• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dent in metal tank

Reaction score
Got a small dent in my VTX's tank when it fell and landed on the edge of the pickup bed as it was being loaded.

Is there an old school way to repair the dent or does it have to be taken to a professional? Would be great if the dent could be pulled out rather than filled in with bondo.

I've got a few body tools and suction cups.

Where do you live?

You really should post a picture of the dent, depending on where it is on the tank and if it has any creases in the metal there could be ways of removing it, but without a picture it is very hard to say. I have managed to push shallow dents out in the past by passing something through the filler cap and pushing on the inside of the tank to force the dent out. I have also pressurized gas tanks with a compressor to force out dents, but it all depends where the dent is and its shape. Need some pictures.

Gary

Or you can try this...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILVWPzO_swY"]Compressed Air Dent Removal - YouTube[/ame]

:clap:

Where do you live?

Originally posted by Thrasherg
You really should post a picture of the dent, ... , but without a picture it is very hard to say ... Need some pictures.

Thanks for all the assistance, I'm in N.W. Houston.

Attachments

• IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 149
heard years ago about filling with water and freezing

I've done this before with 2 stroke pipes and it does work. On a tank, I would monitor it to make sure it wasn't pushing some other part out of shape and it may take a few attempts to get the dent fully out.

Back