• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Interested in a no pavement Mexico trip?

Ur 450 is better than my 400 to blast down hwy, peter took his 223, galeana is worth the stiff ride, crossing many ranches is not a good idea especially in remote border villages, could be asking for trouble, da interior of mex is much more moto trespassin friendly...

Thanks. That's two of you who've said this. Two plus my original gut thinking tells me it's a questionable route section. I'm going back to the maps.

What's your impression of the portions of the route that are actually in the Carmen Range after you get through the flat stuff leading up to it?

I c on google maps jaboncillos but dont c morelos or minas 5 palmas? I got ur google emails but arent clear

I've marked up the western portion of the screen grabs I sent you to better point them out.
The route comes in from the East, and the loop is clockwise. After Jaboncillos, we head northeast to the 4 Palmas Mine. After visiting the mine, we would head south to Morelos again for fuel, or alternatively, we could bypass Morelos if we found fuel in the Village Venustiano Carranza when we passed through the first time.

Go to page 4 of this 4X4 blog for an excellent write up and photos of the 4 Palmas mine. Very cool. I need to see this! http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/f...ip-aguachile-mine-4-palms-mine-the-tunnel/45/

Western%20third_zpsfowzjgy9.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, da mine is a must do, what else would be encountered in this ride?? Put up the eastern part of da ride starting in del rio, I'm interested more and more

Wow, da mine is a must do, what else would be encountered in this ride?? Put up the eastern part of da ride starting in del rio, I'm interested more and more

Yeah, that mine is something else.

I suspect that it will be the highlight of the ride, but the lower half of the loop takes us through the heart of the preserve. A very different type of Mexico than the stereotype, for sure.
I have several other side routes that go up to some pretty nice photo ops of the mountains. Those will have to be dependent on the fuel and time situation.
The whole route should be very scenic. In my mind, even the more or less flat eastern portion is not going to be so flat while riding on it. Endless views!

Leaving Del Rio, cross the dam and head West 120 miles to Morelos.
Head Southwest through the mountains about 40 miles to Ejido Jaboncillos.
Head Northeast about 45 miles to the 4 Palmas Mine.
Head south about 20 miles back to Morelos.
Return to Del Rio.

Here's the whole route in screen grabs.

Eastern 1/3rd
Eastern%20portion_zpsticq3uml.jpg

Central 1/3rd
Center%20Portion_zpsx4hdwdvl.jpg

Western 1/3rd
Western%20third_zpsfowzjgy9.jpg

Last edited:
I've been searching like crazy for a route that would go from that easternmost unnamed village on the center screen grab and cut through south of that big volcano looking mountain (Cerro Colorado, I believe), but I haven't found anything that looks like it'll be successful.

Very cool pics, any thoughts of running north da 10 miles to boquilas mexican side village just to do a quick visit, i was there on da other side with my family in 2014 sept celebrating our 11th anniversary, i almost jumped on da ferry boat to cross, my boy bought some handmade crafts left on ground in boquilas, so we seen across da rio grande, good times

Very cool pics, any thoughts of running north da 10 miles to boquilas mexican side village just to do a quick visit, i was there on da other side with my family in 2014 sept celebrating our 11th anniversary, i almost jumped on da ferry boat to cross, my boy bought some handmade crafts left on ground in boquilas, so we seen across da rio grande, good times

Yeah, it's only about 10 miles up the road. Why not? The last time I was there, the boat wasn't running. Glad that they at least have that going now.

Also, I was thinking it could actually become an emergency fuel resupply if it came down to it.

Philip u in for late april? Peter ? Where is that ranch or resort u were talkin about ? And another way of finding a good route could be on da job asking locals cuz theres only so much google maps can give u...

Philip u in for late april? Peter ? Where is that ranch or resort u were talkin about ? And another way of finding a good route could be on da job asking locals cuz theres only so much google maps can give u...

I've been doing some checking, and I'm beginning to become sure that it's probably an administrative area of the Parque Nacional Maderas del Carmen. The Coordinates are 28°59'29.61"N, 102°32'53.63"W.

