• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DPS Test

C

Chadwick

I'm off to take the DPS test tomorrow afternoon. You guys/gals have any suggestions about the written test besides to study my MSF class book?

Chad

Come to a complete stop with both feet on the ground where applicable.... :roll: Yes, I know you asked about the written portion but this will flunk you faster IMHO.

Ya gotta keep up with things Bandit... he's only taking the written. He took the MSF last week.

Chad... just do a review of the book while you sit in the parking lot and then go take the test. It's a breeze.

Texas T said:
It's a breeze.

Except for the fact that to save money the written test is now only offered in Spanish...

Texas T said:
Chad... just do a review of the book while you sit in the parking lot and then go take the test. It's a breeze.
Agreed.. just review the book and they pretty much match. But watch out for that best lane position question. :roll:

It's OK - you can miss one or two and still pass. Or - if you get the first 16 right, it just quits with a passing grade (can't fail at that point).

ask me how I know this... :roll:

Chadwick said:
I'm off to take the DPS test tomorrow afternoon. You guys/gals have any suggestions about the written test besides to study my MSF class book?

Chad

Yeah, read the part in the TxDot book about riding in groups. My MSF class didn't talk about that much and my first four questions were on it. Fortunately I got stuck in traffic on the way over to take the test and had just read that section.

Good luck and don't sweat it. It's not that tough a test.

I've heard about the best lane question. That and I think an alcohol question too but I can't find or remember it right now...oh well, I'll find it in the parking lot. I checked the fees online and it's $15 to take the test and get the class added to your license.

It may be too late now. If your DPS office uses the computerized test you can "skip" over questions you don't know the answer to. As soon as you answer the minimum number of questions correctly, the test will stop.

Carl

I didn't study for the written or riding test and passed (more like aced) both. Haven't ever taken any MSF classes either. Like gotdurt said, it's mainly common sense stuff.

When I took the "written" part of the test it was actually on touch screens and you're allowed to skip questions and come back to them, if you haven't already gotten enough right to pass. I think I skipped 2 or 3 questions, I got 1 or 2 wrong, but I still got an 88 on it. It was easy, just don't get yourself worked up about it and it'll all be good.

Kim

There was a couple of questions on there which I missed about riding in groups and passing cars on multiple lanes. None of that was covered in the basic rider course. Maybe in the advanced course? Either way I passed so I've got my license, getting my insurance started Friday, picking up the bike this weekend barring any unforseen events, then I can start livin' the good life. Two wheels ARE better than 4...

Good for you! Hope to see you on a ride one of these days - if I ever find the time to put the darn bike back together.
:evil:

The only part of my motorcycle test I can remember from the 70's was the guy putting marks on the back of my hand, one for left and two for right so they could honk the horn and tell me where he wanted me to go.

The first right turn he honked me for the road was closed for construction, I was soo thinking I was gonna fail as I got a little flustered after that. Passed though.

I've often wondered what has changed since then.

Back