• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Exhaust Ceramic Coating

So has anyone found a decent Cera coater other than Polydyne ?

Actually , a decent Cera coater thats reasonable for a good job .

I have 4 or 5 diff headpipes ready to send for coating but Poly.was / is on the expensive side for what your getting .

I know some of there other coatings are very good and reasonable for the job and finish they do .

I've heard there's a place in the New Braunfels area that does a good job and reasonable . I think .

I'll see if I can locate him and maybe a discount would be in order for a 1/2 dozen to a dozen qty. break .

Anyone be interested doing this depending on price/quality ?

Polydyne is a quality company (in coating you get what you pay for) the price is very reasonable at only $150 for ceramic coating 75 linear inches of 1.5" tube header.

Not sure what you think your time is worth, but Time, materials, equipment required, prep of part, application and cure... ..$150 for that job is a good price.

Polydyne is a quality company (in coating you get what you pay for) the price is very reasonable at only $150 for ceramic coating 75 linear inches of 1.5" tube header.

Not sure what you think your time is worth, but Time, materials, equipment required, prep of part, application and cure... ..$150 for that job is a good price.

I do agree that Polydyne is 1st class . I dont think I was bashing them , unless I come across the wrong way .They have done quite a bit of coatings for me , other than Cera exhaust . Some Carbs , Cases , and others .

But when I asked for a bulk price , they were not moving at all .

So 150.00 for 1 or 1500.00 for 10 . I would think a discount is inline IMO.

And , I do know for a fact good things aren't cheap , and Cheap things aren't good .

But If I can get 10 pipes done for 100-125 range for close to the same quality , why not ????

Seems like a pretty significant savings in my wallet .

I agree on the theory and fully expect the lifespan of the silencer packing to be shortened. I am not looking for HP gain at all. My gosh, if I can't get what I need from a 570 :eek2: then I must be a wicked good rider! :rofl:

In reality, just trying to move the heat away from the motor and gas tank so it will stop boiling the gas and I think this will be the ticket. Should get the pipes back today or tomorrow....

It will still boil if the conditions warrant. My header is ceramic coated by Jet Hot out of OKC. It may be a little cooler, but eventually heat soak takes over. I don't worry about it. Bike runs fine boiling fuel or not.

It will still boil if the conditions warrant. My header is ceramic coated by Jet Hot out of OKC. It may be a little cooler, but eventually heat soak takes over. I don't worry about it. Bike runs fine boiling fuel or not.
Wow old quote. Lol. Only thing to help this a heafty heatshield. Something like a silicone aluminum type.

So has anyone found a decent Cera coater other than Polydyne ?

Actually , a decent Cera coater thats reasonable for a good job .

I have 4 or 5 diff headpipes ready to send for coating but Poly.was / is on the expensive side for what your getting .

I know some of there other coatings are very good and reasonable for the job and finish they do .

I've heard there's a place in the New Braunfels area that does a good job and reasonable . I think .

I'll see if I can locate him and maybe a discount would be in order for a 1/2 dozen to a dozen qty. break .

Anyone be interested doing this depending on price/quality ?

His name is Rob Miller his Company is called Protexit he is on River road in Canyon City, another customer and really nice guy. My guess is that Rob and Craig at Cradin will be slightly less money than Carl at Polydyne as they have smaller operations to support. Quality I feel will be the same at all locations as the owners are hands on in each of the three companies

Your description of Polydyne did sound like a bit of a bash, if you factor in your shipping from Houston I doubt you will save any money

I do agree that Polydyne is 1st class . I dont think I was bashing them , unless I come across the wrong way .They have done quite a bit of coatings for me , other than Cera exhaust . Some Carbs , Cases , and others .

But when I asked for a bulk price , they were not moving at all .

So 150.00 for 1 or 1500.00 for 10 . I would think a discount is inline IMO.

And , I do know for a fact good things aren't cheap , and Cheap things aren't good .

But If I can get 10 pipes done for 100-125 range for close to the same quality , why not ????

Seems like a pretty significant savings in my wallet .

:giveup: Got ya... was not reading your post as a bash.. just confused at the comment on cost..as i thought the price was very fair..

But sure, bulk discount would seem worthwhile to seek.

I don't worry about it. Bike runs fine boiling fuel or not.

OH! You don't know the whole story, do you???

