• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hi from Scotland

Hi LB, why all the sweets? Are Hershey Bars not so great? (that's the only US sweets I've heard of)

I was in one of Scotland's only sweet shops/factories on Sunday. Could be the last one, not sure. It's in Crieff, where Ewan MacGregor's from. I got four big macaroon bars and a big bag of chocolate gingers... The casualty list so far is the macaroons are lost without trace (except for some fragments of coconut) and the gingers are fading fast, looks like they've no future at all...:trust:

D'you want their web a/d? Usual disclaimer applies.

Maybe I should set up a haggis import agency to Texas to keep all you expats supplied?;-)

Welcome from another Scot. Born and raised in Glasgow, came to Texas in 1983, still here!

Just spent a wonderful trip back home in May, spending most of the time in the pubs! Most importantly, stocking up on sweeties to bring back to the States, along with some cans of Haggis and Hoola Hoops!:eat:

I was in Crieff in May. Where do they hide the factory? And yes, please send the web linky.

Here y'are m'dear.
http://www.scottishsweets.co.uk/
The manufactury is immediately behind the shop - you can see through glass to see the chocolate and stuff being made.

The shop is in the narrower section of the main street slightly to the West of the main square.

The macaroons are recommended. But your dentist might not approve? :)

Last edited:
We take the boat out every time that weather and tides are in our favour. No big fish here but we do see bottlenose dolphins, and a very occasional Minke whale, and an even more occasional Orca.

Catches are made up of cod, pollack, mackerel, some wrasse, and occasionally a ling or two. We fish the drift over inshore reefs with an eye always on the echosounder.

Family health problems have made it difficult to get out this year. fingers crossed this will resolve soon.

Fishing, Islay Scotch,good motorcycle roads and beautiful scenery. You are in God's country sir.No doubt about it.

Thanks for welcome, there's an awful lot of Scots left for the US over the last hundred years or so. For a while the biggest export was people, I've heard it said.

To quote Mike Myers character from SNL, Stuart Rankin, "...if it's not Scottish, it's craaaapp!!..."

SNL must be a film? Unsure, not one of Mr Myers' fans myself (his Scots accent when doing Shrek was, well, not very Scottish, so by his def'n must have been craaaapp?)

To quote Mike Myers character from SNL, Stuart Rankin, "...if it's not Scottish, it's craaaapp!!..."

SNL must be a film? Unsure, not one of Mr Myers' fans myself (his Scots accent when doing Shrek was, well, not very Scottish, so by his def'n must have been craaaapp?)

SNL - Saturday Night Live - NBC Program that back in the 70's and early 80's had some funny stuff on it, then the originals moved on or died and was replaced by folks like Myers and others that just didn't hold up the standards of Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Chevy Chase, George Coe, Jane Curtin, Garrett Morris, Laraine Newman, Michael O'Donoghue and Gilda Radner.

Thanks for the background, Hemibee. Often local everydayspeak doesn't travel well to other countries.

Sounds like the programme that was the birthplace of the Blues Bros? The Blues Brothers, now that's on a different level - watched that film every chance I've had, it's an icon of its time. They must have had quite a party putting it all together.:zen:Respect...

Not an easy thing to follow after the Aykroyd/Belushi combo. I know of Chevy Chase but the other names haven't made it across this way, AFAIK? (Which isn't that far!)

It's possible that SNL's been on our networks but I've just not seen it. Not a great TV fan, me.

SNL - Saturday Night Live - NBC Program that back in the 70's and early 80's had some funny stuff on it, then the originals moved on or died and was replaced by folks like Myers and others that just didn't hold up the standards of Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Chevy Chase, George Coe, Jane Curtin, Garrett Morris, Laraine Newman, Michael O'Donoghue and Gilda Radner.

Thanks for the background, Hemibee. Often local everydayspeak doesn't travel well to other countries.

Sounds like the programme that was the birthplace of the Blues Bros? The Blues Brothers, now that's on a different level - watched that film every chance I've had, it's an icon of its time. They must have had quite a party putting it all together.:zen:Respect...

Not an easy thing to follow after the Aykroyd/Belushi combo. I know of Chevy Chase but the other names haven't made it across this way, AFAIK? (Which isn't that far!)

It's possible that SNL's been on our networks but I've just not seen it. Not a great TV fan, me.

They did the Blues Bros in a few skits on the show... Classic stuff!

