• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tusk Crash Bars Back-ordered.

KoryJ

Reaction score
Ordered my Tusk Crash Bars from Rocky Mountain atv mc. Told me it was back-ordered till the end of June. Should revive them first of July. I guess I ordered them a little to late anyway. Hit a deer at about 20-25mph 2 weeks ago didn't do much damage but enough to make me sad I didn't have them on already.

After almost 2 month of waiting my Tusk crash bars are on there way. I celebrated by tearing my bike apart. I purchased the pass through subframe bolt upgrade kit, USB port charger, volt gauge, 2 add on lights (to help me see those dang deer), and a fuse block to top it off. Wile I have it all stripped and naked I'm doing some repairs to the plastic damage from hitting a deer a few months ago, and spraying all my plastic in LineX. Here are a few pics will post more as I go.

eba72ab5fbffa9fb0f63b7283bfebf6e.jpg

1c110a9ab2b05faf01735fa93358fad9.jpg

595a44327fb052c6bc010c1fc3de29c8.jpg

acacf41cfe1432e8b72bf6bf118b0abf.jpg

48153e0bee4dee66075279b0eeb4f788.jpg

db3d5ab1d9ad5784962f3c181926c10b.jpg

KoryJ

Last edited:
We gotta talk about your wiring skills! I know it's a KLR but we gotta tighten that up a little lol!

Lol. It will be better when I get panels back. Just have wires that are way to long just hung on the windshield mounts to keep the fuse block out of my way. I have wires just hanging for a double usb plug, volt gauge, and 2 new lights. I promise I'll clean it up. Lol.

KoryJ

Any progress? Those deer can be rough on equipment.:lol2:

No progress yet. Have had to much rain and humidity to spray the coating on my cowlings and other plastics. Deer are definitely rough on equipment, but ridding gear saves lots of pain that's for sure.

KoryJ

Last edited:
Got a set of Tusk crash bars for my 2015 from RM on the 28th along with the Tusk handguards that we also backordered. They are done very nice, haven't installed them yet, thinking about painting them green, if it stops raining.

trainman

Got a set of Tusk crash bars for my 2015 from RM on the 28th along with the Tusk handguards that we also backordered. They are done very nice, haven't installed them yet, thinking about painting them green, if it stops raining.

trainman

Do you like the tusk hand guards?

KoryJ

By request bwsmax. Lol. Went ahead and put my crash bars on. I love these crash bars.
887845adc2a4d1fca28776cd7134e677.jpg

06d44c5bc49b15b8af5d88983bfc8406.jpg

92c5cca95496366cc4a708843bd50395.jpg

82f5111fd938ed0d888555fa03193a72.jpg

931e3fd965176a7aaa733d3bac363622.jpg

9543c9fcfcc1abc55a65fe2ff50dc0c0.jpg

Here's all the plastic just waiting to be sprayed. Still need to do a little work on one before being sprayed.

6684e9063658bcb9d44408640e5c10a7.jpg

KoryJ

Also Thanks!! to everide for the new stickers. I love watching this guys vids.
35a0102fdaabeaf3c39947764340c93e.jpg
99146b68a52534a527e3cdd342bed3ec.jpg

KoryJ

I've owned five KLR's over the past 15 years and all but one had Tusk Handguards. They are done very well and the fit and finish are top quality. For the price you will be very happy with them, as I have found with most Tusk products.

trainman

Have scheduled to spray all my body parts on Tuesday, have a cardboard mock up of my skid plate going to drop it off to get the steel cut tomorrow. Hopefully coming back together in the next few days. Most are 3/16 aluminum(which is equivalent to 7 gauge). I'm not the biggest fan of aluminum skid plates. Is the reason for building my own. What is you opinion on steel thickness for a skid plate? (11 gauge = 1/8")

10 gauge?
Thoughts?

KoryJ

Last edited:
I'm doing 12 gauge steel well try that. If nothing fails my plastic will be sprayed today.

KoryJ

It quit raining and got the spray rig up and going. I really like how they turned out.

9a00a1ff329d02a9adb836833c2686ac.jpg

KoryJ

Last edited:
Wait wait wait.....

Is this 2-part bedliner or what's the story? Reason I ask, is in my extensive experience trying to refinish motorcycle/atv plastics, not much seems to actually work.

Dirt bike plastics are made with a wax release agent that nothing seems to stick to. Best luck I've had is alot of prep, followed by and adhesion promoter, and then a flex additive in a catalyst finish. Even then, the results are often not great after 2 months and a couple falls.

IF this is a finish that'll actually hold up, I may look into having my xr650 side panels done in white. They're all torn to *****

Wait wait wait.....

Is this 2-part bedliner or what's the story? Reason I ask, is in my extensive experience trying to refinish motorcycle/atv plastics, not much seems to actually work.

Dirt bike plastics are made with a wax release agent that nothing seems to stick to. Best luck I've had is alot of prep, followed by and adhesion promoter, and then a flex additive in a catalyst finish. Even then, the results are often not great after 2 months and a couple falls.

IF this is a finish that'll actually hold up, I may look into having my xr650 side panels done in white. They're all torn to *****

Yeap my father runs a dealership. They have a bed liner spray booth. I talked to several techs from the company they all said with there stuff there is no need for a adhesive promoter just to spray both sides. I used a wire wheel and buffed all the decals off and roughed up the plastic first. I beleave it will work well. It seems to be on there very very good. Had to sand down a couple of pens to fit through another piece. It was very hard to remove from the plastic. I'll keep you guys posted.

KoryJ

Actually, I wonder if it would melt the back side of the side panel over the exhaust....

Does this stuff dry like super brittle, or does it have some flex??

Actually, I wonder if it would melt the back side of the side panel over the exhaust....

Does this stuff dry like super brittle, or does it have some flex??

Pretty flexible. I'm wondering about above the exhaust as well. I have a aftermarket exhaust doesn't really get that hot but we'll have to see.

KoryJ

Are those plastics polypropylene, like regular dirtbike plastics. (Same color all the way through). Or are they like abs plastics, like on a sport bike. (Painted)

I've got a feeling, they're abs.

Are those plastics polypropylene, like regular dirtbike plastics. (Same color all the way through). Or are they like abs plastics, like on a sport bike. (Painted)

I've got a feeling, they're abs.

ABS I guess
039d213558809b1f527aba16b368cdf2.jpg

KoryJ

Last edited:
Back