• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Marfa, Fort Davis, Alpine lodging

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a motel (no camping) in the Marfa, Ft. Davis, Alpine area?
The wife and I will probably haul the bike out to that general area, then do our riding from there. She's not big on camping, so that's why the motel request.

Also if you have good places to eat out there...mention that too please.

Thanks

Everything in Marfa is expensive. The Highland Inn in Alpine is an older place but clean and motorcycle friendly at one of the best prices in the area. The Fort Davis Inn in FD is clean and reasonably priced. I have stayed at both these places many times with no problems. If you want to spend more money there are other nice places. The Drug Store in FD has great breakfast (never had any other meal there). In Alpine there's a nice little Mexican restaurant across the street from McDonald's but I forgot the name of it. I guess you know it's hotter than a firecracker in the Big Bend area, do all your riding in the very early morning. Have fun.
P.S. I used to stay at the lodge in FD state park, but it has gone through some changes. The restaurant has a new menu which has less to select from and really expensive. When I was there both ice machines in the area where I was staying were inop and appeared to be broken for some time. This is a shame because it really is a nice place to stay, great ambience.

Indian Lodge in Davis Mountain State Park is another to consider.

I stayed here during a Pie Run. Very cool place constructed by the CCC during the Great Depression. They even have a little museum related to its construction. The only down side was no wi-fi or cell service. That might have changed.

I could sometimes get cell service late at night at the Indian Lodge in the east parking lot. You had to walk around to find the "sweet spot", kind of like the old commercial, "Can you hear me now".

Here's another vote for Antelope Lodge in Alpine. Clean and affordable.

LOVE the Indian Lodge in Ft. Davis (mentioned by others earlier): My wife stayed there as a HS girl (her class witnessed the filming of "Giant") and I caught up a few years ago... It's now a shared destination-- which includes a VERY respectable restaurant.

Here's another vote for Antelope Lodge in Alpine. Clean and affordable.

Another recommendation for the Antelope Lodge. A group of us stayed there in 2012 and found it enjoyable. Rooms are rustic but clean and comfortable. The kitchenettes also allow you to save a little money by fixing your on meals. We fixed dishes in the rooms then collected at the picnic tables in the courtyard for potluck suppers in the evenings.

Another recommendation for the Antelope Lodge. A group of us stayed there in 2012 and found it enjoyable. Rooms are rustic but clean and comfortable. The kitchenettes also allow you to save a little money by fixing your on meals. We fixed dishes in the rooms then collected at the picnic tables in the courtyard for potluck suppers in the evenings.

That's exactly what we did when we stayed there. Sure makes me want to go back.

The food truck in Marfa, parked in the covered area on the Main Street and the rail track was excellent.

Stayed at the Antelope in 08 :thumb: To me , Alpine is a good location to stay , that way you can see most of Big Bend in day trips .

I have stayed at the Hampton Inn in Alpine numerous times. They are motorcycle friendly and allow you to park your bikes just about anywhere. They also have a fairly new Holiday Express in town. For dining the Reata in Alpine is good. And don't forget to check out the Pizza Foundation in Marfa.

Lots of good recommendations here. One of my spring rides out West I stayed at the Limpia Hotel in Fort Davis, cool place. Vintage rooms with the old hotel atmosphere and right across the street from the Fort Davis Drug store. I am a steak snob and rarely order one at a restaurant. Their Cowboy Steak looked good so I gave it a whirl. Well mister, I was not disappointing. Breakfast there was good too.

Hint: If you stay in Fort Davis, and want a beer with your meal, you have to bring your own.

My son and I stayed at the Ft Davis Drug Store:

http://www.fortdavisdrugstore.net/#

Very cool place. We were coming up from Big Bend and arrived to check in just a few minutes before their scheduled closing time. I told the lady at the counter we were worried that we'd be too late and she said, "Don't worry, we'd've just put your room key in an envelope with your name on it and scotch-taped it to the front door!" Gotta love small towns...

Good burgers at the soda fountain, too.

The food truck in Marfa, parked in the covered area on the Main Street and the rail track was excellent.

Food Shark. There's also the Grilled Cheese Emporium owned by the same guys. But the hours are odd, to say the least.

Lot's of VRBO options in Marfa too. But likely every other town in the area is less expensive.

I live in Alpine. Antelope lodge is a good choice. There is also the Maverick Inn which is a unique place also. The national chains are here too. For food, La Casita, Guzzi Up, Cow Dog food truck, Bread and Breakfast. And of course for a cold beer you have to go to Harrys Tinaja, the best place in town for a cold one.
Alpine is a good place to stay and ride out of, has most anything you need and is pretty central to the area. Davis Mountain Loop and a ride to the Observatory is a must.

Only reason to go thru Marfa is because its on the way to Pinto Canyon . Pizza factory was ok but as everything else there odd hours . SEYA

Back