• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need vs. Want...how do you handle it?

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
So... I WANT a new bike. More specifically, I want another bike. I don't want to get ride of the bike I have.

I have a 1400 Concours and I love it. I WANT a ZX-6R. I've never owned a small light sport bike, and I think it'd be a hoot and a half.

But. LOL

I haven't ridden as many miles the last two years as I'd like. I feel like I WILL be able to ride a lot more this year than last. But I'd be sorely disappointed in myself if I got it and then rode only as many miles this year as I did last.

How do you go about making the "right" decision for YOU when faced with a dilemma? I'm not asking anyone what *I* should do. LOL I'm just asking for perspectives to help me set my mind. I literally talk myself in and out of it over and over. Yesterday was my birthday and it would have been a terrific birthday present to myself. LOL

Odd. This is a timely conversation. I just paid off my FJR and am now looking for a sportbike to put next to it in the garage. I've owned one before and cannot wait to get back out on the track and in the twisty bits. My FJR satisfies all my motorcycling NEEDS and some of my wants, but is lacking for some of the wants.

As I'm working on hammering out a deal, I guess you can figure out which way I'm going in relation to your question.

Looking forward to seeing how your decision turns out. In the end, you need to be responsible, but also acknowledge that the years you have left to ride fast motorcycles are limited, so get out and have fun! :D

I hear once you buy the 2nd one the 3rd one's a lot easier. :trust:

I've had more than one at a time, which is part of why I tapped the brakes on buying a second one this time around. The last time I had 2, I rode one of them 500 miles in a year. LOL

I actually went through this a few weeks ago. It all started 3 months prior. I've been back and forth with myself on whether I really NEEDED to buy the new bike. My current one was paid for and I didn't want to have 6 months of payments on another bike.

The sensible side of me was strong, because I didn't NEED a new bike. My current bike was satisfying most of my moto wants. But, but but...

I kept looking at bikes on and off during the three months. I knew what I waned - a DL650 with low mileage and no more than 4 years old. So I worked a few deals and kept walking away because the deals just weren't good enough to overpower my sensible sight.

Then one day I walked into Action Kawasaki in Mesquite, knowing they had a 2012 DL650 adventure with 3k miles on the floor. Unlike other DLs I walked away from, this was love at first sit.

The bike spoke to me. It wouldn't have been enough to convince my sensible side, but I got a great deal on it took it home same day.

No regrets. I'm happy and that's all that matters. Life is unpredictable so I might as well enjoy it now.

:tab If you are paying all your regular bills and meeting your responsibilities, what comes after that is just personal preference. Need is rarely an objective standard. You just have to consider the other things YOU might wish to do with the money versus getting a bike. The problems start when you let other things go so you can buy the bike and those things start to come back to bite you. I mean let's face it, most of us don't REALLY need a bike. We simply have one (or more) because we can and we enjoy it.

There were times when I had more than one bike in the garage, these days I just keep them one at a time... for now. I regularly commute 16,800 miles in eleven months, and that has a great influence on need versus want. For me I traded the 2011 Ninja 1K for a 2015 Versys LT because the need and want were closely overlapped. The "delta" or cost between the two was minimal at $25.00 more per month. I believe I'll make up that saving with better fuel mileage. Ultimately, the lure of a more comfortable seating position for the 45+ minute commute each way was always in the back of my mind. To add ABS and Traction Control was a bonus. When I learned that hard bags for the 2011 were no longer available, it sealed the deal to move to another bike.

The need/want equation was also tipped because I envisioned even more time in the saddle. Time will tell if I made a smart decision.

Years ago there was the Barn Find of the Gods. '26 Indian and three newer, a handful of Harley flatheads, a post war Zundap, another handful of Brit iron and more 70s-90s UJMs than could be cataloged. I wanted it all, but with two projects in the garage, passed on all. Eventually I ended up with an RD400 Daytona for my trouble that is still in the way in my barn.

