• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo assignment #136: Favorite Summer Beverage (ASSIGNMENT)

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
It's Summer.
It's HOT.

Let me see your best attempt at showcasing your favorite Summertime beverage. That can be as simple as a bottle of water, a glass of iced tea, or your best staging of a gin & tonic or a beer. What wets your whistle in this weather?

I'm looking for a creative presentation which is technically strong in the areas of product, lighting, environment/staging, DOF and shutterspeed. And it has to be interesting!

Lets' have some fun with this one as we ALL need to hydrate in some form or another.

Specifics:
1) Camera phone, point & shoot, DSLR, or even film; all shooters are welcome and encouraged to participate!
2) Post processing is allowed for this assignment.
3) All forum posting rules apply regarding suitability of an image to post.
4) Your photograph for the entry has to have been taken between now and midnight/2400, Monday August 11, 2014.

Use this thread for posting shots previously taken, or current shots asking questions, or just talking about the assignment.

Let's get out there and create some great shots!

A couple examples of prior work I've done to get you thinking... I've already got a few concepts in mind for this one!

20100413%20004-L.jpg

SSS_3374-1-L.jpg

Last edited:
My picture matches the criteria for posting except it was taken about two weeks at a brewery in Cortez, Colorado.

Can I post it, at least for feedback?

RB

Nothing changed from the last time I posted this. Still my favorite...

IMG_8630.jpg

Sure.

Are you aware we also have a dedicated sub-forum HERE for just this purpose?

OK.

You're images are razor sharp and the color saturation is excellent. I like the watery droplet exterior on the Petroleum Club glass.

:clap:

RB

Deleted the previous image posting since it was several weeks old. Here is a more recent one with my smart phone. I added the histogram after doing light contrast adjustment but don't know how to interpret it well.

20140730_173115.jpg

Attachments

• red-red-wine-ub40-histogram.PNG
    red-red-wine-ub40-histogram.PNG
    12.5 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Eww, wheat beer. Also not a fan of retired people that have time to sit outside the Saxon Pub. It's actually a decent pic. Could use a bit more depth of field but being from a cell phone is adequate.

Tapatalk on a Note 2.

Eww, wheat beer. Also not a fan of retired people that have time to sit outside the Saxon Pub. It's actually a decent pic. Could use a bit more depth of field but being from a cell phone is adequate.

Tapatalk on a Note 2.

What? You don't like Blue Moon? I like lots of kinds of beer. Here's a pic of a favorite ale I enjoyed while Joyce was watering a poor spot in our front yard. I don't do yard work, I have people for that!:trust: Oh, same phone camera, set on auto.
lagunitas-XL.jpg

Here's a pic of a Founder's Breakfast Stout for me and a hef for Joyce. We enjoyed these beers at Quickie Pickie, just on the east side of town. It's one place in town that has Founders on tap! If you haven't tried Founders, you're missing out. This is one of the best tasting stouts around. Look at that head, umm, creamy.
stoutandipa-XL.jpg

I'm kind of digging the Blue Moon pic.....

Fred - I really don't look much as histograms as I kind of let my eye judge what's right. In principle, you want all your data more towards the center of the spectrum. When data is out on the far right or far left, you are pushing the boundaries/limits of blacks and whites. If all your stuff is on one end or the other, you're giving up the other end.

One use I find in the histogram is looking for 'blinkys' or when it flashes at me. That tells me I've got uber hot spots where no data exists. If I see those, I adjust accordingly.

Is this the right place to post entries?
Hope so, I brought some extras.

Attachments

• beer1.jpg
    beer1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 188
Took this about a month ago with the cell phone. Praying mantis likes XX too.

suha2e9u.jpg

Tapatalk on a Note 2.

What? You don't like Blue Moon? I like lots of kinds of beer.

I don't like wheat beer, hefeweizen. I have had that same Lagunita's before, picked it up at Spec's.

Experimenting this evening on our front lawn with the setting sun. I couldn't use the flash (strobe) I have as it's on-camera and reflects on the bottle. I'll figure something out, have another week.

Attachments

• DSC00376.jpg
    DSC00376.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 167
Try the flash and diffusing it with a white diffuser like a pc of white sheet or plastic.... Somewhere I have a thread on a down and dirty diffuser using a split film canister... Let me poke around.

Going out this evening to try a concept.... Anyone making progress on this one?

That was a total bust. Had the wrong tripod mounting plate in my bag so I couldn't mount the camera on location. Lesson learned - ck ALL your gear ALL the time

I'll try turning the flash 90 degrees and bouncing it off something. I have a small diffuser attached already, didn't work well.

Tapatalk on a Note 2.

Back