• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I will be riding in Texas soon - need advices

Re: I will be riding in Texas soon - Need your advices :)

Hey, thank you, Tourmeister for your effort to arrange this for me.
Hopefully things would be settled and we could enjoy riding together.
I am really excited... Just counting everyday...

Check this out:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1055155&postcount=5

He lives about an hour West of me (which is opposite the direction I would be taking you for a ride).

Exactly which days would you be riding here in Texas. Also, are you wanting to start the day in Houston and also end the day in Houston, or are you up for spending the night somewhere if you will be riding for more than just one day?

Check this out:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1055155&postcount=5

He lives about an hour West of me (which is opposite the direction I would be taking you for a ride).

Exactly which days would you be riding here in Texas. Also, are you wanting to start the day in Houston and also end the day in Houston, or are you up for spending the night somewhere if you will be riding for more than just one day?

Yes, I have contacted him after seeing his post. Hopefully we can work it out.

For the ride out that weekend, I would be very flexible. Whatever more convenience for you and that give us more good roads and views...
During that time, I will still have my hotel room in Houston and also a rental car with me. And I am there alone. I can live in a motel or a tent while ride out without any issue.
Just let me leave my hotel after Friday 7AM and come back hotel before Sunday 4PM then I would be fine, ready for the Monday work.
Or even we can try Ozark then back within 3 days. :rider: :lol2:

Yes, I have contacted him after seeing his post. Hopefully we can work it out.

For the ride out that weekend, I would be very flexible. Whatever more convenience for you and that give us more good roads and views...
During that time, I will still have my hotel room in Houston and also a rental car with me. And I am there alone. I can live in a motel or a tent while ride out without any issue.
Just let me leave my hotel after Friday 7AM and come back hotel before Sunday 4PM then I would be fine, ready for the Monday work.
Or even we can try Ozark then back within 3 days. :rider: :lol2:

:tab Well, the back by 4pm on Sunday might be an issue if you tried to go up into Arkansas as the ride back from NW Arkansas is usually around 11-12 hours just to get to Huntsville, then you have the time to get from Huntsville back to Houston. However, that would be plenty of time to do a good trip out into the Texas Hill Country. Also, I suspect we might be able to find some folks that would be willing to lend a spare bed/couch for a night or two. Picking up the bike in College Station would be right on the way for a trip that direction. You could just drive your rental car up there, leave it at the house, then pick it up when you get back.

:tab I don't know that I'd be able to ride with you all three days though. I'll check to see if I can get that weekend free (including all day Friday).

Thank you. So we just make Sat and Sun for riding for your convenience.
I am very flexible there. Route and destination is up to your recommendation.
However, I am excited to know more detail about the plan, appreciate if you have a route map.

:tab I can get Friday off from work. That way we can meet in College Station in the morning, head over toward Austin and points beyond that same day. Maybe we can find someone in the Kerrville area that can put us up Friday night. We could do the rest of the Hill Country on Saturday, returning to Austin Saturday evening. Get up Sunday and leave Austin for College Station (about two hours or so). I might be able to find us a place to stay in Austin.

:tab Friday is my birthday, so my wife and kids might want to do something. I'll see if I can't persuade them to do something Thursday evening instead ;-)

:tab I can get Friday off from work. That way we can meet in College Station in the morning, head over toward Austin and points beyond that same day. Maybe we can find someone in the Kerrville area that can put us up Friday night. We could do the rest of the Hill Country on Saturday, returning to Austin Saturday evening. Get up Sunday and leave Austin for College Station (about two hours or so). I might be able to find us a place to stay in Austin.

:tab Friday is my birthday, so my wife and kids might want to do something. I'll see if I can't persuade them to do something Thursday evening instead ;-)

Looks like we may need some candles to blow for the first night of the ride then! :rider: I like party :eat:

Per your suggestion, I just tried to put it up on Googlemap. This link:

So we just have around 550miles for 03days :doh:?? Is that too short?

So we just have around 550miles for 03days ?? Is that too short?

