• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Help me 1996 bmw r1100rt

Reaction score
Hi to anybody out there if you could help me I would be so grateful I recently Won A 1996 BMW r1100rt on a salvage site and on the site it said vehicle starts and runs but upon delivery it did not start or run after a quick inspection I look at the fuse box and it looks like almost all of the relays have been taken out I don't know what relays I supposed to be in the standard setup anybody has any idea what it supposed to come with it would be a big help in determining whether it's a relay problem

Thanks if any one owns a1996 BMW r1100rt and could take a pic of the fuse box it would do every thing

I'll shoot my 99. Unless yours is a police model It'll be the same thing. A common problem with the 1100 is the hall effect sensor. It's the device on the front of the crank that works as a crankshaft position sensor for spark timing. Also check with the guys over at BMW Sport Touring. That's the unofficial RT site and there are a bunch of been-there-done-that owners on the site. A couple are actual BMW techs.

PM me with your "my junk email at somewhere dot com" and I'll send you the photos and some other information oilhead owners need to have to troubleshoot their bikes.

m

Does any one know where there might be a fuse box with all fuses from a junk 1996 r1100rt bmw

The R1100rt is a great bike. I'm on my second one now and enjoying the heck out of it.

Meriden, as usual, is correct to suspect the H.E.S. wiring (as long as the relays are not missing). They all get too hot, crack the insulation on the wiring and short against each other - usually right after the bike has been washed.

But first, what does the bike do when you turn the key on and press the start button? When the key is turned on you should hear the fuel pump in the tank pressurizing the E.F.I. system. The clutch lever has to be pulled in and the side-stand up for the starter to engage. The sensor on the side-stand sometimes has gotten some junk in it and will not close.

If the engine cranks, what are you seeing on the tachometer? If it jumps around wildly, or doesn't move at all, I would suspect the H.E.S. wiring.

BTW, where the heck is Avon?

Last edited:
Actually the issue where is the bike was bought from a salvage auction site called salvage world auctions www.salvageworldauctions.com and it has been a bit of a nightmare when they delivered it they had made me pay the delivery charge again even though I bought it with delivery included and have a receipt for it but at 9 o'clock at night the delivery guy wasn't going to take a check or we can and it has been a bit of a nightmare when they delivered it they had made me pay the delivery charge again even though I bought it with delivery included and have a receipt for it but at 9 o'clock at night the delivery guy wasn't going to take a check well look at any paperwork and I can call the auction site and her clothes so that was the first screwup and upon well look at any paperwork and I can call the auction site and her clothes so that was the first screw up find inspection the bike would not start the matter what combination are used and when I look at the fuse box all of the relays had been taken out and there was no oil in it so if anybody has any past issues or dealings with this salvage site please let me know , aside from that I went out and bought the entire fuse box section on eBay would come with all the fuses instead of buying them separately because of the cost a few hundred dollars I'm going to put diesel in and hope it starts I don't know what recourse I have with the salvage place again if anybody knows anything about them or has any influence please let me know

For responding to me I do love the bike all the options but I am so afraid that they sold me a pig in a poke I am waiting for the relays to come in or put them in and go from there if you can think of anything else I'm going through now and seeing if anybody's had a bad Time with the salvage site

I'm with Tom - where's Avon? If we know approximately where you are, somebody (not me because I have about 9 thumbs) might be able to either help you locally, or steer you to local resources. Good luck; it'll be an awesome bike once you get it sorted.

Avon is South of Boston off 24 cant wait to get relays worst comes to worst I will part of out it's really in great shape

Back