• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mad Scientist Tire Academy

i-NjMkrgv-M.jpg

Baja No Pinch Tire Tool

Let's see it! :rider:

Hey, how did that tire tool work? Did you ever give it a try?

Just mounted a Conti TKC 80 on the KTM

Using the Baja No Pinch, the brand new, cold tire went on in about 90 seconds :clap::clap::clap::clap:

In fact, the only time you sweat with tire levers is the initial step in getting the bead off the tire, maybe the first 4 to 6 bites on the first side. The Baja No Pinch isn't for removing a tire from a rim, its for installing the tire back onto the rim. Therefore, you still carry tire levers to pop the bead off the tire. But once you start the process on almost any tire and rim combo, that process goes fast, then you replace or patch your tube THEN the Baja No Pinch tire tool comes into play.

There ain't nothin' like it, folks!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/44833/i/matrix-concepts-1-7-formula-8-tire-mounting-lube

I upgraded from Windex. I carry some of this in a small eyeglass cleaner spray bottle.

Another plug for this stuff - best I've ever used since kojack recommended it.

I bought enough to give to all my trail riding buds so there's ample supply out there in the boonies. Other than dropping the bead of the tire into the well when working the opposite side, this stuff is the second secret to making a possible tough job 10 times easier

Buy a good supply and some of the eyeglass cleaner travel bottle kojack mentioned, and make sure all your buds are prepared.

i-qWHh2HF-L.jpg

312EsuGbwOL.jpg

This stuf works very well. This is the generic tire lube that commercial tire shops use. Comes in an 8lb bucket, $18, a lifetime supply for you and all your buds. Straight from the bucket it is like jello, smear it on the bead uncut for mounting. I keep an old Ibuprofen bottle full of the gel with the bike tools. Mix a little with water in a tiny squirt bottle and squirt it on the rim for dismounting.

Also, if you are trying to mount a tubless tire and having trouble getting the bead to seat enough to inflate, loosely pack the gap between the tire and the rim with the gel. Smear it on thick enough that it fills the gap. When you apply the hose and the tire starts to fill, almost all of the gel will be pushed out on the sidewall. Just scoop it up and put it back in the bucket.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Camel-Tire-12095-Lubricant-8Lbs/dp/B000CIUOMY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1429890738&sr=1-1&keywords=tire+mounting"]http://www.amazon.com/Camel-Tire-12095-Lubricant-8Lbs/dp/B000CIUOMY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1429890738&sr=1-1&keywords=tire+mounting[/ame]

Last edited:
I've used Ride-on in both tube and tubeless tires and will be putting some in the f650 as soon as I get some. On el tigre, it took care of a balance problem in the front that only showed at high speed with the shinkos. I think they have a tube and a tubless formulation and claim near 100 percent with tubless if the hole is less than 1/8 and in the contact area and 80 to 90 percent with tubes. Slime doesn't stay put inside the tire and is , well, slimey and messy when you change a tire. I picked up a screw , pulled it out and watched the Ride on plug it. took aquick ride to force it in the hole and it was good for 2000 miles until new tires.

Commentary from a buddy over in the Is Mexico Safe? thread where we're discussing tire care issues

Another great comment added here, on the subject of "practice before your trip, not on the trail"

I could not agree more with this... nothing will leave you more stranded on the side of the road, yet so easy to diagnose and then fix with a few simple tools, I have a test tire here that I practice on with mushroom plugs and sticky strings on a regular basis, and carry both all the time...

Hot and dusty is bad, cold dark and raining is worse IMHO.....

More motivation from the twtex.com photo gallery (I do not know photo credit - post up if this is your photo)

FP-145.jpg

This post is from dwj - Donnie from the IMS thread on ADV. The perspective of someone who spent years in the tube and tire industry:

Of my 36 years plus in the tire/tube manufacturing industry, 30 years was in manufacturing tubes, including one facility in Mexico. I come up through the Production ranks and do not claim to be a technical expert, but I do have a bit of knowlege concerning the technical process.

