• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Austin TARA: Monthly ride

3 more!
6b648ae4ba1bc60fa1202403618e2394.jpg

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Well things didn't go quite as planned.
One flat, one off, and one drop (causing a pulled ham). Lol.

Well things didn't go quite as planned.
One flat, one off, and one drop (causing a pulled ham). Lol.
I was able to ride down to taco bell in Dripping Springs. Can shift up but not down. My kid is on his way. Ride safe.

Sorry to hear about the problems, glad to hear nothing too serious. Stay safe!!!

Sorry to hear about the problems, glad to hear nothing too serious. Stay safe!!!

No nothing serious, for me just brused ego. Well maybe a little more but it'll heal.

Coming up to a turn, through my glasses I couldn't tell if there was a pile of gravel on the road or just pavement. I forgot to downshift and when I tried to go the bike died. Of course I was leaning to the right, so the bike dropped and I tried to catch it. I heard and felt a pop! Then my leg gave out and down I went. It was really slow, a dog drags but faster. Lucky the GIVI bars and bark busters did their job. But at a cost. I'll have to see about buying a bracket.

Good times!:rider:

Attachments

• 20170805_135857.jpg
    20170805_135857.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 284
  • 20170805_135903.jpg
    20170805_135903.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 282
  • 20170805_140002.jpg
    20170805_140002.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 274
Glad everyone made it home safe. Elio, I can't wait to see your crash footage.

Yep, thanks to Spiritatbay (Gina) for the ice and the rest for sticking around with me. Much appreciated.

Thank you everyone for the great ride. Was a real pleasure meeting you all.
Sorry for the flat tire, but hey... Having the master, Trail Boss, passing a Flat tire session is priceless!

I made it to Austin just in time to get lost and miss the ride. Still, had a great day riding. Texas is way better than Washington, D.C. I will see you all next time.

Someone from the ride today used a Molle tactical bag as a compact side bag on his GS1200.
If it's you, Can please you share a link or a picture?

Thanks

After Shai's flat and DSV's and Elio's mishaps (so sorry guys!), we joked that for this month's ride, the theme song would be the tune to Gilligan's Island, ("a three hour tour"). After all, the route was only 100 miles.

After the attrition due to injuries to man and steed, plus a few due to the lateness of the hour, those that remained had lunch at a surprisingly good gas station restaurant Oli's (?) in Round Mountain.

JT and I continued on alone, following Rich's route. On Old Spicewood Road, I saw a side street named, "Dead Man's Hole". Couldn't pass that up. The gravel road led to one of those Texas "hysterical markers". It proved pretty interesting reading:

4a03efe6d778fdd50de6802343644f62.jpg

The cave itself is now sealed with a metal plate.

47d8e1abc372c4701389269cfd8b33fd.jpg

Soon after leaving the hole, we discovered that Burnam Ranch rd does not go through.

Undeterred, we continued on, picking up the trail again and ending up near my family cemetery in Spicewood . We visited my dad's grave and rested in the shade for a bit before shoving off again.

df092353bcaecf82f089a1e22f961321.jpg

We plotted a route to take us south and west again toward Kerrville using secondary roads. On the way we discussed where to eat as we were both hungry again. A stop at The Stagecoach for cool drinks and a snack rejuvenated us enough to get us to Centerpoint where we planned to eat at the Burger Barn. Alas, they were closed. We then pulled in to Toucan Jim's but their lack of AC made us walk right back out and get on the bikes again. Our next choice was a little Mexican joint in Kerrville. Foiled again! They were closed for vacation.

Eventually we found ourselves in Wilson's Ice House. A place I've been wanting to check out for some time. The tacos were just ok. The spinach salad was excellent. (The steady stream of '80's big hair rock bands got old after a while.)

We left KV at 8am and returned home sometime between 4 and 5:00. 243 miles for the day.

Thanks Rich, for a wonderful little route, several twisty, curvy roads I had not ridden before.

Elio, I believed when we left you that your son was on his way to you. Why did you then ride all the way to Dripping Springs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
After Shai's flat and DSV's and Elio's mishaps (so sorry guys!), we joked that for this month's ride, the theme song would be the tune to Gilligan's Island, ("a three hour tour"). After all, the route was only 100 miles.

After the attrition due to injuries to man and steed, plus a few due to the lateness of the hour, those that remained had lunch at a surprisingly good gas station restaurant Oli's (?) in Round Mountain.

JT and I continued on alone, following Rich's route. On Old Spicewood Road, I saw a side street named, "Dead Man's Hole". Couldn't pass that up. The gravel road led to one of those Texas "hysterical markers". It proved pretty interesting reading:

4a03efe6d778fdd50de6802343644f62.jpg

The cave itself is now sealed with a metal plate.