If you know locals who might have more information, that info would be head and shoulders above what I'm able to find on the internet!

Nice%20Place_zpsxc8jluon.jpg

Lakehouse%20Carmen%20Mts_zpsogbnlksz.jpg

Western%20third%20with%20Lake%20house%20indicated_zps8wygn47s.jpg

Looks like Maybe a dam, and no i dont know anyone in that area sorry, u thinkin to trailer to del rio thurs then cross over friday make it to that resort and dam then sat jaboncillos and boquilas and close to mine maybe then sunday mornin tour da mine and head for da border then monday head back home ??

u thinkin to trailer to del rio thurs then cross over friday make it to that resort and dam then sat jaboncillos and boquilas and close to mine maybe then sunday mornin tour da mine and head for da border then monday head back home ??

Yep, that's pretty much it. It would be nice to make it that far on the first day, but we might come up a bit short. Hard to tell just by looking at the maps, but that sounds about right.

Are you pretty confident that we'd be able to find gas by the time we hit Morelos? What sort of range do you get with your bike?

You mentioned in an earlier post about trying for late April. That would work perfectly for me but I'm pretty flexible on dates.

You tell me the specific dates and I'll do what I have to, to make those work for me.

Start out Thursday 14th, back on Monday 18th?

Zeke, will we be able to help the local economy by buying food in the villages or do we need to pack in?

Zeke, will we be able to help the local economy by buying food in the villages or do we need to pack in?

Those dates will work for me, but I thought one or both of you had planned on doing the April 9-16 Jalpan ride?

My initial thinking was to pack a decent dinner meal per day and count on finding at least one place each day to eat. It would be nice not to have to pack that much food. I'm sure Jaboncillos and Boquillos will have a place to eat, but I don't know about the other places.
The first part to Morellos is awfully barren. But, what do I know? What do you think, Zeke?

Looks like Maybe a dam, and no i dont know anyone in that area sorry, u thinkin to trailer to del rio thurs then cross over friday make it to that resort and dam then sat jaboncillos and boquilas and close to mine maybe then sunday mornin tour da mine and head for da border then monday head back home ??

At one time, that area surrounding the dam was extensively logged and mined and I understand that there are miles and miles of old logging and mining trails around there. I have some of them in my GPS just in case we have the time and feel the urge to do some exploring in that area. Of course, I don't have any idea as to their condition but I guess that's why it's called exploring.

There's also some obvious trails out of Boquillos that can take us right up to the base of those massive cliffs. That might be a pretty cool diversion as well.

I've also been trying to find a way to ride to the top edge of those cliffs. I keep coming up about a mile short of the actual edge. It's hard to believe that there isn't a way. It would make for a spectacular view.

Bring everything you need, there are no supplies available. We bought gas in both Morelos and Jaboncillos in 2011. Now, neither sells gas. Check with Border Patrol before you assume you can cross at Boquillas and get gas. All gates into the reserves are locked, La Mula, Morelos, and Blas Rodriguez. The only way to get into the mountains is to request permission in advance.

Bring everything you need, there are no supplies available. We bought gas in both Morelos and Jaboncillos in 2011. Now, neither sells gas. Check with Border Patrol before you assume you can cross at Boquillas and get gas. All gates into the reserves are locked, La Mula, Morelos, and Blas Rodriguez. The only way to get into the mountains is to request permission in advance.

Well..crap. :argh:

I'm guessing the bureaucratic hoops would be near impossible for me to navigate, but I'm going to see. I was reading where it was a former US National Parks official who is or was managing the preserve. I wonder if it's even possible to secure that permission unless it's for official or research purposes.

Where do the locals get fuel for their vehicles?

When I was in Boquillas last year folks were ferrying across to the NPS/BP station with empty gas cans, presumably to fill up in Panther Junction within Big Bend.

When I was in Boquillas last year folks were ferrying across to the NPS/BP station with empty gas cans, presumably to fill up in Panther Junction within Big Bend.