I will throw out a couple thoughts I have, use as you wish. :deal

Just in case you may not know, inner tubes have not been made with natural rubber in decades, except for racing and aircraft inner tubes. I personally see no need for ultra heavy duty tubes unless you are running really low air pressures and are concerned with rim pinches.

I never use a repaired tube unless it is an emergency. :deal it is not a matter of if it will fail, only how long it will take and how fast you might be going if you suffer a "blow out". If circumstances require you to use a repaired tube, if possible have the patch 'cooked" on. Many years ago, we actually repaired damaged tubes in the factories and sold them as "blemishes". However, we were using the exact butyl compound that the tube was made from as a patch and other manufactoring varibles not available in the field. It was eventually stopped due to being unreliable. :deal As far as a thicker tube, it will cause higher operating temps which is not desirable and will lead to premature wear of the tire. Of course if the torn/nail/whatever sticks through your tire less than the thickness of the tube, you will not get a flat.

I do not carry a 21" spare tube for a spare for the front and the rear. if you have a 17" rear, carry a 4.00/4.50 x 18", if you have a 18" rear carry a 400/450 x 19" spare. You biggest concerns are having folds in the mounted tube and causing "thin Spots" due to over stretching the walls of the tube. I am more concerned with over stretching the walls of the tube which can lead to tears or substantial losses of air through the side walls and in some cases, "blow outs". I do carry a 21" currently, because my rear has been modified to tubeless. :D

If you plug a tubeless tire on the road, at the first opportunity, have the plug shaved off even with the inside of the tire and have a patch cover the hole from the inside. Do not remove the plug from the tire. While the patch is a more desirable cover for the hole, the plug will prevent water and other foreign material from entering the carcass of the tire.

I have the Pro Motion Tire Breaking tools and at least for the front Heidauas, they work quite well. I have not used then on the rear, but I do not expect a problem.

More motivation from the twtex.com photo gallery (I do not know photo credit - post up if this is your photo)

That would be Stan's 450 setting on RG's Out-Bak-Jak. Roger is looking on with dire concern while Stan and Steve deal with a profound absence of rear tire pressure. The unsavory looking character passing along in the background is now in the witness protection program and cannot be identified. We're all joyfully on the first semi-level spot just south of Imogene Pass (the Telluride side) and doing our best to warm up after being rained, sleeted and snowed upon while recently tarrying near the peak just above. The route down was still fully snowed in until we scrubbed some elevation. Truly brings back special memories for those who've traveled this trail. :trust:

Since my nimble little fingers are all warmed up now anyway...

No doubt the fellow quoted as having extensive time and experience in the tire industry should be considered. If I was inclined to ride on pavement then his advice would merit some attention. I'm not and here's where he and I diverge. Dirt tires seem to handle patched tubes pretty well. Lower pressures...sure. Heavier construction, yep. When JT says he patches them and runs till the valve stem cracks, he's not alone. When I start putting patches next to older patches and they begin to over-lap...then it gets chunked. Super heavy tubes are, well, heavy and take up lots of room. A regular tube with sealant does a pretty good job. They're light enough and small enough to carry both an 18 and 21 incher without much fuss. You know, this is one of those things that everyone gets to do as they can feel good about. I think most folks will attest that pinching a tube with a tire tool or trail hack accounts for way more tube swaps than punctures. Moral of this windy tale is - carry regular tubes and learn to use a tire tool. Also, don't fear a good patch job.

I did switch to vulcanizing adhesive and patches based upon this post

For the upcoming Mexico trip: standard tubes; Ride On, vulcanizing patches and adhesive; Baja No Pinch Tire tool, standard spares.

It's virtually impossible to pinch a tube during install with the Baja No Pinch tool. You don't even touch your tire spoons (which you have to carry to get the tire off the rim)

Whoever invented these should get a Nobel Prize.
TIRE TOOL

That little lip on the end is pure magic for avoiding pinch problems. The combo box end for rim lock and valve stem nut is great. These things just work.

