• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FZ1 or Bandit 1250 and why?

Reaction score
Like the title says: FZ1 or Bandit 1250 and why?

I'll be in the market for a sport touring bike probably this spring.
These two are on my short list. Any input?

fz1 i own one dont know about the bandit but i love this bike from power to riding is all good and there is a lot of aftermarket parts for it if you are into that i'm. the only problem with the fz is when you closed the throttle and opened back on jerks a little but this only happen in low rpms check this web site (fz1oa.com) lots of info on this bikes and good luck

i too have been looking at those bikes.
the gen 1 of the FZ1 you can get fairly cheaply used. although it is carb unlike the gen 2 it does have a better seat. the 1200 bandit has a bunch of farkels for it also and carb where as the 1250 is injected.

the issue that boils down that i have decided on an FZ1 (once i convince wife to let me have 2 bikes) is that the availability of the FZ1 in the market place.

Gen 2 for either of the bikes.
I already own a naked 2001 Bandit 1200, and am very familiar with the mechanicals on both the FZ1 and Bandit 1250, I just don't have a lot of seat time on either.

What I'm really looking for is some insight from owners that have put some miles on the bikes, likes and dislikes etc..

Here's some pics of my Bandit:

Bandit052.jpg

Bandit051.jpg

Bandit049.jpg

I've been commuting daily on my Gen 1 FZ1 and I love it. From what I've seen the real differences are this. FZ1, power up on top, Bandit, power down low (Though neither is really lacking in the other areas) Bandit - a little more comfy, FZ - more sporting chassis and weight.

Really though, you just need to ride them both and figure it out for yourself and see what you are looking for most in a bike. I had considered the bandit myself but for what I was looking for, the FZ was a perfect fit. I love this bike more and more with each passing mile.

I say since you already have a bandit, get the fizzer for variety :mrgreen:

I've been commuting daily on my Gen 1 FZ1 and I love it. From what I've seen the real differences are this. FZ1, power up on top, Bandit, power down low (Though neither is really lacking in the other areas) Bandit - a little more comfy, FZ - more sporting chassis and weight.

Really though, you just need to ride them both and figure it out for yourself and see what you are looking for most in a bike. I had considered the bandit myself but for what I was looking for, the FZ was a perfect fit. I love this bike more and more with each passing mile.

I owned a Gen 2 FZ1 and now own a Bandit 12 like you have, Patrick.

This assessment here is pretty darn spot on. I have ridden the B12.5 for a short ride. The B12.5 is more comfy, more touring, less sport. The FZ1 is more toward the sport side. So, I guess it comes down to what you want to use the bike for. Do you want something that is more on the sporty side, or more on the touring side? Both are a compormise, one just leans more to one side than the other. My Gen2 FZ1 was very weak down low. No real power until about 6K rpm or greater. The bandit is linear on its power band and builds a lot of power down low, but peaks much sooner and lower than the FZ1.

Ride both. With your business, I am sure you can find two customers that own each bike and would let you take them for a test ride. Then decide based on that.

I owned a Gen 2 FZ1 and now own a Bandit 12 like you have, Patrick.

This assessment here is pretty darn spot on. I have ridden the B12.5 for a short ride. The B12.5 is more comfy, more touring, less sport. The FZ1 is more toward the sport side. So, I guess it comes down to what you want to use the bike for. Do you want something that is more on the sporty side, or more on the touring side? Both are a compormise, one just leans more to one side than the other. My Gen2 FZ1 was very weak down low. No real power until about 6K rpm or greater. The bandit is linear on its power band and builds a lot of power down low, but peaks much sooner and lower than the FZ1.

Ride both. With your business, I am sure you can find two customers that own each bike and would let you take them for a test ride. Then decide based on that.

To add, the Gen 1 FZ has more power down low than the Gen 2, but not nearly as much as the Bandit.

This may be a non-issue: being a smaller guy (5'6",175, 29" inseam) I find the Bandit to feel HUGE, where as the FZ is big, but far more manageable for someone my size. I lowered the FZ to fit, but the weight felt lower and the tank felt smaller.

