• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

*Nod* from Austin

Reaction score
Heyas, I'm Todd. I am 41 and live in north east Austin, almost in Pflugerville.

I hadn't ridden in close to 20 years, and had to find an alternative to my recently-totaled car (ugh: a kid with neither a license, nor insurance, nor registration. The cop only ticketed him for running the red light).

So I took the MSF course, got my license, and bought a 1985 BMW K100RT - I'd always wanted a K-bike. It's in the process of getting fixed up at On Road Off Road right now (is there anybody else in Austin who works on old BMWs?). I geared up at Cycle Gear and Amazon (for bright yellow reflective jacket/pants).

I also am now sometimes riding my partner's 1998 Yamaha Virago 1100, but I don't like her bike nearly as much as mine. I have a large frame and really prefer to sit upright, cruisers aren't really my thing.

I ride fairly paranoid - I'm prioritizing on visibility, and assume until proven otherwise that every person driving a car on the road is actively plotting my death :)

Anyway, once I have a pro get the bike up to snuff I hope to take over its mechanical maintenance. So I'm definitely interested in BMW tips & tricks (though I do know about the K-Bike tech page) as well as general riding topics. I intend to be riding this bike a long time, it's only got 76k miles on it!

Hi!
--
Todd
1985 BMW K100RT
(sometimes) 1998 Yamaha Virago VX1100

Last edited:
Welcome back to riding and to TWT! :wave:

You must post pics when you get the bike back :-P

Welcome to TWT and back to bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the welcomes! Very nice of you.

You must post pics when you get the bike back :-P

Sir, what do you take me for? :-P Of course I already have photos! They're just not very ... active. It's got the "brick" part of "flying brick" down, at least...

picture.php
picture.php

Welcome to the club, It sounds like you have the right attitude towards all the other traffic out there (assume they want to kill you and you wont go far wrong!). Hope you enjoy the new toy and that we might see you on some of the rideouts..

Gary

PVille! Welcome to TWT. Head east a bit and you have some great roads to build miles on your new ride. The area north of Manor has a lot of 90 degree turns around farm land, and relatively low traffic volume.

And remember, that kid that tried to kill you is still out here driving. You really don't want to meet them again on the K.

I ride fairly paranoid - I'm prioritizing on visibility, and assume until proven otherwise that every person driving a car on the road is actively plotting my death :)

That's exactly what I believe people in cars are trying to do (I wonder how many points we are worth??)

Welcome to the site!

It is sickening to hear Todd's ride was totalled by a totally unlicensed [and i hesitate to use the term] driver that got away with just a "running red light ticket"! Someone needs to be drawn and quartered.......

It is sickening to hear Todd's ride was totalled by a totally unlicensed [and i hesitate to use the term] driver that got away with just a "running red light ticket"! Someone needs to be drawn and quartered.......

Seriously. If somebody's gonna trash my car and injure both me (bruised ribs) and my partner (she had some whiplash), they can at least have the good grace to be able to pay for any of it. Thank goodness for side-impact air bags.

But, hey - at least I got the bike for $1800, which was less than the salvage I got for the car.

And thanks for the welcomes!! I'm really psyched to see such a welcoming community, getting to a ride sometime soon after I get the bike back would be really cool!

Back