think you should get another car to be you everyday driver. Remember, cold, wet, hot and crazy drivers. My point of view.

I did not give you my opinion on what bike I think would be a good starter bike.

You need a bike you can sit on top of, it is light and you can touch the ground flat footed with both feet or real close, feet under you with an up-right seating position where you are in an alert position. This type of bike makes it so much eaiser to react quickly, if need be. You are driving in city traffic.

I agree with Lulu7404, up-right seating position type of bike. A few have been mentioned and all are great bikes.
TU250, you said "I like the look and the reviews for the TU250", check it out. Others: XT225 or XT250, CRF230L or CRF230M. All these are great bikes and there are others I can not think of right now. Buy used, you can get a well cared for used bike that is as good as a new bike for less money.

Good luck, be careful and ride safe.
Multisurface Rider is offline   Reply With Quote