• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Newbie from Inner Loop Houston

Martin

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Lide
Recently bought an 07 Yamaha FJR AE.

Tried a cruiser after 30 years off of motorcycles. Liked the Cruiser but after a couple of years I realized that I was riding the wrong category of bike for my particular tastes. Recently got the Yammer and I could not be happier with a motorcycle. I heard about this site and heard there were quite a few sport touring types here. Additionally the openess towards any type of bike that I see is appealing. Looking forward to getting involved.

Yamma Jamma :clap:

You are the second new comer with an '07 FJR in as many days. They did away with the PDP program for the FJR's this year, right?

Welcome to the site.

You are the second new comer with an '07 FJR in as many days. They did away with the PDP program for the FJR's this year, right?

Welcome to the site.

What is the PDP program?

and thanks for the welcome.

What is the PDP program?

Put a deposit down and wait..... and wait.... and wait..... I was going to buy an FJR in '04, but pulled the deposit after 6 months and bought a Harley. They had one in stock for the first time ever. :lol2:

What is the PDP program?

I guess that is a yes. Kurt pretty much described it. Preferred delivery program. Yamaha would basically import how ever many bikes they had deposits for and that is it. I had a ~ 7 month wait for my '06 FJR but I was still riding my FZ6 at the time.

Put a deposit down and wait..... and wait.... and wait..... I was going to buy an FJR in '04, but pulled the deposit after 6 months and bought a Harley. They had one in stock for the first time ever. :lol2:

When I first became interested, about three months back there were few in stock.

Houston Motorports out 59 south gave me the best deal and had an AE (Clutchless) sitting on the floor which I bought. I went in for my 600 mile maintenance and HM had two FJR 's sitting on the floor, one AE and one clutch.

The south is cruiser land and ST1300's and FJR's have not moved well so dealers held back on stock on both bikes and maybe the mfg's held back on production but Sport tourers seem to be gaining in popularity so stocks appear to be going up.

If I were interested in cross country traveling I might have gotten an old wing but for around Texas and particularly local travel (590 pounds) I love the thing, couldn't be happier. I liked the Beamers too but drive out was a lot higher for essentially the same bike, it seemed.

How do you like the clutchless shifts on the AE model? I read an article about it the other day and was interested. Pretty cool?

Oh, and welcome :welcome:

Welcome! :wave:

This site is very friendly. There's the occasional brand/bike bashing, but the mods get on top of that very quickly.

How do you like the clutchless shifts on the AE model. I read an article about it the other day and was interested. Pretty cool?

Oh, and welcome :welcome:

It is great. There is no clutch to pull and I have a choice of shifting with my left foot or my finger and thumb on the left handlebar. I choose to shift with my finger. It is smooth and easy. I love it.

Welcome,
Come on down to Ming's on Thursday evenings and meet some of the crew. It is really a mixed bag of bikes and riders.

Welcome,
Come on down to Ming's on Thursday evenings and meet some of the crew. It is really a mixed bag of bikes and riders.

Thanks for the invite. Ming's is about a mile from my house. I 'll try to make it. Problem is that I co-host an open mic in Old Town Spring on Thursday nights and it's a standing obligation, but I'll get over to Ming's sooner or later.

I've seen yall there on my way home from time to time.

Welcome. I'd be on a FJR also but there were none to be had in '04 when I was ready for a Sport Tourer and I didn't want to wait so I went Honda.

Is that you in the avatar feeding that tiger?

Welcome. I'd be on a FJR also but there were none to be had in '04 when I was ready for a Sport Tourer and I didn't want to wait so I went Honda.

Is that you in the avatar feeding that tiger?

no, not me with the tiger....just liked the picture.

ST1300 is a fine bike. there is a COP at Starbuck's almost every day near my house who has the police addition, A bike never had a bigger advocate. Look forward to meeting you.

Recently bought an 07 Yamaha FJR AE.

Tried a cruiser after 30 years off of motorcycles. Liked the Cruiser but after a couple of years I realized that I was riding the wrong category of bike for my particular tastes. Recently got the Yammer and I could not be happier with a motorcycle. I heard about this site and heard there were quite a few sport touring types here. Additionally the openess towards any type of bike that I see is appealing. Looking forward to getting involved.

Yamma Jamma :clap:

Congrats, I've had mine about 3 months really like it so far. Excellent comfortable upright rider position and power to weight ratio. Also very good handling for a sport tourer. Enjoy, T.

Back