• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend - March 22-25, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordhead, I just saw your post here and was wondering, did you get any of the PM's I sent regarding the Hill Co 500 dates?

I really want to do this! I'll be fishing in Laguna Madre but will see if the wife will let me ADD this to the menu! This looks really fun!

My current plan is to leave Austin on Wednesday after work (6-ish) and drive straight through to Terlingua. If anyone is interested in carpooling, we can go in on a trailer rental and split gas and driving duties. Coming back on Sunday afternoon. Chevy Colorado extended cab, could easily handle 3 bikes on the trailer, three people in the cab, and gear in the bed. I'll be at the meet and greet at Twin Peaks on 3-01, and the TARA group ride in Austin on 3-03 if you want to discuss it further.

With enough interest I am happy to lead another "Dos y Dos" ride same as I put on when I helped run the rally in 2015 and 2016. The idea was sub 200cc bikes and under 200 miles, hence "2 and 2". But, its open to any bike and rider, with 1st timers the emphasis.

We trailer in the A.M. to the east side of the park, a 55 minute drive. You can ride this if you're inclined. Unload at Rio Grande Village campsite. Make a 50 or so mile loop on River Road east to the Mariscal Mercury Mine, regroup, visit the rock pools at Ernst Tinajas, regroup, look over the overlook into Mexico at the Boquillas Canyon crossing, and end the afternoon with a soak in the hot springs on the Rio Grande.

This is a great ride for less adventurous riders who don't feel comfortable riding 200 mile days, folks on smaller bikes, bikes with limited fuel range (street legal 2 strokes?), and less miles if the weather is really cold. Total mileage is 85, with 2 opportunities to opt out or /and get gas at RGVillage.

Probably this will be a Friday ride. Any takers?

Peter

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1519595852137.jpg
    FB_IMG_1519595852137.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 343
Peter,
Let me check with my travel buddy. We could be interested. Thanks.

With enough interest I am happy to lead another "Dos y Dos" ride same as I put on when I helped run the rally in 2015 and 2016. The idea was sub 200cc bikes and under 200 miles, hence "2 and 2". But, its open to any bike and rider, with 1st timers the emphasis.

We trailer in the A.M. to the east side of the park, a 55 minute drive. You can ride this if you're inclined. Unload at Rio Grande Village campsite. Make a 50 or so mile loop on River Road east to the Mariscal Mercury Mine, regroup, visit the rock pools at Ernst Tinajas, regroup, look over the overlook into Mexico at the Boquillas Canyon crossing, and end the afternoon with a soak in the hot springs on the Rio Grande.

This is a great ride for less adventurous riders who don't feel comfortable riding 200 mile days, folks on smaller bikes, bikes with limited fuel range (street legal 2 strokes?), and less miles if the weather is really cold. Total mileage is 85, with 2 opportunities to opt out or /and get gas at RGVillage.

Probably this will be a Friday ride. Any takers?

Peter

RGV has gas now?

Peguis Canyon Info please???

I did some quick search on the Peguis Canyon but unable to find much detail. All I can find is the scenic overlook or canoe trip option (which may be an option depending on duration and bike/gear safety... any recommendations??). From the looks of it it is similar to Santa Elena Canyon in BB park.

What am I missing?

I see where many Texas colleges are on break March 10-18. Does this mean we will miss the big crowds, I hope?

This is why we scheduled the rally on this weekend.

Still looking for a driving/ gas partner from Houstonto Big Bend. Date of departure is flexible.

Peguis Canyon Info please???

I did some quick search on the Peguis Canyon but unable to find much detail. All I can find is the scenic overlook or canoe trip option (which may be an option depending on duration and bike/gear safety... any recommendations??). From the looks of it it is similar to Santa Elena Canyon in BB park.

What am I missing?

The fun of Peguis is that it is in Mexico, obviously. And is at the end of a 100 miles ride from Terlingua. Fun and rolling hills all along the Rio Grande on the US side on 170.

On the Mexican side you'll find it to be boring, kinda hot, and dusty. About 20 miles in the road climbs a mountain. It gets fun, twisty, but still hot and dusty. At the top of the road you are overlooking Peguis. There is a monument. The view is amazing. Turn around, head back home. Well, that explains my trip. It was fun, a fairly long day in the saddle, and being in Mexico was interesting.

We did take the time to have lunch and drinks on the main square in Ojinaga on the mexican side. OJ, as they call it, is the only crossing for hundreds of miles and the Mexican side is built up quite a bit. Downtown is on the top of a small hill. we ate at a grat place with white tablecloths, exceptional service, and Tricepilot Bob knows the owner.

http://ahoramismo.mx/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/ojinaga-640x336.jpg

In a strange coincidence I wandered into a tiny roadside restaurant in the panhandle named OJ thinking it was probably the only place in 50 miles that would be airing a world cup soccer game. They were. Met a very cute nice Mexican girl, raised in Presidio and OJ. Turns out the restaurant in OJ was her uncle or great uncle's and she hung out there in the summer when not in Presidio with her mom. Small world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the input.

I have ridden to Mexico several times (all road trips though, nothing like Copper Canyon) from Laredo to Saltillo, Monterrey, Ciudad Valles, Ciudad Victoria, Queretaro, Bernal, Dr.Arroyo, etc.

If it is just the overlook and riding there and back, I think I will opt for something else on the second day.

Again, thank you for the help.

I'm looking for any one who will be in Terlingua on Thursday who might want to ride in BBNP. Maybe Maverick-River Road-Rio Grande Village, and then either backtrack to Talley/Black Gap or just back on pavement depending on time. Alternately ride in BBRSNA if you know the roads.

I'm in! I missed out on a room at Big Bend Resort because I waited too long but I got a spot for my pop up camper. I just need to get my registration to Richard now. Looking forward to it. This will be my first trip to BB. :rider:

I'm about to cancel my camping spot at Big Bend Resort. I'm not sure if these are hard to get or not. If they are and you want it let me know and I'll see if I can get it transferred to you.

If I don't hear anything I'll cancel it this afternoon.

I'm looking for any one who will be in Terlingua on Thursday who might want to ride in BBNP. Maybe Maverick-River Road-Rio Grande Village, and then either backtrack to Talley/Black Gap or just back on pavement depending on time. Alternately ride in BBRSNA if you know the roads.

I will arrive on Thursday 4-5pm. If not too late, I am in.

Are there any areas in big bend that we are allowed to ride that are more technical and hard? I rode all of the tracks from the old rally last year on my 800gs.
I’m coming these year on a tiger 800, but if there is some hard stuff, I would bring my Husqvarna 300. It’s a two stroke with low gearing, so it would suck on those open dirt roads...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back