• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike not tracking right

Reaction score
I'm lost.

The forks have been flexing way more than usual and I have a vague feeling from the front end. Under braking the front wants to wag side to side. Bike isn't tracking right and is difficult to stay in straight line. Cornering is a frightful experience.

So, I pulled the front end apart.

Checked runout on rotors -pass
Checked front wheel runout -pass
Checked axle runout -pass
No leaking seals.
Pulled the forks and changed the fork oil.
Checked head bearings and tightened.
Reassembled and torqued to spec.

Still having a lot of flex and is still not tracking right.

What type of bike? Have you checked the frame and triple clamp for cracks?

How about front fork bushings , and swing arm bearings . Any slop in either one will make a big difference and not for the better . SEYA

How about front fork bushings , and swing arm bearings . Any slop in either one will make a big difference and not for the better . SEYA

I'll go ahead and order some bushings and replace seals. It'll give me something to do.

This will be a good excuse to lube/check the swingarm pivot.

If neither works, I'm going to be stumped.

Are you sure the front wheel bearings arent toast? They will make a bike wander to the point that steering is like herding cats. Get the front off the ground, grab the top of the tire and pull it to one of the forks. There should be no play. Same thing with the rear wheel and bearings. Lots of bikes have three bearings in the rear wheel. Two on the outside and one on the cushdrive.

you wouldn't be running on pirelli diablo strada tires would you?

I just put on strada's and the front end is whacky no feel and get behind a big truck and the buffeting gets the front end gyrating all over the place.

Are you sure the front wheel bearings arent toast? They will make a bike wander to the point that steering is like herding cats. Get the front off the ground, grab the top of the tire and pull it to one of the forks. There should be no play. Same thing with the rear wheel and bearings. Lots of bikes have three bearings in the rear wheel. Two on the outside and one on the cushdrive.

One of the first things I checked. They're good.

you wouldn't be running on pirelli diablo strada tires would you?

I just put on strada's and the front end is whacky no feel and get behind a big truck and the buffeting gets the front end gyrating all over the place.

Nope. I'm on the new Dunlop's. I really like 'em but they're tall.

I assume you've checked the tire pressure. Likely you have, but I have to ask.

I assume you've checked the tire pressure. Likely you have, but I have to ask.

LoL. yeah tire pressure is good. I tore everything down again this afternoon.

I've got something clunking around in the right fork leg. Ordering parts and just going to overhaul both sides. I'll update when I find out what it is.

Ah, I'd expect that clunking in the fork leg is a good sign that something is wrong there. :)

Ah, I'd expect that clunking in the fork leg is a good sign that something is wrong there. :)

Well. I overhauled the forks and now it feels great. I really did not see anything wrong, and nothing was out of place. So I probably just missed what was wrong.

Back