• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Commuter - Dyna or Versys

Which commuter bike?

• Total voters
My wife has reminded me that I'll be leaving for work before 6 am and I should be mindful of the neighbors! She's afraid the HD will be too loud.

Meh.

I also like the look of the Triumph Tiger 800 XR. I sure wish this was easier.

My wife has reminded me that I'll be leaving for work before 6 am and I should be mindful of the neighbors! She's afraid the HD will be too loud.

Meh. ...

They're not too loud until someone who has no clue what he's doing messes with them and throws away abt 10HP!

Dyna - folk won't stop to help when the Versys quits alongside the umpteen-lane "freeway" (- NOT!) like they will for the Hardly-Doodleson. And it'd likely quit because you forgot to gas it up,not from vibrational loss of critical parts.

But the question is: Why endure a 30mi 1-way commute? That's STUPID from the get-go, IMO. Couldn't pay me enough to put up with Houston's idiocy! OK, OK, you could, but the salary check would have at least 6 zeros after the significant numeral and there'd be a chauffeur in a Mercedes Grosser 600 waiting for my call, 24/7, chilled bottles of Korbel Natural and Blanc de Noir waiting. And two bottles of Blanton's. And some freshly shucked oysters and steamed shrimp. And maybe hot 'n' cold runnin' Blondes. Scratch that . . . Redheads!

I D I O C Y!!!

You couldn't pay me enough to commute into Houston everyday in a car. I've done both, and far prefer a bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And for the OP's question. Get something tall and upright, and something you wouldn't mind filtering on given the need.
If also be looking for the newer triumph tiger or Yamaha tenere

And for the OP's question. Get something tall and upright, and something you wouldn't mind filtering on given the need.
If also be looking for the newer triumph tiger or Yamaha tenere

This is why I keep looking at the Versys. I'm concerned it will be down on power though. Maybe I should up the budget and look at the FJ 09?

There are a LOT of good motorcycles out there; I believe we're in a real golden age for motorcycle design and performance (performance being both HP and durability). As to the original question, my answer would be the Versys, it's taller, so you can see and be seen better, and much nimbler on the handling end. Urban traffic requires a bike that is very "steerable". As far as the other bikes mentioned, I would choose the R1200R.

This is why I keep looking at the Versys. I'm concerned it will be down on power though. Maybe I should up the budget and look at the FJ 09?

The FJ 09 gets my vote. If it's anything like the fz 09, your commute will be fun.

This thread has gotten boring, boring, boring.

I have never felt a need to ask anyone else what (fill in this space) to buy, except that I once asked a friend (former Marine, then appliance repairman) which washers, dryers, and refrigerators TO AVOID.

Buy what you want, what moves you. It shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks; if it does, there are problems bigger than choosing a bike that should be addressed.

If the ergos on the FZ-07 are tight I suggest riding a Versys for a couple of hours. I had one for a couple of years and regretted not getting a DL-650 instead. The Versys has a more compact riding position owing to it being a brother to the 650 Ninja. They share the basic frame, footpeg, and seat arrangement with a different handlebar setup. I am only 5'7" tall and it was a cramped bike for me.

If noise from the Dyna is an issue then someone has changed or modified the exhaust. Returning it to stock would cure that worry.

While visiting with friends in another state we may have (cough cough) compared performance between his stage one modified Dyna and my bone stock Versys. The high revving small bike simply walked away from the bigger, heavier bike.

This comparo (Dyna against Versys) is an interesting either/or situation. My first choice would be neither. Shop for an older adventure bike along the lines of an 1150GS, or an older sport touring mount such as an ST1100 Honda. Either ride would be more comfortable than the Versys and more nimble than the Dyna.

Last edited:

Meh.

I also like the look of the Triumph Tiger 800 XR. I sure wish this was easier.

Yep, life sucks having so many fantastic choices. :rider:

They're not too loud until someone who has no clue what he's doing messes with them and throws away abt 10HP!

Hrm, wasn't aware a bike could have negative horsepower. :rofl:

And for the OP's question. Get something tall and upright

This was my only thought on the two. Seat height. Yea, it's nice to be able to flat foot, but I do enjoy seeing over most of the cars on the road, even if it's just a little bit. Looking over or through vehicles will alert you to things going on further than you could see on a lower bike. It is for this reason that I hate riding behind a cargo van. Can't see over or through, it's like riding behind a moving wall.

I see this in magazines all the time, usually dogging a 600 for use around town. Trust me, most any bike 600cc or above (and some below) will have enough scoot to squirt you out of most situations.

V Strom!

Upright, roomy ergos. Plenty of power. Big aftermarket. Cheap and easy to maintain.

Plus, you get to keep a lot of that v-twin soul that a non v-twin bike just doesn't have.

Seat height. Yea, it's nice to be able to flat foot, but I do enjoy seeing over most of the cars on the road, even if it's just a little bit. Looking over or through vehicles will alert you to things going on further than you could see on a lower bike. It is for this reason that I hate riding behind a cargo van. Can't see over or through, it's like riding behind a moving wall.