Interesting. That's sort of what I had in mind if it came to it.
Still, I don't believe there's any way possible that the gas station on Big Bend is supporting that entire area south of the border with gas. It's probably cheaper but I just don't understand how they could keep up with the volume.

Last edited:

I would adhere JT's advice, best to be prepared in da unknown, my situation is not set, depends on how free I can be, am in da middle of building a home, that has my priority, then if I'm moved before mektrek, and if Daryl or someone rides to Jalpan on Monday April 11 th or 12 th (5 or 6 day) ridewith me, that's my ride but if I can't get away or Daryl can't go with me then later in April or May, I'm totally in for del rio. I can't afford two rides back to back, if Chris can wait til we get closer, play it by ear, or join us to Jalpan, honestly both rides are awesome, and I'm dying to ride either, but in comparison, mektrek is probably a better ride in many regards, so Chris if I go to mektrek, join me and if not I will join u to del rio afterwards. Sorry but logistics beforehand is sometimes da most complicated part.

I would adhere JT's advice, best to be prepared in da unknown, my situation is not set, depends on how free I can be, am in da middle of building a home, that has my priority, then if I'm moved before mektrek, and if Daryl or someone rides to Jalpan on Monday April 11 th or 12 th (5 or 6 day) ridewith me, that's my ride but if I can't get away or Daryl can't go with me then later in April or May, I'm totally in for del rio. I can't afford two rides back to back, if Chris can wait til we get closer, play it by ear, or join us to Jalpan, honestly both rides are awesome, and I'm dying to ride either, but in comparison, mektrek is probably a better ride in many regards, so Chris if I go to mektrek, join me and if not I will join u to del rio afterwards. Sorry but logistics beforehand is sometimes da most complicated part.

I hear ya. Coordinating these sorts of things are almost always the hardest part. In light of the new information about the nature preserve being locked and the lack of fuel points, it takes a lot of the shine off of the trip.
I don't have a problem with the self supporting aspect, but it does add significant challenges.

Logistically, fuel is my only real concern. Over 400 miles best case, I'm looking at over 13 gallons of fuel using an estimated 30MPG. That's about 90 lbs!

Well, like I've said; I'm flexible. If the cards fall to where I don't ride Mexico until October to Galeana, so be it. I'll continue to see about developing this particular route. For sure, I want to go to the 4 Palmas mine one day though.

Last edited:
Did u get into da preserve afterall? What route u do? Did u c da mine ? Chris, if all else fails, no mektrek in april, no del rio, we can do galeana for an overnighter, or 2 or 3 nights, i just recieved my buddies ashes that i plan to spread them atop cerro potosi whenever possible, that was one of his favorite rides.

Did u get into da preserve afterall? What route u do? Did u c da mine ? Chris, if all else fails, no mektrek in april, no del rio, we can do galeana for an overnighter, or 2 or 3 nights, i just recieved my buddies ashes that i plan to spread them atop cerro potosi whenever possible, that was one of his favorite rides.

I'd be proud to help you honor your buddy. Just let me know.

I can only reasonably leave the family and business for one long weekend a month. And being financially unstable, AKA "Funemployed" I am borderline broke most days. Add to that a remodel job in Phoenix...I'm flustered. February is two weeks in Big Bend and Phoenix, March I go 10 days to Phoenix, April is 8 days in Jalpan. So that leaves me available mid May for at most a 3 - 4 day trip. Just not Mother's Day, May 8th, or my soulmate will burn a bike or two in my absence.

Problem with mid-May is temps. I'd only want to head to Galeana / Monterrey / High Mountains from May to Sept. I'm not into roughing it and sweating my booty off with overloaded bikes on a semi-unknown trek.

Time keeps on slipping....into the future. Very sad for your loss Zeke. I wish my buddies would do the same for me. I wanna fly like an eagle, to the sea. Fly like an eagle let my spirit carry me. Fly on into the revolution, uh uh uh! 44 this year. 88 is my goal, my favorite number, infinity on it's side, twice over for good measure. So I'm halfway round, kicking and screaming.

Last edited:
Back