• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Well crap. Spark plug blew out

That's what the kit directions specified. This kit also staked the insert into place instead of relying on loctite. So I assume it's for sealing purposes not lock purposes they specify RTV.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

My ford triton 5.4 had three time-serts, as at about 100k miles it developed a habit of spitting spark plugs out. 3 in 10k miles.

The head never came off, obviously a lot less practical in that case than on an air cooled bike. Time-sert even makes a special kit for ford triton motors it's so common. Local shop had done loads of them. Drill slow with grease to catch filings, then they'd spray a bunch of carb clean in there (to rise off any grease/filings), then used a shop vac with a thin hose to suck it out, repeated a couple times. None of them ever failed in the brief remaining time I owned the truck.

Just curious, does anyone have a suggestion as to a quick fix should this happen a long way from home. I will file away the two permanent solutions should this ever happen to me. Thanks Ken In Katy.

Aluminum foil could perhaps thread the gap, and if you don't have that then use some wood, like maybe pieces of a couple of tooth picks or really small sticks if you are in a pinch, but just make sure the wood or the aluminum foil don't go beyond the hole or too close to the spark plug boot.

Just curious, does anyone have a suggestion as to a quick fix should this happen a long way from home. I will file away the two permanent solutions should this ever happen to me. Thanks Ken In Katy.

The kit I used is available at all the big box parts stores you pass on the road and can be done in a parking lot with a few extra tools you buy or borrow from the store if need be.

I limped home on 3 cylinders 20 miles this go round but could have rode to the store it was closer haha.

My kit recommend using hi temp RTV so im waiting on that cure time and I'll take it back out on the road.

That's interesting. Was the kit generic 14mm or specific for spark plugs?
I recall RTV isn't reliable around gasoline. But maybe there's some newer stuff that is fuel resistant. :shrug:

It was a spark plug specific kit.

My ford triton 5.4 had three time-serts, as at about 100k miles it developed a habit of spitting spark plugs out. 3 in 10k miles.

I guess that's lucky. Seems like an easier fix than the triton 5.4's that decided to seize the spark plugs in place allowing them to be broken off. :eek2:

I guess that's lucky. Seems like an easier fix than the triton 5.4's that decided to seize the spark plugs in place allowing them to be broken off. :eek2:
I had a 08 Mustang with the modular V8 and when I did the plugs on that car I soaked the plug wells with penetrating fluid for a solid 24 hours before i even attempted to take them out.

I had a 08 Mustang with the modular V8 and when I did the plugs on that car I soaked the plug wells with penetrating fluid for a solid 24 hours before i even attempted to take them out.

There are a few learned tricks to get these out every time no risk or damage
and not overnight soaking and it is the most counter intuitive way possible but works....impact gun......I cringed the first time heard from a tech about this way and worse the first time I did it..but have since done a dozen or more motors now and it just plain works....

My daughter asked my wife a while back if I would change the plugs on my son and laws 05 F150 . I said NO :eek2:

Lol. Idk. My buddy that was a Ford mechanic forever said he uses a wore out impact on them. They took it to Ford to get it done .

Back