Scott will have to answer but

tourmeister said:
We could do the rest of the Hill Country on Saturday, returning to Austin Saturday evening.
I think you are gonna have a few miles in the bolded portion that are un-accounted for in your google map if I'm guessing right. lol They'll be the ones you'll most likely remember, too. :trust:

Search for 16 south of Kerrville, then head west on 337 to 335, 336. The Sisters. Enjoy.

Looks like we may need some candles to blow for the first night of the ride then! :rider: I like party :eat:

Per your suggestion, I just tried to put it up on Googlemap. This link:

So we just have around 550miles for 03days :doh:?? Is that too short?

:tab We will be doing mostly back roads, not the highways. Also, we will be heading further West than Kerrville, several hundred miles of roads not shown on your map.

:tab We still need to find you a bike first ;-)

Not for the roads you'll be riding. :sun:
Scott will have to answer but

I think you are gonna have a few miles in the bolded portion that are un-accounted for in your google map if I'm guessing right. lol They'll be the ones you'll most likely remember, too. :trust:

Search for 16 south of Kerrville, then head west on 337 to 335, 336. The Sisters. Enjoy.
:tab We will be doing mostly back roads, not the highways. Also, we will be heading further West than Kerrville, several hundred miles of roads not shown on your map.

:tab We still need to find you a bike first ;-)
Haha... That sound great. I was thinking of Scott may drink too much for his B-day then just don't want to go too far then :mrgreen:

However, bike first. :trust:

About 12 years ago, I co-started an annual ride to West Virginia. I leved in Virginia at the time, so don't be impressed.

Moved to Houston in 2008, and in 2009, I decided to join them again - here's the route I took.

Departed Houston, and the Southern section took me through Birmingham, Alabama - and the Barber Motorsports Museum. Good. The roads only start to get good there, in my opinion.

My first day - "G-B" - was very short, as I fell down (rain, wet road, gas station slick entrance, etc) - the repairs cost me at least 5 hours. All interstate.

"B-C" on the 2nd day was long - but, as others have said, all interstate roads.

"C-D" on Day 3 included Deals Gap, and the Cherahola Skyway (even if that's not the purple line shown), and more interstate. And then on to the destination of Marlinton, West Virginia.

After the weekend, "D-F" was nice and short, interstate, and the purpose was to stop in Kentucky and tour at least one Bourbon (Whisky) distillery / bottler. Did so, highly recommended.

"E-F" was long, interstate.

"F-G" same.

Guess what I'm saying is, just riding to get from A to B, on unfamiliar roads in an unfamiliar country, is not recommended. I assume from your posts you have a friend in Atlanta?

My free advice - and since you are not paying for it, it cannot be a bad value even if worthless:

1) Do your business in Houston. If you can borrow a bike (I would offer but last week I sold my "spare!), I'd be happy to meet up and go for a ride or so.

2) Ship your gear to Atlanta, you fly. Rent or borrow or buy (have your friend there buy and prepare) a bike in Atlanta. Spend maybe $3,000 on sonething reliable, powerful enough, and safe.

3) Plan a loop from Atlanta to take about 7 days and see the southeast. PICK PLACES TO SEE AND EXPERIENCE. Maybe stay in B&B's, cabins, etc. IF all you do is ride, you'll miss a lot.

4) Possible route?
+ Depart Atlanta Day 1,

+ Night 1 in Deals Gap / Cherahola area. The Dragon is over-rated, but what the **** - you're a tourist, you are entitled to our over-rated places

+ Night 2 & 3 in Cass, West Virginia - I suggest Moores Motor Lodge. OR, Marlinton, WV - I suggest Jerco Cabins and B&B - get a room at the B&B. Tell Lindy the September Motorcycle Riders sent you. Visit / see Seneca Rocks, West Virginia. Ride the Cass Scenic Railroad. Visit the National Radio Astronomy Observatory.

+ Day 4, ride west to and stay in Kentucky - near Frankfurt. Visit a Bourbon distillery or two. I recommend Buffalo Trace. Be careful of the tasting! What the heck - stay there night 5, too.

