• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thinking of switching from a sporty bike to a Harley

Don't overlook a Gold Wing. You get strong smooth performance, light handling, and comfort all in one. I went from a Honda NT700 to a 2009 Wing. Like going from a Ford Focus to a Lincoln.

Keep the sunny side up.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

It is infectious. A HD is a OLD mans motorcycle in the feel, fit, form, function.

Fixed that for you! XD
I'm usually the first one to talk smack about Harley's marketing is-more-important-than technology approach, but honestly there's something really engaging about the Road King. It has beautiful proportions and a sort of art deco style that I really like. The riding position looks a lot more comfortable than the straight-legs, straight-arms outlaw cruiser style too.

One of these days I'm going to rent one and take a spin.

Last edited:
Here she is. 2005 Road King Peace Officer Edition. It had all the extras that most folks upgrade on their bikes.

I'll need to get a lower windshield as I've learned I don't like looking through it. I'm also blown away by all the aftermarket accessories, or the amount of money people will spend on the motor just to make it as quick as an SV650 :mrgreen:

I was expecting it to go, stop and handle like a schoolbus. Turns out it's almost easier to maneuver it around a parking lot than the B-king thanks to the wide bars and low center of gravity. Braking isn't too bad either, I can still only use 2 fingers for normal stuff. The suspension is pretty soft so it'll nosedive easily. It does go like a schoolbus. It's very relaxed and low-powered and I have no plans on throwing money at the thing to make it fast.

All I'll probably do is upgrade lighting to LED and a lower windshield. Done.

Attachments

• DSC_0786.jpg
    DSC_0786.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC_0787.jpg
    DSC_0787.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC_0788.jpg
    DSC_0788.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_0789.jpg
    DSC_0789.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 127
Welcome to HD land. It always starts as I'm only going to do 'X', the next thing you know you've done way more than 'X'. Good looking ride, enjoy!

That's really what I meant :thumb:

I was going to say, my goal for my FJR was really just gas and tires....and well, it hasn't exactly worked out that way. :giveup:

Looking at his sweet B-King, I can say, he probably is suffering from the same problem which will impact the new ride. :D

Beautiful RK! Congrats! I cut my windshield down my self, very easy to do and no one ever knows it used to be a 21". It a 16.5" now. Join a local HOG chapter, it gives you some fringe benefits for 40$ a year, like discounts at the dealer, 40% off AT&T services, HD member only sales, etc. I love my 07 POSE, but sometimes wish I had that dark blue color.

o4eyUE.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Our bikes are nearly twins, and thanks for the advise! I'm mechanically inclined but when it comes to measuring and cutting, I'm not the best. I'm going to order a Memphis Shades 17" this week, but the weather has been so nice I've been riding without the windshield.

So far one of my favorite things of the bike is the ability to easily remove and install the windshield. It really changes the look and function of it.

I've seen HDforums and VTwin forums, are those pretty much the good go to forums?

Have you tried searching for a Road King forum? I found a decent Road Glide forum. Provides a little narrower focus. There are more 'HD' type forums than you can imagine. I liked hdforums for info on the Breakout. Best I'd suggest is try them for a while & if you don't like search for some other one :)

Back