• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tire Recommendations: 2002 Dl1000

Reaction score
First Name
Hector
Last Name
Gomez
I am a year round daily commuter on my strom. I would like to see what tire recommendations anyone has. I live in Dallas, texas.

Thanks!!:trust:

Hector

I'm in the same boat. I've had Tourances and Anakees and loved them both - the Tourance maybe 5% more dirt and the Anakee nice and super sticky on pavement.

I want a longer lifespan though, since I'll be doing a lot of commuting and running the center of the tire down flat after only a few months seems like a big waste.

I'm all ears...

Conti Trail Attacks. My new favorite tire for the Strom's.

Don't let the name fool you. They are IMO 100% street tires.

I'm gonna be looking this fall to replace mine on the Strom as well. I don't want dry rot to sideline us now that the Versys is almost back at home.

How are the Conti Trail Attacks on packed dirt and packed gravel?

Just like any other street tire, fine. Packed dirt and gravel, I've taken full on street bikes with pure street bike tires on, and I've never had problems. So in that aspect I'd say they are just as good as any other tire on the market.

I do like their pavement manners better than the tourances, or Anakee's. And with my old bike I had the Conti Road Attacks, and I prefer the feel of the Trail Attacks over them too.

Matching street tires to the Strom sizes kind of limits choices. That Trail Attack looks pretty good. The tough fit is that 19" front.

The Shinko 705 is worth considering as a budget tire.

Street tires on street bikes really do work on packed dirt. Packed or even semi-packed gravel are no problem either.

DS_FJR.jpg

Then again, it has been rumored that I might be crazy.

I run Michelin's on pretty much any bike I have. Pilot Road 2 for the street and Anakee for the dual sport. For the DL1000, I prefer the Pilot Road 2, as mine served as the Uber-commuter. Thus far the Michelin's have provided excellent traction in the wet.

1) ROT Rally, big thunderstorms on the first night, no issues with Concours 14 shod with Pilot Road 2's.
2) Daily rider rain or shine, KLR shod with Anakees. Been commuting each day, and the only slowing for "rain" are the cagers who are doing 10 or more under the speed limit. Otherwise, I don't even bother to slow for the mud that is pulled across the road by the tracked vehicles on Fort Hood.

Where did you find a PR2 in the 19" size for the front of a Strom???

Sorry for the typo. Mashed together two thoughts at once.

I prefer the Pilot Road 2, but for Uber-Commuting on the Strom I had the Pilot Road. I was so impressed with the Michelin's on my other bikes that I did not wait for the OEM tires to wear out on the KLR. I had it shod with the Anakees at the 600 miles service. It is going to be a bit tougher call on the Fizzy. It came with Dunlop's, and the service manual list the Pilot Road as an acceptable replacement. However, I favor the Pilot Road 2's and will do some checking to make sure there would be no issue in using them. The stock Dunlop's have done well, even in the rain, but they are wearing quicker than I would like.

Again sorry about the typo.

Back