Electrified's Husaberg is the poster child for leaving him stranded in "the middle of NO Where! The boiling fuel is just an added diagnostic challenge. :doh:

Sam

p.s. Sorry Steve, I guess Johnf3 is the one TWTer that has not found you on the side of the road. :roll:

His name is Rob Miller his Company is called Protexit he is on River road in Canyon City, another customer and really nice guy. My guess is that Rob and Craig at Cradin will be slightly less money than Carl at Polydyne as they have smaller operations to support. Quality I feel will be the same at all locations as the owners are hands on in each of the three companies

Your description of Polydyne did sound like a bit of a bash, if you factor in your shipping from Houston I doubt you will save any money

Yea , after reading it again and putting the shoe on the other foot , I can see that it coulda come across differently than I wanted .

Since thats overwith now , You'll never see me post a bash or rant on here or any other forum , only the good , and only the truth of what I experienced myself , not he say she say .:deal:

ex .Myself and another fella on here were discussing a company that sold motorcycle parts and accessories . He didn't have anything to say positive about them at all , said he won't fool with them ever again.

I said wow, I've bought things on quite a few occasions and never had a single negative experience I could think of .

He Ranted his experience , I Praised mine , neither storys were , I HEARD THAT etc etc about so and so .

I will still use Polydyne on all kinds of coatings ,Exhaust included . I usually drop it off on a road trip to lunch , then pick it up on another .

BudZ , are you on a local fishing forum ????

I was pm-ing a fella that sold diff types of blasting media and coating materials , which his product IMO top shelf , I'll have to go thru them and find out the name of the company and product he was describing to me .
He was the fella that reccomended the place you mentioned .

:giveup: Got ya... was not reading your post as a bash.. just confused at the comment on cost..as i thought the price was very fair..

But sure, bulk discount would seem worthwhile to seek.

Agreed , price is very fair .
But a discount should be in line for sure , Set Up Time for 1 or 10 , thats my thinking , whenever I build or make or etc .

I always make extra since set-up time or jig making for the future significantly figures into cost of labor, tool changes ,etc etc .

Basically , other than materials , I could make 3 or more of whatever, for less than the price of 1 .

Yea it's easy to think something and go back and read it later and it sound read way different than you intend

No no fishing forum for me, I am in the blast media, industrial paint equipment industry have been for 20 years

The coating process is not really like a production run of parts as no two parts are exactly alike so end up getting different time cycles during blast and prep before coating so unless he is doing a run of brand new parts each part is different even if they are all say for example all the same XR pipe

Yea it's easy to think something and go back and read it later and it sound read way different than you intend

No no fishing forum for me, I am in the blast media, industrial paint equipment industry have been for 20 years

The coating process is not really like a production run of parts as no two parts are exactly alike so end up getting different time cycles during blast and prep before coating so unless he is doing a run of brand new parts each part is different even if they are all say for example all the same XR pipe

Yea ,
now that you mention things other than NEW . I Agree .

I'm gonna look up the brand and etc in my pm's on the fishing forum I'm on , and get your opinion on said materials / and companies doing the work . .

Also a few other things , most likely in a pm .

OH! You don't know the whole story, do you???

Electrified's Husaberg is the poster child for leaving him stranded in "the middle of NO Where! The boiling fuel is just an added diagnostic challenge. :doh:

Sam

p.s. Sorry Steve, I guess Johnf3 is the one TWTer that has not found you on the side of the road. :roll:

I'll have you know the Berg has been rock solid since I sorted it all out. :mrgreen:

I will say that the ceramic coating from Polydyne and a CV4 blanket eradicated my boiling fuel problem. :sun:

So as a update I have the following observation........ Quoted 8-10 day turnaround.
Item received by polydyn 6 May. I was told ship first and someone would call me upon receipt and discuss coating options,,, this was their plan to me, not, my request.

No call 48 hours after they had it in their hands so I called them...Confirmed with them they had the header... discussed coating options and reconfirmed anticipated turnaround time line..8-10 business days.

No word from them as of this morning.. 15 business days later.

Just called and told "Ryan" is not available to talk to me, "but gosh it should not take that long" "can I have him call you right back? it will just be a few minutes"

Waiting on a return phone call now that was promised in just a few minutes. .... been 30 so far..............

Wow! Can't believe your experience is so opposite of mine. Hope your end result is as good as mine when it is all said and done.

Wow! Can't believe your experience is so opposite of mine. Hope your end result is as good as mine when it is all said and done.

I'll allow them a chance to make it right.... things happen.. humans make mistakes......but that window is rapidly disappearing. Still no return call.
Its what a business does AFTER the mistake that really counts.

