• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

beware low sun angle

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

Took the Guzzi out early this morning. Fall-winter-spring bring low sun angles. Really noticed the effect going inbound on the SW freeway. Think "Hun in the Sun" (apologies to my Germanic ancestors). It is hard to see and be seen with sun in your eyes. So, please be careful out there.

By the way, Colorado was magnificent, but did not ride. Early fall. Aspens astonishing. Light snow on San Juans. Had to use three sleeping bags to keep warm at non-heated cabin at 9300 feet. Green chilis sublime. No mosquitoes due to light freezes. Caught 5 big brook trout, missed ten fast ones. Caught two very wiley cutthroat trout, missed three.

So, when does it turn fall on the Gulf Coast?

"Never live west of where you work" was something a boss I once had said.

Travelling to and from work, you always face the sun.

Coming home from Cimarron Canyon yesterday, I got my eyeballs fried well & truly, as we drove SE into a rising sun. I could swear it took the sun an hour to rise.

I'm German, too. You can call me anything but a Yankee and I won't take offense.

So, when does it turn fall on the Gulf Coast?

46 years of Sub tropical summers ... Fall Cant come soon enough !
going on Vacation very soon either way Arkansas bound early November.

I for one wont wait if I can help it ...
till it goes from sunny summer to rainy winter:popcorn:

BUT Typically, October... usually :shrug: recently though December been in the 80s

this video fits this post perfectly.
low sun angle

WARNING!: watching this video could cause you to:
1:wet your self
2: get a very high heart rate
3: jump violently out of your chair
4: not ever ride a motorcycle during dawn or dusk hours ever again.

Keeping the sun at my back was factored in when I decided where to live, so I consider that being sillohuetted by the rising sun may make the turn signals disappear. With a six foot plus wing span, I make big hand and arm signals to supplement the turn signals, all in an effort to be seen.

Your shadow points at drivers that can't see you.

I commute to work and home due east and west. Sun is brutal, but I'd rather not have it at my back. Your shadow in front of the bike and the sun in mirrors should set off alarm bells.

Holy crap that video made me jump! :eek2: I've ridden in that before, definitely going to think twice now.

Not an uncommon condition in that video, F_F. I drive a semi up and down rolling hills when the sun rises over the zipper 20+ times, sometimes morning and evening. Stopping and giving the sun 30 minutes to clear is not an option due to USDOT driving clocks. (Just another example of idiotic government unelected lawmakers putting YOU at risk with their (un)safety requirements.) Just thinking about the idiots who make themselves invisible, then pull over with the brakes on hard to make an off ramp scares the heck out of me. I'm sure lots cuss me for riding 5 under the speed limit in the $50 lane, but they don't realize my defensive driving is saving them from the natural consequences of their own selfish and greedy stupidity.

Back