• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FI Light Issue

Reaction score
I recently relocated my GIPro ATRE G2 to the console top. While I was doing that I reprogrammed it to use TRE Mode 6 because they suggest in the manual to try them all and see which one works best. I went for a ride and after an hour or so the FI light came on. I stopped, shut the bike off and restarted after 10 seconds or so. No FI light. Ride another 20 minutes and the FI light comes back on.

This pattern continues (I was 60 miles from home, on country back roads) all the way home, until I quit resetting it and just rode it. Everything seemed normal, save for the red FI light and the annoying odometer blinking display.

The following day I started her up - no light. We again went for a decent ride (130 miles) and no FI light. Stop and eat dinner. Hop on and head home - another 15 miles or so. Get up to cruising speed and the FI light comes on. Come on home and start researching in earnest what it might be.

I read with interest a few posts where people were clipping a wire going to the ECU, installing dummy resistors, etc. Since this bike is low mileage (3829 when I picked it up last month) and didn't appear to have any mods, I wasn't too keen on cutting wires, etc. Then I read about the diag port and the paperclip trick to activate the instrument cluster to display the error code.

I wired a switch to the diag port and I tie wrapped it right behind the rear master cylinder so I could reach it without having to remove the seat. Went for a ride and when the light finally came on I was able to flip the switch and display the trouble code - C31. The Service Manual says C31 indicates an issue with the GPS switch / circuit on the bike. This jogs my memory - I had reprogrammed the GIPro and the next time I rode the bike I got the FI light. Hmmmm.....

Long story short - reprogrammed the GIPro back to ATR Mode 5 and rode the Cherohala Skyway, the Dragon and a few other fun roads today - 150 miles or so and no FI light. Got home, reprogrammed the GIPro to ATR Mode 6 again and went for a short ride. The FI light came back on. Put it back to Mode 5 and came home with no light yet.

Anybody else experience anything like this ?

2016 Bandit 1250 SA ABS

Last edited:
Sounds like you answered your own question.....just use mode 5?

Suzuki's are somewhat unusual in that the sensor actually detects all six gears, not just neutral. A lot of other bikes calculate the gear based on speed/RPM (even if they don't display it, the ECU knows it to apply different timing curves or limiters).

I'm not familiar with the specifics of how the TRE devices work- my guess is while they display the correct gear, the feed a signal to the ECU telling it the bike is always in something like 4th or 5th, to avoid the timing limiter that it imposes in 6th (and usually 1st/2nd as well). The ECU may be tripping a fault code based unexpected correlations- the sensor is telling it the bike is in 4th, but the speed/RPM aren't correlating to that, so it thinks there's a problem with the gear sensor. I'm guessing the various modes of the TRE affect what signal it feeds to fool the ECU, and #6 is far enough out of whack to trip an error.

Thanks !! Very helpful. I wonder why the manufacturer tells the customer to try all of the modes and see which one works best for their bike ? Seems crazy...

I used SmartMoto ATRE and never had any issues. I like it because it is one piece solid sealed epoxy without wiring harness. I know what gear I am in by the tach so a readout is not necessary for me.

Most of the latest Suzuki models come with retarded ignition timing in the first 4 gears. This restriction is applied by Suzuki to limit the available torque in low speeds for road safety.

The SmartMoto Smart TRE bypasses the ignition timing retard applied on Suzuki models and gives the optimal map to all gears for maximum performance.

SmartMoto has created this new version of the popular TRE mod which is smart and does not affect the map of Neutral, while it gives the unrestricted 5th gear signal when any other gear is selected.

Key Features​

• Bypasses the Timing Restriction of the first 4 gears
  • Improves the throttle response and releases maximum torque
  • Does not affect Neutral like the cheap TRE versions
  • Plug and play design, no wire cutting required
  • Compatible with the Power CommanderTM and the Bazzaz Z-FiTM.
  • Disables the Speed limiter on 1000cc+ models
  • * Customer reviews have shown improved power delivery and stronger overall accelerations with the product installed

High Quality Standards​

• The whole product is enclosed into a special high grade resin. It is the most durable design available, it is compact and completely waterproof.
  • We use only OEM connectors to ensure perfect fitment.
  • Plug and play design, no wire cutting required.
  • Sophisticated production and high quality parts ensure top quality product.
  • This product is tested and developed for the listed motorcycles.
Note: Models with standard gear indicators will always show "5" when in any selected gear except of Neutral.

Attachments

• B8E61FF3-BECB-4AF4-9D63-A576732F2E0A.jpeg
    B8E61FF3-BECB-4AF4-9D63-A576732F2E0A.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 159
  • AB4DDDDF-CA41-4E09-BD0C-46DE8F7667A9.jpeg
    AB4DDDDF-CA41-4E09-BD0C-46DE8F7667A9.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 148
Back