• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW - Would You Buy It?

Yes, Tim she has been out for probably 75 of those miles. She heartily approves and is sorting through her closet to move her riding gear closer to the front so she can now grab it quickly!!

I just posted up the Strom on CraigsList and will try to figure out how to do the same here.

When do you guys get back from Colorado?

The Strom got posted for sale on Craigslist and here on this forum this morning.

The new owner drove away with it loaded on his trailer about an hour and a half ago on his way back to Sherman. He was as happy as a fat kid with a wheelbarrow full of Deep Fried Twinkies :-D

Needless to say, I am thrilled as well. I am confident that he will enjoy "Ol' Yeller" just as much as I did these past 4+ years.

And I got all that I was asking for it. A win-win

I just bought a Honda after 5 beemers and it feels good. Anxiety gone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Fear of failure, not speed. It got bad, I was worried something would break every time out. And, a lot of times it happened.

Ouch. Sure hate to hear that. Both for you and for me!!

What year model & bike did you have issues with, what should I watch out for and at how many miles did the issues begin?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Sometimes its the trail and the rider and not necessarily the horse.

Well I have to say that even though I didn't put but about 6,000 miles on the Strom in the 4 plus years I owned it, it was incredibly reliable. Never had any issues. Always started unless I let battery run down, broke the blinkers off just by passing too close in garage, etc.

I think I'd be hard pressed to find another as reliable as that one but even saying that, I certainly do not hope for issues with this new BMW.

All recalls and maintenance records up to date, and far, so good. For those of you that know, what do I need to be cognizant of moving forward?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

The last one was a 2007 K1200GT. Idle would rise up after about 10 minutes of highway riding, sometimes 1500rpm, sometimes as high as 2200rpm.
Already had the airbox recall done which was for sticking throttle. Took it in and they couldn't fix. Had the fuel pump replaced as a recall as well at 42k miles. There was a lot of noise coming from the FD area, maybe tires, idk. Every one I owned had problems, except for an 08 GS, but I never got over 22k on it.

Well I have to say that even though I didn't put but about 6,000 miles on the Strom in the 4 plus years I owned it, it was incredibly reliable. Never had any issues. Always started unless I let battery run down, broke the blinkers off just by passing too close in garage, etc.

I think I'd be hard pressed to find another as reliable as that one but even saying that, I certainly do not hope for issues with this new BMW.

All recalls and maintenance records up to date, and far, so good. For those of you that know, what do I need to be cognizant of moving forward?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Fear of failure, not speed. It got bad, I was worried something would break every time out. And, a lot of times it happened.

Maybe just congratulate Brian and let him enjoy his purchase?

Maybe just congratulate Brian and let him enjoy his purchase?
Hey dude, nothing against Brian, he seems like a great guy. Just a very bad taste of beemer lingering still. I said I wanted to love BMW.
I hope his never breaks, but I not going to lie or sugar coat the truth with some millennial PC bullcr@p.
They can be very expensive to own. He wants to know and that's the truth.

No offense taken here at all, I do appreciate the candor relative to what you have experienced.

And I will wholeheartedly agree that I did not want any Millennial PC BS smearing over the truth either ? That's a great way to put it.

I have found that some decisions in my life have rewarded me more than others. The important ones are all that really matter to me. I chose the right woman, I like what I do, and I am fairly satisfied with myself so all other things are just gravy in my book! If that BMW turns out to be the best thing I ever bought, that's great. If it turns out to be a lemony clunker, then oh well, I'm willing to take that risk. More importantly, the advice just give me a heads up on what things to be aware of, and for that I am appreciative.

It is my further hope that all of you out there in Two Wheeled Texans world had an opportunity to take care advantage of National Motorcycle Day. Now that's the really important stuff! ?

I suspect you will enjoy the new machine quite a lot. I've owned a lot of bikes, and the BMWs seemed to make me the happiest. They have been about as reliable as the Japanese bikes I've had. Yours is late enough in the production series to have the bugs pretty well worked out - for example, the crown bearing in the EVO-Paralever final drive.

A couple of good sources of information are:
http://bmwsporttouring.com/
http://www.i-bmw.com/

I currently ride a K1600GT and R1200RT. I've accumulated the tools required for owner maintenance, so if I can be of assistance, just PM me. I also have a tire changer and wheel balancing adapters if you need that. The K-bikes can really go through tires during spirited riding.
http://www.marcparnes.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm and https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/3772/Sport-Touring-Motorcycle-Tires are good places to deal with. Bridgestone T-30s currently have a rebate, so I have two spare sets waiting in the wings.

The weather is great, so go out and enjoy it! That's where I'm headed right now.

Thanks for the post. I rode it a week ago Sunday and had 2 different warning lights show up. I was in a huge rush Soni didn't spend much time trying to be very detailed and research them at that time but feel pretty sure that one was a low tire light, reading 35 to 36 psi for the rear and think that the warning triangle I saw next was the flash for low fuel.

I'm pulling it out again tomorrow and will make sure all is aired up perfectly and fuel is topped off before I stress.

I will definitely be calling upon your grace when it comes to my first tire replacement. That's probably sooner than later truthfully.

Any thoughts on what possible luck I could have sending the drivers Day Long seats back to get it adjusted for my shorter inseam than the previous owner?

Was thinking I would get a used factory seat to use while it was sent away.

I hope to get my GT back this week, if I do we can see about you borrowing my extra when you send yours in.

Thanks for the post. I rode it a week ago Sunday and had 2 different warning lights show up. I was in a huge rush Soni didn't spend much time trying to be very detailed and research them at that time but feel pretty sure that one was a low tire light, reading 35 to 36 psi for the rear and think that the warning triangle I saw next was the flash for low fuel.

I'm pulling it out again tomorrow and will make sure all is aired up perfectly and fuel is topped off before I stress.

I will definitely be calling upon your grace when it comes to my first tire replacement. That's probably sooner than later truthfully.

Any thoughts on what possible luck I could have sending the drivers Day Long seats back to get it adjusted for my shorter inseam than the previous owner?

Was thinking I would get a used factory seat to use while it was sent away.

I had Michelin Pilot Roads on my GT. They seemed pretty well matched to the bike. I liked them.
Motorcycle Superstore has a $1 installation promo with participating dealers. You order tires from M.S., have them shipped to the program dealer nearest you. They install them for a dollar. Pretty nice deal. Look on the website for dealers involved.

I have had a remodeling project going on at my house so I haven't had very little time to be out on the bike. But, after the Thanksgiving holiday I think I will try to get that seat sent in. I would be interested in seeing if you were willing to entertain the idea of letting me borrow yours or at least picking your brain as far as seat height goes before I make this move.

No prob, Brian. I actually have a spare VStrom seat you can use..... OH WAIT, you sold your Strom! :-P

Talk about a broken heart! Started reading this thread, saw the pictures of the Strom, read about the lowered seat, $3300, and there was a thumping in my chest and visions of a fly-and-ride. Then read of the new owner driving away in ecstasy? Oh, well.

Brian, I wish you many (s)miles on your new ride. It's beautiful!

I had the sister bike to this one, a K1300S. She was bad in every way. The faster you go, the better the ride. I don't ride fast but one morning on the way home from work a car sped up trying to keep me from getting in front of them. The next thing I know my bike feels better than it ever has. I look down and I am going 95. I swear my bike was telling me to go faster. I sold her that week.

Back