TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > User Reviews of Bikes, Mods, Gear, etc,...

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #21
cdc
Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter

Re: GPS Advice?!?

I thought the mount for the Nav V was the smarter solution. You are already used to the unit and getting power should not be an issue.

ⓒⓓⓒ
'13 BMW K1600GT (Apr 5/13)
'12 BMW K1600GT (Gone Nov. 16/12): http://goo.gl/7YMaHq
'06 Yamaha FJR 1300AE-Sold
'04 Suzuki SV650-Sold
'82 Suzuki 500GS-Sold
'78 Yamaha SR500-Sold
cdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #22
Dahveed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc View Post
I thought the mount for the Nav V was the smarter solution. You are already used to the unit and getting power should not be an issue.

If it lets me load the map. I think I have everything I need to mount it to the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The DFW Area DS Road Map
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #23
MacDaddy

I have a Montana the currently sits around the house a lot (I need to get out more) that you're welcome to try out for a few weeks if you like. It has its own powered cradle (you provide the ram ball mount on your bike) and I spliced on a Powerlet (BMW) socket on the end of the cord so it can go from bike to bike as needed.

Gray 14 Tenere ES
White 12 Burgman Exec (You got a problem with that?)
White 18 Honda PCX (153 cc of Heck and Fury)
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #24
Dahveed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
I have a Montana the currently sits around the house a lot (I need to get out more) that you're welcome to try out for a few weeks if you like. It has its own powered cradle (you provide the ram ball mount on your bike) and I spliced on a Powerlet (BMW) socket on the end of the cord so it can go from bike to bike as needed.
Thanks for the generous offer Steve. I just ordered the refrubed Montana 600 from GPSCITY.

The Nav 5 has a finite amount of memory and I didn't want to start uploading new maps and replacing the old one for fear of never getting it back to normal and bricking it. The Montana takes MicroSD cards for additional storage.

Thanks to all that have contributed to this discussion.

The DFW Area DS Road Map
Old 01-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #25
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

One comment about batteries. I have repeatedly had issues with batteries vibrating in the unit and losing connection, causing the unit to power down or even lock up. Sometimes, putting a foam ear plug in the case between the batteries and the cover would help for a while. This happened with the 276CS, 60CS, and even the Montana 600. It happened with the standard battery in the 276 and the Montana, and also with AA's in all three units. For this reason, I switched all units to being powered from the bike and have never had any further issues. Although, my 276 did eventually die I use the Montana powered cradle. I have never had any problems with it even in very rough riding conditions.

I use the 600 for dual sporting. Sometimes the screen gets dirty. I just wipe it with my glove. If the screen gets messed up because of the touchscreen interface, I just hit the "return" arrow in the lower left of the screen and it goes right back to what I was last viewing. My biggest gripe about the touchscreen versus the rocker button of the 276/60 is that it is VERY hard to precisely location a drop pin or the cursor to highlight or identify something on the map, like when trying to pick a particular road. I have to sit and fidget with it, trying multiple times to get the cursor where I want it It was MUCH easier to be precise with the rocker button.

As for being able to see the screen, the biggest issue is my vision, not the unit. I would LOVE it if I could make the fonts bigger. I have everything set as big as it can go, but it is still just a hair too small. I used to be able to stand up and see it better, but not any more...

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #26
Dahveed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
As for being able to see the screen, the biggest issue is my vision, not the unit. I would LOVE it if I could make the fonts bigger. I have everything set as big as it can go, but it is still just a hair too small. I used to be able to stand up and see it better, but not any more...
Its NOT you or me, its the fonts are actually getting smaller...

I ordered the powered cradle thing too. Its backordered until today. If it doesn't ship today or tomorrow, I'll drop the missing bracket and get everything else quicker.

I've never ordered anything from these people, but I'm hoping they're honest. I have ordered parts from another vendor and called in mid-December (on a Friday) to check on a backordered part. They assured me it would be in Monday or Tuesday and shipped out to me the following day. Called again last Friday (Jan 5) and was told the same story. At least they lie consistently...

The DFW Area DS Road Map
Old 01-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #27
MacDaddy

I think you'll be very happy with the Montana. I'm no GPS guru but I like mine. BTW, I've ordered a few things from GPS City and they've been very good.