+ Day 5, ride to Nashville - treat ourself to two nights in a decent hote, with secure parking. Visit the Grand Old Opry. Walk the street at night. Nights 5 and 6 in Nashville.

+ Day 7, ride to Birmingham AL - visit Barber Motorsports Museum. If you can afford the time and $, take a riding school there at the track. Night 7 and 8 in Birmingham. Visit some Civil Rights historic places.

+ Day 9, back to Atlanta.

It's a slow, relaxed pace. You won't be rushed. But SEE STUFF. Eat BBQ everywhere - it's different. Drink local beer or bourbon. If at all possible, go with someone. Listen to country music. Avoid chain restaurants and hotels. Stay safe, but don't be paranoid. Visit Civil War battlefields and museums.

An alternative would be to go through Virginia and see the coast - there's lots of history there, too - The Citadel in Charleston, SC - wow. Naval Academy in Annapolis MD - wow too.

Best wishes in planning,

Neil

Attachments

• 2009 Route.jpg
    2009 Route.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 156

Awesome advice, Nchristie. Really appreciate your knowledge and write up time.
Very detail plan. Gotta study it carefully though.

5 more days...
I think I found something....
@Scott: Are you ready for 3 days trip? :rider:

5 more days...
I think I found something....
@Scott: Are you ready for 3 days trip? :rider:

After this week of work, I will be VERY ready! ;-)

What did you find?

After this week of work, I will be VERY ready! ;-)

What did you find?

That's really good Scott. Can't wait!!!!
So you mean we can depart from 5 and come back at 7 Oct?
I have found some bikes around Houston and need to be secured by my arrival. My friend there will help me to do so.
Ah, btw, what if a bike need to clean carb - is that expensive to fix in Houston?

That's really good Scott. Can't wait!!!!
So you mean we can depart from 5 and come back at 7 Oct?
I have found some bikes around Houston and need to be secured by my arrival. My friend there will help me to do so.
Ah, btw, what if a bike need to clean carb - is that expensive to fix in Houston?

I have Friday the 5th off from work.

I would not pay to fix someone else's bike. That will take time and you don't know up front how much you may be paying. Much better if you can find a bike to rent that is in good working condition and just pay the rental fee.

Hi Scott.
Not worrying for the bike now. I got something.... :sun:
So what is our riding detail then?
What time should I depart? I may depart from downtown Houston or around Zip 77095.
What time is my ETA back to departure location?
Where we stay for the Fri and Sat nights? What is daily budget? Anyone else will join us?
I normally wear leather gears while riding out. Is is too hot there to wear full leather?
I am anxious to meet you in person.

Wish I could bring my bike there..... :rider:

_DSC1676.jpg

Hi Scott.
Not worrying for the bike now. I got something.... :sun:
So what is our riding detail then?
What time should I depart? I may depart from downtown Houston or around Zip 77095.
What time is my ETA back to departure location?
Where we stay for the Fri and Sat nights? What is daily budget? Anyone else will join us?
I normally wear leather gears while riding out. Is is too hot there to wear full leather?
I am anxious to meet you in person.

:tab You have a bike for sure?

:tab That zip is on the NW side of town right off US 290. So probably what we may want to do is meet somewhere so you don't have to ride up here to Huntsville, which would be quite out of the way for you. Let me spend some time staring at my maps to come up with a good route as that will dictate where to meet. Departure time would be around 8:00-8:30am for you, meet up around 9:30-10:am (depending on where we meet). After meeting, we can head West toward Kerrville (West of Austin on I-10). That is where we'll probably stay Friday and maybe even Saturday night. I'll do some checking on places to stay.

:tab Daily budget? Well, figure about $18-20 per tank of gas. Maybe 2-3 tanks a day at the most. Food, figure maybe $10-20 per meal depending on how you like to eat. Hotel room could range anywhere from $50-$200/night. I lean more toward the $75-125/night range as anything cheaper can be kind of iffy and anything more is not really worth it.

:tab I generally don't like to get riding much before about 8:30-9:00am. I like to be done sometime in the evening a little before dark, but still back in time to get a decent dinner ;-) This will be PRIME deer season in the Hill Country so things can get dicey as the sun starts going down and the deer really start coming out along the roads... :huh2:

:tab I figure we can ride out Friday, doing some fun stuff on the way. Do the bulk of the Hill Country Saturday. Come home Sunday. If you slab home, Kerrville to NW Houston on I-10 is maybe 5 hours or so (250 miles). So if we are up and riding Sunday morning by 9:00am, that leaves you tons of time to get back by 4:00pm.

:tab I don't know if we'll have anyone joining us or not. I can post a thread in the Upcoming Ride/Trips/Events forum and see what turns up ;-)

Wish I could bring my bike there..... :rider:

_DSC1676.jpg

Yeah, that would be a perfect bike for this ride!

I could join you on Saturday for the Hill Country. Where will you be staying in Kerrville?. Or will you come towards Bandera to begin?

Timbercat
IPad using Tapatalk HD

This sounds like quite an interesting ride. I'm even thinking about it, but not sure if you guys would slow down enough for me. :) Then again, there's Wifey...who I can normally talk into just about anything.

I was thinking that on Friday we'd come around the South side of Austin, head out past Wimberly and then work West through Kendalia, Blanco, Comfort and then to Kerrville. There are a lot of fun little FMs and little country roads in that area.

I won't be running a hot dog pace. Too many other riders, LEO, and deer out there this time of year. I generally run the speed limit plus a bit depending on condition. I have my fun in the corners, not going fast on the straights.

:tab You have a bike for sure?

:tab That zip is on the NW side of town right off US 290. So probably what we may want to do is meet somewhere so you don't have to ride up here to Huntsville, which would be quite out of the way for you. Let me spend some time staring at my maps to come up with a good route as that will dictate where to meet. Departure time would be around 8:00-8:30am for you, meet up around 9:30-10:am (depending on where we meet). After meeting, we can head West toward Kerrville (West of Austin on I-10). That is where we'll probably stay Friday and maybe even Saturday night. I'll do some checking on places to stay.

:tab Daily budget? Well, figure about $18-20 per tank of gas. Maybe 2-3 tanks a day at the most. Food, figure maybe $10-20 per meal depending on how you like to eat. Hotel room could range anywhere from $50-$200/night. I lean more toward the $75-125/night range as anything cheaper can be kind of iffy and anything more is not really worth it.

:tab I generally don't like to get riding much before about 8:30-9:00am. I like to be done sometime in the evening a little before dark, but still back in time to get a decent dinner ;-) This will be PRIME deer season in the Hill Country so things can get dicey as the sun starts going down and the deer really start coming out along the roads... :huh2:

:tab I figure we can ride out Friday, doing some fun stuff on the way. Do the bulk of the Hill Country Saturday. Come home Sunday. If you slab home, Kerrville to NW Houston on I-10 is maybe 5 hours or so (250 miles). So if we are up and riding Sunday morning by 9:00am, that leaves you tons of time to get back by 4:00pm.

:tab I don't know if we'll have anyone joining us or not. I can post a thread in the Upcoming Ride/Trips/Events forum and see what turns up ;-)

Now you may not need to worry about my bike. Just stick to the plan.
Looking for your detail route planing, and counting every hours...
Optimistic that I can have some bike photos to post here this weekend. :trust:

I also wanna go for the medium-low cost option for the lodging. Just make sure our bikes are secured.
I have with me the Hydration back pack with full leather gears, so I can do really serious riding. I normally start riding from 04-05AM here in Vietnam. So don't worry.
However, just do what you think it's right over there. I will follow.
I will discuss further with my Houston friend that whether departing from his home or from my hotel.
Never seen any deer on road in Vietnam, but dogs and buffalos. :lol2:

Looks like we will have some more buddies going to join.... :rider: :rider: :rider:

I like this, Scott.
I generally run the speed limit plus a bit depending on condition. I have my fun in the corners, not going fast on the straights.
I do love the twisties as well. :clap:
However, don't stop me when I wanna try the redline of my bike. :eat:

Back