Those are what I have/use, but no longer for putting the tire back on the rim, just for removal

You already know what I use to put the tire back on the rim. :sun:

I like easy :giveup:

Thanks for posting these reviews Tricepilot. Glad to hear that the Baja No Pinch is no gimmick. Due to the price I was waiting for reports to see how it actually performed. Already have enough gadgets that sorta help sometimes.

Trust me Donny, it's the closest thing to the Holy Grail of putting a tire back onto a rim (or mounting a fresh, tough tire for the first time) that I can think of.

You could drive over this thing with your truck and not damage it. It will literally last a lifetime.

Remember to use liberal amounts of lube with this or any tire mounting strategy.

Bullet proof, and life long construction materials you say? OK, Thanks again! This tells me I need to order the whole kit, so I will have the right axle adaptors for any wheel I need to work on going forward.

Thanks for your gracious offer, and I may take you up on it sometime very soon. A second pair of hands sure does easy the job up a bunch. In fact that pic of me with the flat tire between my legs on this thread was one of those thank God I had help flats. It was on the 1st Uncles Desert Challenge, and luckily I had 4-5 of our more seasoned DS riders helping me. We were all struggling with that stubborn 17" Super Moto tire. Several of us commented we hadn't ever run into one quite this tough before. If ever there was a time when the Baja No Pinch was dearly needed. We almost gave up it was such a struggle. As I remember it was on that "OK we'll try it once more" effort that we finally got the tire spooned back on. Luckily we didn't pinch it...or it would have surely been the sag wagon for me. Now, in case you missed the moral of this rambling tale... Be careful what you sign up for. Cause as of yet... we still don't have no Baja No Pinch. But I do at least now have a portable tire mounting stand which makes it somewhat easier. :trust:

Thanks for your gracious offer, and I may take you up on it sometime very soon. A second pair of hands sure does easy the job up a bunch. In fact that pic of me with the flat tire between my legs on this thread was one of those thank God I had help flats. It was on the 1st Uncles Desert Challenge, and luckily I had 4-5 of our more seasoned DS riders helping me. We were all struggling with that stubborn 17" Super Moto tire. Several of us commented we hadn't ever run into one quite this tough before. If ever there was a time when the Baja No Pinch was dearly needed. We almost gave up it was such a struggle. As I remember it was on that "OK we'll try it once more" effort that we finally got the tire spooned back on. Luckily we didn't pinch it...or it would have surely been the sag wagon for me. Now, in case you missed the moral of this rambling tale... Be careful what you sign up for. Cause as of yet... we still don't have no Baja No Pinch. But I do at least now have a portable tire mounting stand which makes it somewhat easier. :trust:

The Baja No Pinch and just a little bit of your preferred tire lube would have made that a 2 minute job!

For tubeless tires, some sage tire wisdom from our man Jim in Mazatlan:

I think this is one more for Trice's tire school, I had just come out of the cold up on the hill wanting it to warm up... it did and the bike started getting squirrely, pulled over flat tire, first thing I thought I'd find the culprit, nothing... got out the electric pump, tire not taking air, the air line is dry as a bone and letting go breaking up, I'd cut it off push in the chuck and crumble..again and again.... ***...
Now the pump is not that old, and it does get used...
See below...

DSCF1951-M.jpg

I see a paint crew up the road and carry the wheel up cause I know they have air so I can find the leak... we found it and I can't fix this...

DSCF1954-M.jpg

It was spitting the brass insert out of the stem, it was hanging by a thread...

DSCF1956-M.jpg

****...104F...

Told the paint guys to watch my bike and hitched a ride 4 miles back to a LLantera I saw with the wheel...
And he fixed it....

DSCF1949-M.jpg

2.5 Hours later.. and all is good... and going home...

I am really glad I had some light weight leather work gloves, everything was hot a pistol, wheel wise... I could hardly sit on the ground the blacktop was cooking my butt... F'n104F..

So now I am on the hunt for some better stems, Wunderlich?
And now....:freaky

And Donnie's followup advice:

Back