I see this in magazines all the time, usually dogging a 600 for use around town. Trust me, most any bike 600cc or above (and some below) will have enough scoot to squirt you out of most situations.

A) I can flat foot the Versys easily.

B) Deep down I know the 650 will have enough power. The SV had more than enough power to easily navigate traffic. I got sort of addicted to the extra power on the Uly though!

V Strom!

Upright, roomy ergos. Plenty of power. Big aftermarket. Cheap and easy to maintain.

Plus, you get to keep a lot of that v-twin soul that a non v-twin bike just doesn't have.

You forgot ugly, ugly & ugly.

This thread has gotten boring, boring, boring.

I have never felt a need to ask anyone else what (fill in this space) to buy, except that I once asked a friend (former Marine, then appliance repairman) which washers, dryers, and refrigerators TO AVOID.

Really? I disagree.

Honestly - I've barely looked at motorcycles for the last 5 years and the market has changed radically. I find the conversation and counterpoints helpful as I'm preparing to drop a decent bit of cash on something that I'll likely have to live with for the next few years.

Not figuring practicality into the equation, I'd go with the Dyna. They just look fun and easy to customize to fit. Can even throw on a windscreen, and Tbag/backpack combo for the commute. Then again, I've always had a Harley itch I've never scratched.

That being said, Ed mentioned the 1150GS. There's one in the for sale section that looks really nice, and you could probably sell it for what you bought it for if you change your mind. They are very easy to maintain. I'd consider that too.

Another consideration, a new Versys will crash in value and may not be the easiest to sell since it's a smaller market of people that ride them. Something to think about in the event commuting isn't what you thought it would be.

I ride a Uly, a Versys and a bunch of Harleys. The Versys was and still is the bike that most resemble the Uly with a modern engine. It has great mass centralization for great handling and is very fast. I regularly cruise and pass other on liter bike with this bike and it could easily go 110 mph+ should the need arises. Like the Uly, it allows me to stand up in the pegs to look over other cars or to get some air above the windscreen.

The Dyna is a different beast. It is a fun and relaxing ride. It might not be the best suited for traffics and lane splitting, but it always put a smile on my face - which is what you might need at the end of the day. Like the Uly, it has a air cooled motor that does cook your legs when in traffic T, but it's hard to beat the torque and the sound of vtwin after a long day at work.

Either bike is a winner. Good luck!

I should add that the Versys, like the Uly could have side cases and topboxes added easily and looks right at home carrying the laptop and raj gear I use for the ride. The Dyna could also work with some larger saddlebags, but won't look right EVER with a topbox.

On my 2003 Dyna Low Rider. I found a backpack was the way to go.

A) I can flat foot the Versys easily.

B) Deep down I know the 650 will have enough power. The SV had more than enough power to easily navigate traffic. I got sort of addicted to the extra power on the Uly though!

There are very few motorcycles I can flat foot easily. :giveup:

You are aware of the comeback of the Suzuki SV650 right? :rider:

There are very few motorcycles I can flat foot easily. :giveup:

You are aware of the comeback of the Suzuki SV650 right? :rider:

NUTT is a little taller than me, and I don't think I've sat on a bike that I couldn't flat foot once I put my weight on it. (No fat jokes please :rofl: )

Of the original two bikes you listed, my vote is for the Versys. My experience with Harley Davidsons has been poor, I have owned 4 of them (2000 and newer) and all had serious mechanical problems. The Dyna is pretty, but there is no excuse for not at least oil cooling the motor.

If you are thinking you will like a cruiser more, check out a Victory Vegas or Kingpin. It will have more power, better reliability, and IMHO looks much better. I put 50k trouble free miles on my 06 Kingpin.

If you are thinking of more of an upright, adv style bike like the versys, you should consider the yamaha super tenere or the suzuki vstrom 1000. I currently commute on a tenere and absolutely love it. Maintenance is simple and easy, shaft drive requires very little.

Get the bike that makes you smile the widest!

I know you are getting a lot of opinions, but remember only one of us in this
thread will be making the payments be happy in your choice use advice but
use it wisely.

A Harley with factory pipes is a pleasant sound in my mind, its not really a performance bike why fool with it. Ride it and enjoy the roll, there is something about those big V-Twins that is relaxing when cruising along.

If your waking up neighbors loud pipes irritate lives no matter what type of bike twin or inline 4

On the flip side there is also a lot to be said for small light and agile. I can remember spending a lot of time on the Waugh drive cloverleaf on my Honda
400F and 500 Interceptor learning to corner well and what suspension changes did to the bike.

My advice is go test ride the Dyna and see how you like it, I dont know if you can find a dealer to test the Verys on as it seems only HD, BMW, Triumph dealers are the most open to test rides unless its a factory demo day, unless it is a dealer you have done a lot of business with over the years.

Well - this happened.

gWToKpo.jpg

Thanks for the discussion - it helped.

Back