Gray 14 Tenere ES
White 12 Burgman Exec (You got a problem with that?)
White 18 Honda PCX (153 cc of Heck and Fury)
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #28
Liteitup
Forum Supporter

I just got an email that mine shipped today. I already had a cradle, came with my KTM. At least, I hope it's the right one.

I got these lines in my face
Tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life
G. Clark
Liteitup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:47 PM   #29
Dahveed

Mine shipped today.

The DFW Area DS Road Map
Old 01-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #30
Bajaexplorer

I have had my Montana for about 3 years.

Got rained on and does not act right sometimes.
It keeps defaulting to the default screen at times.

Still like my Montana and would buy another.
600 is not made anymore(?), so i have to go with 650, if its still made.
Bajaexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #31
Dahveed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajaexplorer View Post
I have had my Montana for about 3 years.

Got rained on and does not act right sometimes.
It keeps defaulting to the default screen at times.

Still like my Montana and would buy another.
600 is not made anymore(?), so i have to go with 650, if its still made.
You can buy refurbished Montana 600's from GPSCity.com, but I think you're right, they have been discontinued. If you want the replacement model, its the Montana 610. The only difference is the inclusion of GLONASS (the Russian GPS system) in addition to the US GPS system. Having access to both systems results in better location performance, especially in wooded areas or in canyons.

The DFW Area DS Road Map
Old 01-09-2018, 11:48 PM   #32
Bajaexplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
You can buy refurbished Montana 600's from GPSCity.com, but I think you're right, they have been discontinued. If you want the replacement model, its the Montana 610. The only difference is the inclusion of GLONASS (the Russian GPS system) in addition to the US GPS system. Having access to both systems results in better location performance, especially in wooded areas or in canyons.
Thank you very much for that info.
Think i had rather go with the 610 then.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:04 AM   #33
JT
Forum Supporter

Bajaexplorer, according to this page, Garmin will exchange your out of warranty Montana 600 for a refurbished one for $160. https://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html
Call them and explain what you need.
2006 DL1000
2001 XR650R tagged
2003 KLX400R tagged
2007 300XCW not tagged-yet

Last edited by JT; 01-10-2018 at 12:05 AM.
JT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:31 AM   #34
Dahveed

Quote:
Thank you very much for that info.
Think i had rather go with the 610 then.
Its $100 premium. I choose the 600 because I've never heard anyone complain that the 600 has signal reception issues. But a 610 would have been fine if the 600s were sold out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT View Post
Bajaexplorer, according to this page, Garmin will exchange your out of warranty Montana 600 for a refurbished one for $160. https://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html
That's a good deal there. A "new" refrubed 600 is $300. So scoring one for $160 is a deal.

Garmin must have a warehouse full of these repaired 600's

The DFW Area DS Road Map

Last edited by Dahveed; 01-10-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:42 AM   #35
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

The touchscreen on my first 600 died, right in the corners so you could not exit the map, even if you rotated between portrait and landscape mode. I think it was maybe a year old. Garmin replaced it for free. I've had my second one for at least 4-5 years now I think...? No problems with it other than the battery vibration issue I mentioned before.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 01-10-2018, 05:53 AM   #36
Bajaexplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT View Post
Well then maybe just send this one back.

Quote:
Its $100 premium. I choose the 600 because I've never heard anyone complain that the 600 has signal reception issues. But a 610 would have been fine if the 600s were sold out.

That's a good deal there. A "new" refrubed 600 is $300. So scoring one for $160 is a deal.

Garmin must have a warehouse full of these repaired 600's
Seems I vaguely remember losing sig at one time, unsure.
Think i was in some heavy tree cover at the time.

I had always thought my Montana 600 was suppose to totally waterproof.
Looks what it is made for.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:09 AM   #37
Dahveed

Quote:
Well then maybe just send this one back.

I had always thought my Montana 600 was suppose to totally waterproof.

Looks what it is made for.

It is waterproof up to a certain standard. But sometimes that will fail.

The DFW Area DS Road Map
Old 01-11-2018, 04:15 AM   #38
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I've used my 600 in torrential rains and it has never had an issue, unless maybe that touchscreen issue was rain related The replacement has seen a LOT of wet service and still works fine.

Quote:

Old 01-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #39
Dahveed

Got it!

The DFW Area DS Road Map
Old 01-11-2018, 05:47 PM   #40
WoodButcher
Administrator

Quote:
Got it!

And you already ran into a tree looking at it?

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away - American Pie, Don McLean

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote