• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Locksmith that can copy Ducati Multistrada 620 keys?

Reaction score
I have a Ducati Multistrada 620 (2006) that I just got. It only has one working key, though.

I didnt think finding a place to copy it would be a big deal, but i have called 7 locksmiths so far and nobody will even touch it "because its a motorcycle"

Anyone know a good place in the DFW area (near Plano preferably, but i'll go wherever) that will copy these?

it's basically one of these:
k278Uxbm.jpg

Have Ducati duplicate it? The big question is whether or not it is steel or alloy. A magnet can help you solve that. Buy a blank online. Then it should just be a matter of finding a locksmith that cuts steel keys. I just went through this with my 1975 BMW key. Cothron's in Austin cut the blank for $6. They didn't warrant the work, but it worked fine.

Have Ducati duplicate it? The big question is whether or not it is steel or alloy. A magnet can help you solve that. Buy a blank online. Then it should just be a matter of finding a locksmith that cuts steel keys. I just went through this with my 1975 BMW key. Cothron's in Austin cut the blank for $6. They didn't warrant the work, but it worked fine.

Ducati won't touch it, because I dont have The Red Key, or at least the one Ducati place I called won't do it.

Ducati won't touch it, because I dont have The Red Key, or at least the one Ducati place I called won't do it.

It would appear this will be expensive to resolve.

Buying a Ducati with no red key

Looking to buy a Ducati? Does it come without a red key and you're afraid of what that means?
Hopefully the information on this page has been useful, you should have enough information to make a fair decision what it will cost "extra" after you buy the bike. While you probably will not get the cost of a new stock Dash and ECU off the asking price, you could easily ask for a few hundred off the blue book value and have a great bike.

I myself have owned a Ducati monster for almost 5 years now, never seeing it's red key once. In fact I've only owned one black key for her as well! Turns out, just paying attention where your bike's key is all you have to do. If you're a mindful person, the lack of the red key should never affect you enjoying your bike so don't fret and get out and ride (or install a performance tuned ECU and ride harder!)

http://ducatikeys.runfrom.us/

with a lost RED key, you need to find a locksmith that can clone keys, who will basically copy the chip info from your one key to a generic key blank/chip. The bike sees it the same key, no programming required. Do this before you lose the one working key. Any modern locksmith should be able to do this.

I know we can clone all the Aprilia, Moto-Guzzi, and Vespa immoblizer equipped keys in-house. There are about 5 various chip types used on all MCs. The car key chips are way more complicated. If Ducatis use a T5 style chip, we can clone it.

I'm not sure where they are going with that since the key has to be programmed with the red key. I've had chipped car keys scanned and duplicated before. Don't know why it would be different. Call Cothron's in Austin and ask. I'll bet you'll at least get the correct answer and an explanation of why not. (512) 454-9547

with a lost RED key, you need to find a locksmith that can clone keys, who will basically copy the chip info from your one key to a generic key blank/chip. The bike sees it the same key, no programming required. Do this before you lose the one working key. Any modern locksmith should be able to do this.

I know we can clone all the Aprilia, Moto-Guzzi, and Vespa immoblizer equipped keys in-house. There are about 5 various chip types used on all MCs. The car key chips are way more complicated. If Ducatis use a T5 style chip, we can clone it.

There you go! An answer as I typed.

a cloned key will not need any programming....bike doesn't know the difference, its 100% the same key.

reasonably sure it uses a T5. the ILCO blank is a KW17T5. I'm up near Plano and would love to find someone locally up here that has the blanks in stock, but barring that, i'd love to give you my business. You're near San Antonio right? Would you be willing to receive my key via FEDEX/UPS or other trackable, overnight service, and send it back to me?

I'm kinda nervous as this is my ONLY working key and do not want to lose it to the mail.

I drove it over to a locksmith locally, and their gizmo was able to read it, but because it wasn't on their little cheatsheet they were positive they couldn't do it. They are propably scared I will sue them if I have issues.

Evewry other locksmith i've called refuses to even discuss it, because it's "not on their list" so its not as easy as I expected.

I know you said DFW area but I have this problem the dealer told me basically your f'ed it'll cost $3,100 to get new dash ecu red and 2 black keys. So I went down the street to Houston Superbikes who said they will clone the key. Sorry far from you but I'm sure someone up there can do it

Back