• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WTB - VW Dune Buggy - Meyers Manx or Clone

Reaction score
This is an odd request, but I have always wanted a fiberglass body dune buggy and have decided to search for one. If you have one or know someone that does, send them my way.

I am looking for a Meyers Manx style buggy on a shortened VW pan. Would prefer a running example, but would consider one that needs work. I have included a picture of what I'm looking for....

Thanks,

~Tony
buggy.jpg

Yellow one on Craigslist Austin. For $4000
condition: fair
cylinders: 4 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
paint color: yellow
title status: clean
transmission: manual
Ready to sell my 1964 VS dune buggy. This one resembles the one Elvis drove in"live a little love alittle. " (1968). Comes with a good 1600 engine with twin Empi 34's. Asking $4000.00. Not able to finish. Has tow bar. Now has cragar SS rims. Open to trades. Motor home,got hauler,pontoon boat. Try me see what happens.
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 6380928871 posted: 4 days ago updated: 4 days ago email to friend ♥ best of [?]

Also two ruff ones on Dallas craigslist. And a nice red one for $7500.

Heres one in action. Remember this show?
https://youtu.be/3hx-hEWl10c

Last edited:
Yellow one on Craigslist Austin. For $4000
condition: fair
cylinders: 4 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
paint color: yellow
title status: clean
transmission: manual
Ready to sell my 1964 VS dune buggy. This one resembles the one Elvis drove in"live a little love alittle. " (1968). Comes with a good 1600 engine with twin Empi 34's. Asking $4000.00. Not able to finish. Has tow bar. Now has cragar SS rims. Open to trades. Motor home,got hauler,pontoon boat. Try me see what happens.
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 6380928871 posted: 4 days ago updated: 4 days ago email to friend ♥ best of [?]

Also two ruff ones on Dallas craigslist. And a nice red one for $7500.

Heres one in action. Remember this show?
https://youtu.be/3hx-hEWl10c
Thanks!!

~Tony

Those things are a blast. When i first went out to California in 1984 my friends parents let me use their perfectly kept Dune Buggy for 6 months. They sold it a year later for $2200.00 i was pissed when i heard because i would have bought it. Well they made it up to me when they sold me their cherry 1965 Mustang GT a few years later..

7903953766_6842696dd6_b.jpg
cali 1984 2 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Funny, been keeping my eye open for the same thing (or the right donor bits) for some time myself. Really needs to be a genuine Manx IMO though.

Be interested to know what you come across.

look on "The Samba" lots of VW action.
also VOSA, Texas Dune Buggy club,Manx Buggy club
and Air Coolers Gang.
good luck.
don't overlook building one yourself. Get the book "How to keep your VW alive "
by John Muir and also" Baja bugs and buggys" by Jeff Hibbard.
My son and I have built two fiberglass buggys and have enjoyed them tremendously.(almost as much as motorcycles and shooting) that would be a good book "Bikes Bugs and Bullets"

Anyone selling a single or dual port engine? Not running is fine provided it turns over.
I have a 1641 engine taken out of a running 69. dual port heads. 2bbl weber, heater boxes and exhaust, doghouse tin. it has a gen not an alt ,drilled and tapped for oil filter and cooler. was a daily driver with a fresh rebuild. backed a truck over the front of car and sold the body for junk and kept the engine as a spare for my dune buggy.
looking for $1350.00

I have a 1641 engine taken out of a running 69. dual port heads. 2bbl weber, heater boxes and exhaust, doghouse tin. it has a gen not an alt ,drilled and tapped for oil filter and cooler. was a daily driver with a fresh rebuild. backed a truck over the front of car and sold the body for junk and kept the engine as a spare for my dune buggy.
looking for $1350.00

Sounds amazing but that's what I'm looking to build up not start with :)

Funny, been keeping my eye open for the same thing (or the right donor bits) for some time myself. Really needs to be a genuine Manx IMO though.

Be interested to know what you come across.
I have found one that I'm on the fence about. Probably will pull the trigger, but it's 600 miles away! The guy has finished about 80% of the build and his work thus far is really detail oriented. It has a dual port motor with new twin carbs, balanced crank, big valve heads, electronic distributor, front disk brakes etc. This one is not a Manx and can't really tell who the builder was. They made hundreds of these things over the years. I wanted the Manx look and not really too picky about the company as long as it's not priced like a Meyers built body. The other issue to consider if you are planning on trying to register it in Texas, they are recalling titles and registrations for non factory built vehicles. You want be able to get a Texas title on one anymore. I will title mine in Arkansas.

We will see.....

~Tony

Last edited:
Back