• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

OFFROAD helmet debate

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Keep in mind, this is for trail ride thinking, not m/x. I have mixed feelings. It is on a motorcycle group page on Facebook. Interesting debate.

This is a downhill mtb helmet for racers, the original posters thought is here guys go way faster on downhill bikes then we do one the woods. It is way lighter and better airflow for summer.

Any thoughts. Not sure I would be comfortable with this, but those guys do everything and at more speed than trail riding it seems.

Attachments

• 45139587_10212822088208201_977441110966140928_n.jpg
    45139587_10212822088208201_977441110966140928_n.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 45027254_10212822088368205_6360217064904327168_n.jpg
    45027254_10212822088368205_6360217064904327168_n.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 182
I'm worried about the spaces in the structure.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Road bicycle riders also wear spandex shorts, spandex shirts, and fingerless gloves while reaching speeds of 40-45mph on certain downhills.

Just because another group does it, doesn't mean it is something I want to do.

NO.
mountain bikes do not carry as much inertia as motorcycles. They fall differently, hit trees differently & high side differently.

I would not put my life in jeopardy by wearing a helmet not designed and tested for motorcycle use. Even street bike helmets are designed for different impacts than dirtbike ones.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Will that helmet protect you if you fall in a way that the bike lands on your head? Looks like a foot peg will go right through an air hole in into your skull. Or you fall on a limb sticking up.

Eh, IDK, you can only mess up your brain once. Airflow/comfort doesn't seem worth it, there are other ways to manage those factors without sacrificing your brain.

IIRC, even DOT rated m/c helmets have some modicum of second impact capability.
I don't think the bicycle crash ratings have any.
A couple of years ago I was shopping for a new bicycle helmet and was surprised to find almost all now carry just a CPSC rating. Seemed like Snell was out of the game altogether.

Another way to think of it is not "is this downhill helmet adequate for moto riding in the woods?", but "is this bicycle helmet adequate for downhill racing? "

Good point

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Or go the Jack Nicholson route. :-P Not that I ride trails anymore - probably haven't in 35 or 40 years - but if I did, I'd wear a motorcycle-specific helmet.

Attachments

• jack nicholson.jpg
    jack nicholson.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 136
I thought about it. Just for putting around maybe, but when things get going good and plenty of riders I'd like full on protection and good goggles.

I have you seen these: https://www.ls2helmets.us/mx/subverter

I have been researching this as my next helmet. I've read a review from rider out of New Jersey (on a dedicated KTM site) that said at rides under 40 degrees he blocks vents with duck tape up front because of the venting works so well and stated that you can defiantly feel it. The technology involved is great, venting is good, and the price point is very nice. Between 2 and 300. They also have a good looking ADV helmet. I heard the price point is good because they don't use a distrubuter like Tucker Rocky, or Parts unlimited. They supply directly to the dealer. Cuts out the middle man and lowers the price.

The other one I have been researching is the F5 by Klim... much more price wise, but technology and venting looks top notch. https://koroyd.com/klim-f5-koroyd-motorcycle-helmet/ Price point is much higher 500
to 600, but I think the technology is great and surely the venting is good. The older style helmet very well vented. I thinking the venting on this could rival any MTB helmet and still offer full protection off-road and MX. I've used klim products and have been happy so far. I know a few that had the older style helmet and one did like it and the others though the plastic vent tips came off a little easy, but overall were happy with them. They no longer have the little snap on plastic tips and seem to have eliminated the issues around them, but just not including them and smoothing the edges of the shell.

Last edited:
I have seen LS2 helmet at SLM in Arlington. I didn't try it on though. Edit***** I did see it. The lip at the edge of the forehead is hard. Does have a large vent. The vent openings are not soft. They are all molded plastic. The lip at the top of the eye hole is hard. It was a medium and didn't fit. Only one they had. Looks very solid.

Last edited:
Back