• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Africa Twin debut?

I just submitted a request for the price and estimated shipping.

That is too cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
About $7400 after shipping to get that little africa twin. They can keep it.

TTR

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Found this to be interesting..... Review or marketing?
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyIwO_w3FfM"]2016 Africa Twin - Ride Review - YouTube[/ame]

Found this to be interesting..... Review or marketing?
2016 Africa Twin - Ride Review - YouTube
Good review. Except for his statement of Honda creating a new adventure class with the new name he stated. KTM created that years ago with the 950, 990 and now the 1190 which Honda apparently has targeted the AT after.

Funny how everybody raves about the DCT. I don't care how good it is, not for me period. I enjoy shifting and clutching even if it puts me at a disadvantage. Same reason I'll never buy an automatic car or truck or a Rekluse clutch. Detaches me from the ride and reduces riding/driving enjoyment to transportation.

_

the first TWTAT!!

56B09B11-CB6D-41AE-A367-0604A07E665B_zpsnlzl0j5q.png

Just saw one of these on 1960 in north Houston yesterday. He pulled up beside me while I was on my speed triple and chatted for a minute or two. It is a beautiful bike and the owner could not have been happier.

Just saw one of these on 1960 in north Houston yesterday. He pulled up beside me while I was on my speed triple and chatted for a minute or two. It is a beautiful bike and the owner could not have been happier.

Was he a TWT member? If not, did you mention TWT to him? :cool2:

I do like that silver...

New AT owner "wildernessrider"

Can't think of another TWT'er with better skills and riding time to give this machine a real workout. Report back often Donnie. Can't see the left hand controls, hoping it's not a DCT.

13567404_991271520981519_8066365017048323814_n.jpg

_

Holding out for silver/manual this fall.

:zen:

Al Lamb's in Dallas has a silver manual on the floor (at least they did on Saturday). He bought it off another dealer as they won't get any more shipped from Mother Honda until November.

Oh no mine is definitely not a DCT. Funny new twin story; My first ride yesterday afternoon (other than from the Cycle Shack showroom to the house on Saturday night). So Lynn, a friend, and I all go out to the forest to ride the gravel roads. The girls need some seat time on loose dirt and gavel surfaces, and I'm anxious to see if the big new twin feels as incredibly awesome on gravel & dirt roads as it does floating down the big boulevards, and carving turns on the city streets. Soon we stumble upon a small tractor mowed field that is set aside for public gatherings and recreation. it has some inviting dirt and shade trees placed sparsely about the area. so we decide to take a few laps around the various tree trunks, and practice our turns. Pretty soon the big African elephant begins to build a bit of confidence in me, and I decide it is time to see if will really corner like a dirt bike should.
so I build up a little momentum and head it into a nice bare dirt corner. Just as I approach the turn apex...I scoot up onto the tank, heal the bike over, and give her some juice. Sure enough, the big lumbering giant hunkers down, the rear wheel breaks loose and the bike drifts out in a nice controllable arc. As the rear comes around and the bike squares up with the turn I give it a few more beans, expecting to have the rear wheel begin spinning faster until it starts to hook up and make the front end paw for air as I come rocketing out of the turn. Instead the engine starts making this garble of unintelligible noise like a motor that has jumped time, and power output instantly diminishes to almost nil. So I roll out the exit of the corner wondering what in the **** is going on. And cue up to try it again. Same thing! I repeat the process a few more times. each time I get the bike drifting sideways and starting to hook up only to have the power flake out on me at the moment of truth. Dang it, what is the deal here! Now I'm getting concerned! I try jumping into the throttle a few times out on open ground, same deal. Try as I might, the bike won't even loft the front tire. The thoughts in my mind start racing...I'm taking this thing back first thing Tuesday morning and they better be able to tune this beast to where it will get out of its own way! simultaneously I'm also thinking this bike is a Honda, assembled and tested at Cycle Shack no less. Surely to God they wouldn't let a bike out the door that won't even spin up the Rs enough to pull the front wheel off the floor. After about 5 minutes of severe buyers remorse, I finally remember being shown the little button that sets rear traction control at either stage 1,2,3, One being the least traction control and three taking away almost all possibility of a whiskey throttle incident. Then there is still some other button that turns it totally off. (Thank you Jesus!) Now we've finally got a responsive bike that has nice power and is surprisingly nimble on dirt. I am instantly grinning again from ear to ear. My big coast to coast street bike is going to have enough dirt legs to let me venture off road and still enjoy it when the occasion calls.
I can't say thank you enough to the Cycle Shack team for staying until 8pm on a Saturday night, just so they could put me on a new Twin to enjoy the holiday weekend with.
You guys seriously Rock!!!

So far, I totally love the bike, and plan to ride off road dual sport with it often.
Stay tuned for more updates...

Hey I almost forgot. There is another brand new red Africa Twin 6 speed manual, currently available at Honda of Houston. I was going to buy that one until I found out that our friends at Cycle Shack North also got one in. If you are interested, better call rich at Honda of Houston ASAP. These bikes are super sweet, and I doubt this one will stay in the show room for very long.

I had a very similar experience with my new twin. I stopped and thought about it saying this is a Honda there's no way it could ever run like that and less it was on purpose so I found the button if you hold it down for a few seconds it disables the traction control now you'll find out just how good these babies will slide

There is another button to turn off the rear any lunch break but I have found there's more than enough power with these so my street tires to break the rear in loose anytime you want on any kind of dirty

My first experience and awakening to traction control on my Tenere was the opposite. Just as applicable to the AT I believe.

My first real off road riding in northern MS on stock Battle Wing tires. Passed through a long section of snotty mud and it dead ended onto pavement at the apex of an off camber turn. Pulled out, sharp right hand turn, hit the gas hard and rear tire cut loose on me so quick I knew I was going down. Those tires hadn't cleared out and was like riding on ice. But within a nanosecond the TCS stopped slide after about 1-2 feet and had bike pointing straight without drama. I had my TCS on mid setting, if on street/rain mode it wouldn't have allowed any kick out. If TCS was turned off I would've been on my back.

_

I had the exact experience of Donny, as i got more comfortable on the 800 on dirt roads I would start trying to hang the back end out on exits and fall on my face. I was ready to head to dealer next day, then laying in bed that night it hit me, tc was on, duh!

So far, I totally love the bike, and plan to ride off road dual sport with it often.
Stay tuned for more updates...:clap:

Lets do this....:rider::rider:

I must admit I LOVE my AT, it is so freaking fun and agile for a big bike. I have about 750 miles on mine and have really become comfortable now, but I am scared to drop her. The lack of crash bars and the fact that she is new and expensive causes me some hesitation, but I can tell you she slides better than any bike I have ridden so far! It is scary how good it feels.

I did order the Tourtech high crash bars the other day. They don't look like the strongest, but they should be better than nothing.

Buuuuut, if I win the mega million lotto tonight I promise to buy everybody one...:dude:

Buuuuut, if I win the mega million lotto tonight I promise to buy everybody one...:dude:
I had to quote this and post for evidence so you can't go back and edit it later. I'll take a non DCT red and white like Donny's. Or better yet if your check arrives late a red, white and blue if they give us that color for 2017.

_

Back