47d8e1abc372c4701389269cfd8b33fd.jpg

Soon after leaving the hole, we discovered that Burnam Ranch rd does not go through.

Undeterred, we continued on, picking up the trail again and ending up near my family cemetery in Spicewood . We visited my dad's grave and rested in the shade for a bit before shoving off again.

df092353bcaecf82f089a1e22f961321.jpg

We plotted a route to take us south and west again toward Kerrville using secondary roads. On the way we discussed where to eat as we were both hungry again. A stop at The Stagecoach for cool drinks and a snack rejuvenated us enough to get us to Centerpoint where we planned to eat at the Burger Barn. Alas, they were closed. We then pulled in to Toucan Jim's but their lack of AC made us walk right back out and get on the bikes again. Our next choice was a little Mexican joint in Kerrville. Foiled again! They were closed for vacation.

Eventually we found ourselves in Wilson's Ice House. A place I've been wanting to check out for some time. The tacos were just ok. The spinach salad was excellent. (The steady stream of '80's big hair rock bands got old after a while.)

We left KV at 8am and returned home sometime between 4 and 5:00. 243 miles for the day.

Thanks Rich, for a wonderful little route, several twisty, curvy roads I had not ridden before.

Elio, I believed when we left you that your son was on his way to you. Why did you then ride all the way to Dripping Springs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi! I was hungry! Also did it for my wife and son to shorten their travel. I took my bike to the dealer for repair and spent over an hour pulling cactus needles from my legs and right arm. Anyway, I had a great time with great people. Thanks y'all. See ya on next month ride!!!

The first post identifies 7100 W. US Hwy 290 Service Rd, Austin, 78736 as the starting point for the monthly ride. Is it possible that it is actually "East" US Hwy 290? Thanks!

The first post identifies 7100 W. US Hwy 290 Service Rd, Austin, 78736 as the starting point for the monthly ride. Is it possible that it is actually "East" US Hwy 290? Thanks!

Hi Surfdad, Google seems to have the numbers wrong. Google "Jim's, Oak Hill, Austin, TX." The restaurant is just west of the lot we meet in and it's street address is 7100 W. 290. Google coordinates 30.233950, -97.875543 for the meet parking area.

JT

Hi Surfdad, Google seems to have the numbers wrong. Google "Jim's, Oak Hill, Austin, TX." The restaurant is just west of the lot we meet in and it's street address is 7100 W. 290. Google coordinates 30.233950, -97.875543 for the meet parking area.

JT

It's the parking lot that makes it the "Y" in Oak Hill.

Re: Austin TARA: Monthly ride - August 2017 Ride, Spicewood, TX – Video

Here is the video of our ride up to my crash and a couple of pics from the day.

Thanks for the ride and support. I’m glad I joined a great family of riders.

My bike will be ready for next month ride!!! Looking forward to it.

Here is the link to the video: https://youtu.be/BD_4mbYL334

Enjoy! See ya next month!

Cool video. I viewed the crash several times to try and determine what the cause was. Came up empty. Can you elaborate? Good job missing the cacti.

Here is the video of our ride up to my crash and a couple of pics from the day.

Thanks for the ride and support. I’m glad I joined a great family of riders.

My bike will be ready for next month ride!!! Looking forward to it.

Here is the link to the video: https://youtu.be/BD_4mbYL334

Enjoy! See ya next month!

Thanks Kman,

The video doesn't show the terrain and inclines of the road very well. I remember been hit by an insect that got into my jacket prior to the curve. You'll see it in the video around 8 seconds before going down. So... I did everything that we learned not to do; I got distracted (by the insect), didn't slow down, panicked and didn't commit to the curve. And, didn't missed the cacti. :) Spent over an hour that night pulling cactus needles fro my legs and right arm. My bike's shift lever broke and I was able to ride it down to Driftwood where I got rescued by my son. I was able to shift up while riding but not shift down gears, that was done by hand when stopped.

The things I did right was to wear my protection gear and ride with an awesome group. Hope to meet you on next ride.

Have a great week and ride safe!

Thanks Kman,

The video doesn't show the terrain and inclines of the road very well. I remember been hit by an insect that got into my jacket prior to the curve. You'll see it in the video around 8 seconds before going down. So... I did everything that we learned not to do; I got distracted (by the insect), didn't slow down, panicked and didn't commit to the curve. And, didn't missed the cacti. :) Spent over an hour that night pulling cactus needles fro my legs and right arm. My bike's shift lever broke and I was able to ride it down to Driftwood where I got rescued by my son. I was able to shift up while riding but not shift down gears, that was done by hand when stopped.

The things I did right was to wear my protection gear and ride with an awesome group. Hope to meet you on next ride.

Have a great week and ride safe!
Correction: i was able to ride down to Dripping Springs.

Back