• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A gripe, A question, A Kudo, A Moral

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Wolf
I had to hit up my closest dealer today for some parts. After some mediocre service I was told they would have to order the part I needed. Since they are 40 miles from my house and my free time is limited I decided to settle for a 130 jet as apposed to a 132 jet. I fell for the "we have to order the part" once before and it set at the shop for days until I called and checked on the part. On the invoice, Of the part I settled for, it stated $11.xx and then it had a collum that said discount $5 and I paid $6 and change.
I do not mind paying extra for the now factor, I don't mind paying for good customer service, and I don't mind paying extra to keep my money in the community. Where do you draw the line? I can order the jets on line for less than $3. That's the price with out the $5 discount. So the dealers got it at almost 4 times the price but is hooking me up with a discount and I only have to pay double. By Ordering It online it will be delivered to my house and well the customer service is pretty much non exsistant at this dealership.
The more I thought about settling on the 130 the more frustrated I got.So on the way back to the house I shot a call to Skid and asked him what brand carbs the Kawasaki's had because Wilderness Kawasaki is less than 10 miles from the house. He wasn't sure so I turned in. As soon as I stepped in the door I was greeted by a guy in the back. I headed to the empty parts counter. There was a lady in another cubicle that greeted me and asked if I needed help. I asked her what brand carbs were on the Kows, she didn't know and called someone to the parts counter. We made small talk while I waited. A lady named Amy came out to the parts counter, greeted me and asked if she could help. I told her what I needed and she said they were still getting stocked up on parts and did not have any jets right now. She couldn't remember the name of the carb and looked it up for me. They use Keihin just like the Honda. She offered to order a 5 pack of jets for me for $24 and they should be there tommorow. We chatted for awhile and I told her consider it a sale. Everyone in that place was nice and helpfull and for that I don't mind paying a little extra or waiting a day. Kudos to them!

The Moral of the story is I'll be checking with the Kawasaki dealer first, Then I will order it on line, As a last resort I will head into houston to get my parts, and doubt that I will be returning to the dealer 40 miles away. So, I guess I answered my own question pertaining to me but where do you draw the line?

you could have ordered them from the Harley place or the BMW place as virtually all motorcycle shops order from Tucker Rocky.

there is a combo lawn mower /Suzuki dealer in Burleson and they used to have great service, fist place I have ever been that actually called as soon as something you ordered came in.

I don't know when it happened but like a light switch suddenly service took a dive and they started charging a $14.95 shipping and handling charge on everything. I needed a set of tiny pilot jets, something that doesn't weigh a half ounce and it was like $8 for the jets and $14.95 S&H. I walked out and have not gone back.

you must have gone to wild west

Is this for the new CRF230 you got for Snoopster? If so, you'll find the 132 is too big. Long thread on Thumpertalk on that. Early in the thread they went with 132, but later a guy dyno'd it and decided on 120. I tried both and found the 120 to be better. I'm in about the same altitude as you. If it is for another bike, then never mind and sorry for going off track.

If the store has jets or little items like that in stock that I need now I'll get them. Most parts I order online though. For gear I tend to use local places if they carry it just because I want to be able to try it on and figure I need to reward/support them for having it in stock.

Last edited:
Is this for the new CRF230 you got for Snoopster? If so, you'll find the 132 is too big. Long thread on Thumpertalk on that. Early in the thread they went with 132, but later a guy dyno'd it and decided on 120. I tried both and found the 120 to be better. I'm in about the same altitude as you. If it is for another bike, then never mind and sorry for going off track.

It is for the 230. I looked for awhile on line and found 2 seperate set ups that were a reoccuring theme. One was 132 M, 45 P, and needle in the 4 position or the up grade needle. The other was the 120 M, 45(or 42) P and the needle in the 3rd. I actually bought a 120 main :mrgreen: today so I can try both set ups. I guess when the CRF230F came out honda rolled out a Power up jet kit that came with a 132, 45 and a new needle that you installed once you uncorked it.
I figured the 120 was to small and bought it just in case but now I will have to try it first when I get off work in the morning. The previouse owner added a FMF powercore 4 can and a K&N air filter but never jetted it. I haven't checked to see if he messed with the airbox yet. Before heading into town I pulled the main to see where I was sitting. It had a 102 in it :eek2: I can't wait to slap a bigger jet in there and test ride it.
Poser, I have been wanting to ride over there by mason for awhile. There is also a place they call the Cliffs in Katy that my friends ride. It is in the same area. I have been wanting to take the XR400 out there. since I tweeked the carb. I will PM U when I head to Jamies to go test it out.

I had an aftermarket exhaust, but can't remember what it was. I think I ran twinair air filters, but they might have been NoToil. I had the power up needle from Honda in it too. With the 132 it got flat in the upper half of the throttle range, but it was so much better than the 102 stock I left it for a while. Then I needed to rejet for Ouray, CO area and put in a 110 (worked great, BTW), and tried the recommended 120 when I came home since I had to change anyway. Major difference over the 132. Pulled hard up right up to bouncing off the rev limiter.

FYI, I put the Baja Designs enduro kit on it. Lights and plate holder, but no turn signals. I had to add a mirror and horn, but used an electric bicycle horn that was easy to remove. Extremely easy to install and it was ready to get plated. I had some title fun and didn't get the bike plated before I resolved that. By then my son wasn't riding and I sold it. Kind of regret it since it was so easy to ride and it was nice to have a bike to teach people on.

I had an aftermarket exhaust, but can't remember what it was. I think I ran twinair air filters, but they might have been NoToil. I had the power up needle from Honda in it too. With the 132 it got flat in the upper half of the throttle range, but it was so much better than the 102 stock I left it for a while. Then I needed to rejet for Ouray, CO area and put in a 110 (worked great, BTW), and tried the recommended 120 when I came home since I had to change anyway. Major difference over the 132. Pulled hard up right up to bouncing off the rev limiter.

FYI, I put the Baja Designs enduro kit on it. Lights and plate holder, but no turn signals. I had to add a mirror and horn, but used an electric bicycle horn that was easy to remove. Extremely easy to install and it was ready to get plated. I had some title fun and didn't get the bike plated before I resolved that. By then my son wasn't riding and I sold it. Kind of regret it since it was so easy to ride and it was nice to have a bike to teach people on.

One thing I did read was that the power up needle isn't realy needed for the 04 because the 04 needle has 5 adjustments on it. I think in 06 they went to 2 so I held off on the power up needle. I can't wait to get off work and tinker with it.

Poser, I have been wanting to ride over there by mason for awhile. There is also a place they call the Cliffs in Katy that my friends ride. It is in the same area. I have been wanting to take the XR400 out there. since I tweeked the carb. I will PM U when I head to Jamies to go test it out.

just let me know, there was someone else wanting to check it out too.
Like I said in another thread, you can ride there after work on just a few hours and get your fix. Its not as great as the forest, but its 5 minutes from home.

Back