• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S -The Mega Thread

thanks doug, but not really. what manual is that? I suppose I'll have to give the bolt head a little twist when the time comes and see if works. thanks again.

GSF1250SA 2007

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 173
coolant leak found! a very small pinhole in the radiator. keeping the reservoir topped for now. decisions decisions try to get welded or new. haven't looked up the cost for new, but got to be a lot more than getting it welded.

I would remove and take to a radiator shop for evaluation. My radiator got damaged in a fall and repaired - so far so good.

Nope, haven't taken it off yet. just found out yesterday the shop where I am going to take it isn't open on Saturdays so that will delay things a bit. I meant to say no I don't use a radiator guard.

Last edited:
so the mega thread... I've read a ton of it... since getting my 08 abs in march. Traded my much loved FJR that I bought new and put 100k on. Love the bike. then it got hot and I have some questions.
When its 90 Plus outside. and the bike has been sitting. I get on and start it. Take off normal. then within the first 1/8 to 1/4 mile it acts like it has a total loss of fuel. three times i did WOT a couple blips and the rest of the ride it never comes back. monday it did it and I could not blip throttle it was just dead. all lights on could restart while coasting. rev ok then die. start again. rev ok and died. start again rev a couple times and fixed. didn't quit the rest of the day. always first 1/8 to 1/4 mile then its gone till the next cold start at hot outside air temp. Any help would be appreciated Thanks!
Tim

well Tim I wish I could be of help on this. I've had the same experience of my 07 after sitting out in the sun all day. would happen about once a week. tried opening the gas cap before starting, didn't help. I call it a vapor lock and I don't know if anybody has cured it, and others have had the same trouble. has only happened once this summer, but it hasn't been as hot as last summer. I also had no throttle response but the bike would always restart. quite annoying on the highway, which of course where it would always happen.

well Tim I wish I could be of help on this. I've had the same experience of my 07 after sitting out in the sun all day. would happen about once a week. tried opening the gas cap before starting, didn't help. I call it a vapor lock and I don't know if anybody has cured it, and others have had the same trouble. has only happened once this summer, but it hasn't been as hot as last summer. I also had no throttle response but the bike would always restart. quite annoying on the highway, which of course where it would always happen.

mine quits on the road just after I leave work. before Hiway.... :)
three times it has had the throttle blip fix. monday throttle did nothing but it would restart and rev then quit. third restart and it ran normal. Just weird. you would think a vapor lock would wait a little while to suck a vacuum on the tank or some thing. but it never sucks air in or is pressurized... so venting must be working. I am puzzled. Tiger800sexc in the summer. Bandit in the winter. I don't like that solution...

Sad when you have a bunch of touring stuff and not ever gonna use it again. But have stripped down my '07 to bare needs for what I do with it now here in about a 100 or so mile radius of home. Still enjoy my afternoons out roaming the back roads and most likely will never get rid of it. LOL

I would like some help, or opinions, on possible problem. I've had a coolant leak and have been unable to track it down. Now I fear its going into the crankcase. full syn oil with only 2100 miles on it. took off the oil filter to find the oil looks very brown. I've seen syn oil at 3000miles look like new so I'm worried that's where the coolant is going. can't smell the coolant in the oil, stills smells like oil but I think the color is all wrong. what do you folks think? anyway to actually confirm my suspicions? thanks, Gary.

I would like some help, or opinions, on possible problem. I've had a coolant leak and have been unable to track it down. Now I fear its going into the crankcase. full syn oil with only 2100 miles on it. took off the oil filter to find the oil looks very brown. I've seen syn oil at 3000miles look like new so I'm worried that's where the coolant is going. can't smell the coolant in the oil, stills smells like oil but I think the color is all wrong. what do you folks think? anyway to actually confirm my suspicions? thanks, Gary.

Oil being tan or brown or even black colored is very normal after 2,100 miles. What you don't want to see is milky oil after the bike is hot.

Your coolant leak is probably just your coolant overflow system puking. It is very common on the 1250's, including mine. Watch for coolant drips after you turn off the bike when it is hot. You'll probably find coolant dripping out of the overflow hose. I first tried Dale's aftermarket radiator cap but that didn't work. Rerouting/simplifying the overflow system solved the issue for good.

Also, be sure you aren't overfilling the coolant overflow tank. When cold, the 1250's like the coolant to be just a hair over the low line. Anything above that and it will puke it out when hot.

Milky white, of course why didn't I think of that. And there isn't any milky color in or around the oil filter or the oil filler cap. It looks to me that the only time I find it splashed on the outside of the right side is after riding on the local highway. doing an internet search mentioned a blown head gasket, warped engine head, or water pump seal is blown. None of those look like the culprit. I've never seen it dump coolant from the over flow hose after hard riding, and I have seen it dump after being overfilled. so now I've got no obvious leak, but I'm thinking maybe your right and its not going into the crankcase. although the oil color does bother me I guess the search stills goes on. thank you for the feedback.

I'd be very surprised if it was something serious like a blown head gasket, warped head, cracked head or block, etc. Our Bandits are very reliable mechanically, with the exception of a few relatively minor flaws (the worst being starter issues for some owners).

It sounds like your have the general area of the coolant leak figured out. I'd suspect a pin hole leak from a coolant hose but there are many hoses. Pin hole leaks can be a beast to track down without a tester kit. I'd suggest getting a cooling system pressure tester or bringing the bike somewhere that does.

Been a long long time since I've seen both the gastank symbols blinking at me. But did this morning. After about a 2 mile trip to the gas station I put in 4.67 gallons , on the side stand to the first plate. Had 207 on the ometer which would correct to 221 adding the 7% speedohealer factor of -.07 to make the speedometer read correct.
Still lovin my '07 Bandit.

Introduction and advice sought

:giveup:Good morning from Denver fellows!
I sought you guys out because I am in need of some technical advice as well as to join this community which seems to be the hardiest on the net for the 1250 Bandit.

Backstory: I bought an 08 Bandit 1250 ABS with Full stage 2 mods and only 11k miles. Literally almost everything that Holeshot makes for this bike is on it including the Dobeck tuner, headers, and panel K&N with the airbox completely opened.

The problem: I have two issues. I am experiencing the 4th gear engine cutoff that after some research seems to be related to the evap system. My bike stalls as I accelerate aggressively and shift into 4th gear.

The second problem I am having is VERY poor gas mileage. I just replaced the plugs, filter, and oil. Prior to that maintenance I was getting 25-28 mpg in city with spirited commuting averaging less than 120 miles/tank. After the maintenance I am getting WORSE mpg, around 20-22. The bike still pulls well though it does feel a bit soft at times, especially in first. I have heard that these bikes need a throttle body sync early on as well as a TPS adjustment.

Can anyone relate or offer some advice?
Thanks for your help and I am happy to be here.

Something has got to be wrong. I had a Stage2 Bandit and have hit 200 miles between fill ups. Now, that wasn't average, that was best, but I did it multiple times. My current 1250 only has a slip on and I have not tried to see how far I can go, but I gas up at about 160 miles. Definitely do the throttle body sync, and your settings on the Doebeck box might be off. Also, (hope this is ok) but check out MaximumSuzuki…wealth of info on that site. Also, I am down for a ride, live in Lakewood.

How high do you fill the tank!? I go to right below the tab and if I shake the bike side to side it sometimes hits the top of the tab. ANYMORE then that and you will over flow the evap and have starting problems, etc. etc...

Back