• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

VFR800

Zapata

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Benz
Nice pictures of the VRR800 around this website...!!!

Does anyone knows about "frame sliders" for the 2002-2003 VFR800..??

All the sliders I know of require you to cut the fairing to set them, The other problem is that you really need to set them with a through bolt from one side to the other to really protect your frame. If you just go straight to one of the frame bolts you run the risk of really f*&#ing up your frame in a fall, much worse than if you didnt have them at all. IMHO, I think that the plastic panels are a lot cheaper than a new bike and I really dont want to cut the nice fairing anyway so I will be going sans sliders.

JM $0.02

SVinAustin: Interesting and a very valid point...!!!! Never tough about damaging the frame.....!!!!!! :eek:

I'm always more worried about a dent in the fuel tank, but sems like in the VFR the tank is already covered by the plastic fairings. Is this correct..??

Hmmm... Is someone thinking of converting to the VFR side of the force? :twisted:

VFR's

Hi Scott:

Have always been attracted by the VFR looks.....!!!!!! :eek:
Have been reading a lot about diferent reviews and seems to be the best bike around...!!! I'm just worried about how the maintenace cost go with the V-4 engine in the long run.

Maintenance Costs on a VFR

I'm just worried about how the maintenace cost go with the V-4 engine in the long run.

Worry not! Valve adjustments are done every 16K. It is quite common for the valves to be fine up until about the 48K service. I had mine checked anyway just for peace of mind. It usually runs about $300 for the service. This includes the oil change, air filter change, and any adjusting required. I no longer use a dealership for this as I have yet to find one that I thought was really competent. I now use Motorcycles Unlimited on FM 1960 owned by Patrick Hart. He does good work for a fair price. I've taken both of our VFR's to him. He is an upfront no B.S. kind of guy and I like that.

Other than the valve adjustments, there really isn't anything out of the ordinary. I do the oil changes, tires, chains and sprockets myself. I love the bike because I can just walk out in the garage, thumb the starter and hit the road, no worries. My 98 has about 53K on it and my 01 has about 35K. No problems for either yet.

The jury is still out on the new 02+ VFR's because of the VTec. There have been claims of really high prices for the valve adjustments due to the added complexity of the VTec system. I would not be worried so much about the cost as I would the likelihood that the shop guy might get lazy and not do the procedure properly because of the added time and complexity of the procedure. Other than this, the bike is supposed to be awesome. The new styling seems to be a love/hate kind of thing. I've grown to be a little nuetral towards it, however, I really like the Silver version that SVinaustin recently acquired.

I'm confident that you could get pretty much any year model VFR and love it. All of them are awesome bikes. I just can't help but wonder what the next model have in store for us?!

Back