My primary transportation is a bike, but for most it is nothing but a toy and that is just a want. To add to Tourmeister's point, if you have enough money on hand to sock away the price of the bike into a retirement account AND buy the bike, then do both.

As I have gotten older and the acceptance that riding and living will come to an end, my priorities have changed. I am a lot more likely to buy what I want and enjoy it while I can.

I let the budget handle it, and don't finance toys. It's a self-limiting situation until I make my millions, at which time we'll have to revisit the strategy.

I went that route for a while. Came up with a genius plan to get the FJR. It required some wheeling and dealing with the wife though.

She's had surgery and we had to put a bunch of that on credit and were paying it off, but the CC interest rate was pretty high and kicking our butts. I bought the FJR on credit through my bank with a low interest rate loan, then sold my old bike and took the cash from that sale and paid off the expensive credit card situation. Thus, I upgraded my bike while moving high interest debt to low interest debt.

I could have straight up sold the old bike and paid the CC's for sure, but I'd have been bikeless for a while and that's my primary transportation, so this worked out and now it's paid for. :D

As I have gotten older and the acceptance that riding and living will come to an end, my priorities have changed. I am a lot more likely to buy what I want and enjoy it while I can.

Exactly...

It's not REALLY about the money...it's the power-to-weight ratio. LOL If I WANTED it badly enough I can afford the bike and never ride it. LOL But that isn't any fun. When I sold my VTX, it was like "Well, paying insurance, I spent 60 cents a mile on that bike that year. That's stupid."

It leads to trouble, I have 3 and am thinking on number 4 as a matter of fact i made a first right of refusal offer on it tonight
I'm betting it's a street bike ???

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

I'm betting it's a street bike ???

Yes something rather sporting even though i really want a
newer dirt bike instead (something more modern than the 92) but it was one of those I lusted after
when it came out bikes and it is a great bike at a great price

Last edited:
0b601c9d4eaf2c0efffcfb78dcfbd369.jpg

^^this is where I'm at^^

I am sporting five of them right now, amazingly, four of them are '06 models and one is an '07. I got down to one and then I got offered "deals" from my buddies. I have a free trials bike that I am at about $1150.00 into with parts.

I bought a used Gixxer 750 and I think it was one of the best purchases I made. It is already track sorted, and I love the thing, so my buying price was cash money. The other bikes are paid for as well.

My best advice to any motorcycle junkie is to fix your own bikes, and get a little one to putt around the neighborhood on. I have a Ruckus that I love to go zipping around on when I get home. It is just like riding a big one, but it is way more laid back. The Ruckus has taken the sting out of many a bad day. Before that I have had a zillion little bikes to play with.

I am going to be 58 this year, I still ride at the racetrack because I love it. I am currently trying to get in better shape so I can ride the track into my 70's. If I can't ride on the track anymore, I will ride on the street. I will even ride a three wheeler if it comes to it. I love to ride, I love sporty scooters, and I love to meet folks and talk about motorcycles.

So, this old fat man would tell you, buy the bike, stare at it, sit on it, work on it, clean it, show it to folks, and enjoy it. You cannot overestimate the value of having some motorcycle therapy out there in the garage. Even a broken one provides enjoyment (sometimes I think I like the broken ones even more) so BUY THE BIKE! Don't look back, don't over analyze it, just enjoy the motorcycle and your life.

Be Good, Wear Gear, Do Wheelies...

IMG_1964.jpg

This. At 62 I am not getting younger. :eek2: I started riding in 2008 at age 55. Now, after 90K+ miles I am on bike number three, 2009 Goldwing. I did not NEED any of it but it was time to do what I WANT and not just what I NEED. all subject to budget considerations of course. I am crazy, not stupid. So far I have not financed a bike, cars yes, bikes no.

I actually spotted the 'Wing at the Honda shop while buying a tire for my NT700. It was still available a month later and I succumbed to the Siren's call.:rider:

Back