A satisfied customer will tell one person
A dissatisfied customer will tell 10
A customer who writes articles and moderates on one of the internet's largest motorcycle forum, works with and for motorcycle industry folks, has 10's of thousands of posts in dozens of internet forums with hundreds of thousands of readers will happily tell many more than ten of the outstanding service revived or not....with an articulate, complete and factual post describing just the facts and allow readers to come to their own conclusion.

No return phone call in 1:45 when told it would be just a few minutes.
Called back, spoke to the receptionist who was not aware I had not been called back....and then transferred to Ryan... Ryan had no idea I had called or was waiting on him to call back..or at least sounded that way.
After checking on my order, I was told it was not done, and might be done early next week.

I asked about the 8-14 days I was told for turnaround and he said they were behind.. // Oh REALLY..ya don't say....

I suggested it would have been nice if they had called the customer and told them they were not going to meet the quoted time line,, blowing it by at least a week... Was told, well they are working on it now and it'll be done by next week,,,, probable.

I should have had them send it back untouched,,,, as I really do not trust them at this point.. I do not believe they are working on it, I have no confidence in the people working there or their customer service. Why should I trust the job will be done any better then the failure in communication and service provided thus far????

If it is returned in the next week with quality work having been done... I'll leave it at just not recommending them.

Last edited:
Called again today to check on the status of my part
Ryan told me half of it was done but the other pipe started flaking so they're going to do it yet again very nice of him to want to get the job done right
Too bad it almost 2 weeks pass their quoted turnaround Not once have they ever called me to tell me what's going on I always have to hunt down Ryan.

And of course now another weekend without my bike
So no customer service
And apparently no ability to coat a part correctly the first time.

Not happy at all highly do not recommend this company
No confidence at all that the job will be done well or right

Wow. I was going to send then my head and piston.

Not anymore. Thanks for sharing

I'm amused by companies that get customer service so wrong these days. When you can get exactly what you order, every time, delivered in a couple hours from Amazon, how can any one think that dropping the ball this badly doesn't threaten their corporate existence? A wiser competitor will come along soon and eat them.

Yeah, my local Honda shop "lost" my flywheel puller. I'm now over 4 days behind where I would've been. I don't mind supporting local business, but when the best answer is, "yeah man, I thought I remembered getting that, I'm not sure what happened to it..." Is your best and only answer, well my retort will sound something like- "wow... That's the best you can do? After all the money I've spent in here, the best you can give me is an adult version of a half-assed shoulder shrug. Don't worry, I'll order online from now on, help put this sorry place out of business"

Hey, guess who has a nice coated header in his hands???/

No really guess, and then tell me.. I want to ask where they got it done,,as I certainly do not have mine from Polydyne yet...
32 days and counting ...not bad for a 8-14 day quoted turnaround....:brainsnap

But hey at least last week after calling again I was told they screwed up the coating and it was flaking off....so would need to be stripped and recoated,,, thats a good thing...right....RIGHT?

Last edited:
Being a process analyst... Poor quality is costly...

So I finally got a phone call .
Huh? What? No silly, not from Polydyn, my brother.. What made you think Polydyn would ever reach out to the customer or return a phone call when they promise to do so.

I called polydyn today at 3:30... for 15 min they could not find me or my parts as a customer (not likely,, but I digress)

Finally, After Ryan failed to pick up the phone, the secretary ( I guess that is what she is, she is the same one that answers every time I call) comes back a forth time as tells me they found my order, and the shipping department has given notice that my parts will ship tomorrow.

At this point I still have not been told how much this service is going to cost me, as the promised return call to discuss said stuff never is made.

I'm told for the privilege of being lied to, delayed, and having the job screwed up at least once and redone.. I will be charged $169 plus shipping.. And I will not be told how much shipping is until shipped tomorrow .. "Would I like to just leave my CC info with them so they can charge what ever that need to tomorrow? "

Umm, no Thanks

I'll just hold my breath waiting on the "shipping department" to call me in the morning.

PS, My brother is doing fine, new puppy is growing up and doing well and daughter is great.. Thanks for asking....lol

Surprise surprise surprise no phone call no shipment I mean it's not like they promised me they would or anything oh wait,,,, yes they did

Surprise surprise surprise no phone call no shipment I mean it's not like they promised me they would or anything oh wait,,,, yes they did

I'm glad I got mine while the gettin' was good. ?

Sorry for your bad experience.

Erik wish I had looked at this thread yesterday I would have stopped to see what was up in person. If you like I will call Carl Benton the owner and ask him what is going on. He runs a couple of businesses so he may not be aware of your situation.

Back