I can see how the others are unknown, they didn't do too much after SNL, well they didn't have any real dig hits like Jake and Elwood. :dude:

Welcome to the site!

I'm one of the more "mature" riders, as well... we can't let the kids have all the fun! I'm currently riding an 06 Suzi Wee-Strom, and loving it. I think me and Ruby are gonna be together for a while.

ahhh... Scotland... my wife and I were blessed to be able to cross the pond a couple of summers ago to visit my younger bro and his wife in Cambridge.. they were finishing up phd's there, and are now teaching. We also tripped up to Edinburgh for a few days, and got to golf at St Andrews, then did a Highland bus tour. Spent a few hours on a boat ride on Loch Ness... got to see some "hairy coos". The bus tour was great, since we were on a time limit, but I'd love to rent a car (or bike) and take my time
You were talking about the people being the #1 export... our bus driver told us there were more Scots living in Texas than in Scotland..

I would love to tour the country on two wheels... that would be close to heaven, I imagine...
speaking of heaven..... Lagavullin..... mmmmm... :clap:

Must look out for a DVD of the film... not the 2000 version, the "real" one. Thanks & safe riding to you.
They did the Blues Bros in a few skits on the show... Classic stuff!

I can see how the others are unknown, they didn't do too much after SNL, well they didn't have any real dig hits like Jake and Elwood. :dude:

Well to take first things first, Lagavulin, yep, no contest there. Rich, smoky, peaty, with all sort of aftertastes... My favourite tipple. Mind you, Talisker's not exactly scruffy, (the only whisky from Skye) but the mainstay of my likings are the Islay brews, with the exception of Caol Ila - too much of an edge for me.

If you come to Scotia again, drop a line and we could meet up to ride a few miles together if the weather's kind. When you were in St Andrews you were only about a mile from my house - "Kilrymont" is the old name for St Andrews. In Wiki, "Kilrymont" leads you straight to St Andrews.

I think your driver must have been loading his dice a bit - there's about 5 million of us still here - surely Texas isn't having to tolerate more than that number of us lot? Good Grief :eek2:

Took a quick Google and found THIS site.

Handy thing, Google...

Welcome to the site!

I'm one of the more "mature" riders, as well... we can't let the kids have all the fun! I'm currently riding an 06 Suzi Wee-Strom, and loving it. I think me and Ruby are gonna be together for a while.

ahhh... Scotland... my wife and I were blessed to be able to cross the pond a couple of summers ago to visit my younger bro and his wife in Cambridge.. they were finishing up phd's there, and are now teaching. We also tripped up to Edinburgh for a few days, and got to golf at St Andrews, then did a Highland bus tour. Spent a few hours on a boat ride on Loch Ness... got to see some "hairy coos". The bus tour was great, since we were on a time limit, but I'd love to rent a car (or bike) and take my time
You were talking about the people being the #1 export... our bus driver told us there were more Scots living in Texas than in Scotland..

I would love to tour the country on two wheels... that would be close to heaven, I imagine...
speaking of heaven..... Lagavullin..... mmmmm... :clap:

Welcome! My dear father in law is a Fife.... I have never been able to visit, but I want to very badly.

I don't know if he was stretching things a bit or not... I've never researched it..
I think we have over 4 million folks just in the DFW metroplex area, so I suppose it MIGHT be possible... he also did a great Sean Connery impersonation.

For those that might be wondering... this is a hairy coo...

scotland059.jpg

And this is looking at the Urquhart castle ruin on the Loch...

scotland171.jpg

I can't wait to go back... I'll put it on the "to do" list to holler at you for perhaps a short guided tour of the area.

Last edited:
The highland cattle are always a popular sight for the visitors - lets you feel you're looking at the same sort of sight that William Wallace might have contemplated?

Their steaks are supposed to be extremely tasty, but that's premium meat at extremely premium prices.... so I've not tried it yet.

To Do list sounds fine. Meantime, safe riding to you.

Ian
Kilrymont

I don't know if he was stretching things a bit or not... I've never researched it..
I think we have over 4 million folks just in the DFW metroplex area, so I suppose it MIGHT be possible... he also did a great Sean Connery impersonation.

For those that might be wondering... this is a hairy coo...

scotland059.jpg

And this is looking at the Urquhart castle ruin on the Loch...

scotland171.jpg

I can't wait to go back... I'll put it on the "to do" list to holler at you for perhaps a short guided tour of the area.

Back