• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello from Far NE Houston!

Reaction score
Hello from Dayton, a small town on the northeast side of Houston. I guess the easiest would be to say halfway between Houston and Beaumont on 90. I've ridden for bit but recently acquired my first new ride, a '16 R1200GS, in November. She sits at a little over 3k right now and look forward to putting on more with some like-minded individuals. Quite the community you guys have here. Cheers!

PvmjD9Rl.jpg
GzFYEWDl.jpg

CADOr77l.jpg

Welcome to the site! :wave:

You picked a fine bike! Whose is the old Beemer parked behind yours? Any chance that ride influenced your choice of bikes? :-P

Welcome to the site! :wave:

You picked a fine bike! Whose is the old Beemer parked behind yours? Any chance that ride influenced your choice of bikes? :-P

Thanks for the warm welcome. That's a good question; I haven't managed to come across the rider as of yet. I would say yes because there are several vintages of the 1200/1150 spread out through the same garage. For some reason, it's always been a bike that stuck out to me.

:tab If you start exploring dirt roads North of you, be warned there can be some seriously "fun" sand on them :flip: I've ridden a bunch on my former 2002 1150 GS, 2005 1200 GS and my current 2007 1200 GS. Having knobby tires makes a HUGE difference in how the bike handles it! For the sand, the TKC 80 will be about the best tire, front and back. The Shinko 805's do a pretty good job as a back tire. I've not tried the front. Tires like the Anakees and Tourances will be fine for most anything other than the sand (or mud). The Anakee Wilds might be good, but I've not tried them yet.

:tab If you start exploring dirt roads North of you, be warned there can be some seriously "fun" sand on them :flip: I've ridden a bunch on my former 2002 1150 GS, 2005 1200 GS and my current 2007 1200 GS. Having knobby tires makes a HUGE difference in how the bike handles it! For the sand, the TKC 80 will be about the best tire, front and back. The Shinko 805's do a pretty good job as a back tire. I've not tried the front. Tires like the Anakees and Tourances will be fine for most anything other than the sand (or mud). The Anakee Wilds might be good, but I've not tried them yet.

I appreciate the suggestions. She's gotten pretty squirrelly on dirt roads with the Anakee IIIs.

welcome :welcome:
first two pictures were taken west of Nome on 90 at the elevator by the RR tracks
i am pretty sure

Aaron

You sir are correct. It was part of a little ride I took on MLK Day this year. I got my hair cut that morning, got an idea and went off to visit some family along the way. Everything went well until I got stuck behind a water and brush truck by the new gas plants on LA-27. 250 miles or so wasn't bad on the stock seat.
UYEGeKPh.jpg

I new I was correct grew up around there summer in Dayton on my uncles ranch school in Baytown lived there for 21 years then company ship me to San Antonio in 2004 I will look you up when i go home first of April mother and dad still live there have to go take them to Houston to doctors as dad is 90yrs old and does not drive to Houston any more says to many idiots there now.

Aaron

Welcome. I, too grew up in NE Houston. (Used to be further out of Houston than it is now!)

I new I was correct grew up around there summer in Dayton on my uncles ranch school in Baytown lived there for 21 years then company ship me to San Antonio in 2004 I will look you up when i go home first of April mother and dad still live there have to go take them to Houston to doctors as dad is 90yrs old and does not drive to Houston any more says to many idiots there now.

Aaron

I can't say I blame him. I drive into downtown every day for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome. I, too grew up in NE Houston. (Used to be further out of Houston than it is now!)

Indeed. When I was a child, the mileage sign at 321 and 90 said fifty-five miles to Houston. Now that sign says forty-five miles and is on the other side of Liberty near Ames.

Indeed. When I was a child, the mileage sign at 321 and 90 said fifty-five miles to Houston. Now that sign says forty-five miles and is on the other side of Liberty near Ames.

And only 30 miles to the biggest airport in town.

_

Back