Here is the thread from someone who posed the same type of question. As someone who as owned both, I currently have the FZ1, and find it to be a better "bandit" for more spirited riding. I seriously doubt you would be displeased with either bike, but I sure prefer the level of confidence the FZ1 and my riding style allows. Ultimately, I got the FZ1 after attending Lee Park's Total Control class, and decided a track day experience would be the next logical step.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43009

I had the 07 Bandit and my son still has an 01 FZ1, The Bandit is more comfortable for longer ride's with a quicker throttle response, The 01 FZ1 feel's more old school in the motor department with the carbs, sort of a quadrajet sound and feel, your knee's are hiked up a little higher on the FZ which I didnt care for but I like the look of the FZ better, It's just Badder looking than the 1250s, Between the 1st gen. FZ and the B1200, No contest, It would be Tuning fork all the way, The B1200 just feel's too heavy and boat like, The 1250 was a big improvement, sorry 1200 owners, they are still great bike's, just my opinion. SZ.

My wife has a gen I and loves it, very light. The gen II looks a little like a mini fjr when set up for touring.
2007_Intermot_FZ1S_touring_.jpg

I own a 2005 FZ1, and love it. However, lately I have been considering a Bandit because ABS brakes are available on Bandits and not on FZ1. If it were not for ABS availability, I like the FZ1 best.

wow, nice thread resurrection!

BTW, my FZ1 was an oil guzzling ticket machine...now its gone.

Loved my first gen fz1. Hated the second gen. Seat was hard as a rock and i felt too big for it. I would buy anotherfirst gen in a heartbeat. It was a great all around bike.

Maintenance is another aspect to consider.

1. FZ1 valve inspections are 26,600 miles apart.

2. I don't have to remove the tank if I want to access anything under it. It hinges at the rear, so I just prop it up.

3. Since removing the AIR valve and plumbing, I can change out spark plugs without removing anything. I don't even have to prop up the tank. I can just reach in from the side with the hinged spark removal socket.

If they would just put ABS brakes on the FZ1, it would be all the bike I would ever want.

Curious to know what your decision was! Good looking Bandit you have.
Both of these bikes were on my short list. Because of a bad knee ( bike accidents ) I own 07 1250 with a few mods( ;-) )from Dale at Holeshot. All the power I could ever use on the street. Suspension upgrades made the Bandit a twisties carver extraordinaire.
My choice for a second bike was a 2014 Concours ( had to buy my wife a new Van though, small compromise :giveup: ).

fz1 i own one dont know about the bandit but i love this bike from power to riding is all good and there is a lot of aftermarket parts for it if you are into that i'm. the only problem with the fz is when you closed the throttle and opened back on jerks a little but this only happen in low rpms check this web site (fz1oa.com) lots of info on this bikes and good luck

Easily fixed with Ivans performance ECU reflash...mine throttles perfectly now and also gained about 20 to 25 hp...the bike is completely transformed after the reflash...picked up a bunch of low end power also...

Patrick your more than welcome to come test ride mine if you like...awesome bike...great handling and very comfortable...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 828
FZ-1.. Gen 1 or gen 2? :-)

For sport-touring and general use, the first generation FZ1 is much better than 2006 and newer models due to ergonomics. The throttle response is very smooth....lots of aftermarket accessories and very reliable.

RB

... the only problem with the fz is when you closed the throttle and opened back on jerks a little but this only happen in low rpms check this web site (fz1oa.com) lots of info on this bikes and good luck

That's a Gen 2 problem. Gen 1 is as smooth as you are, plus more comfortable seat.

(Thread resurrection a second time even!)

PS: I now have a 2007 Bandit...after owning the 1st gen FZ1 and the Bandit, these are my thoughts:

The FZ1 was sooo much fun. Power was ridiculous and did I mention FUN! Mine was a maintenance hog and ate oil at an alarming rate from 10k-40k. Like, a quart or more between changes. I finally did valve seals and a bunch of other stuff, but it needed rings. Its handling was solid and was better than I was a rider. Back tires didnt last very long :D The gauges were great, but the wind was more tiring (even with a ZG Double Bubble)

The Bandito is sooooo much smoother. It is a mile-gobbling bastich. I hve the stock windscreen and its more comfortable, and despite being bigger, it makes me more confident in the twisties. THe FZ1 would allow me to get in over my head, the Bandit doesn't for some reason. The FZ was easier to work on, but seemed to need it more than the Bandit IME. Regular maintenance like valves, air filters, plugs, etc were WAY easier on the FZ with its flip-top-tank (Brilliant idea, IMO). However, I smile far more with the Bandit, even though it is somewhat lower performance. Its a GT where the FZ was more of a sports car. The seat is hard to install than the FZ, and there was more storage.

Oh, and the Bandit gets better MPGs because I don't ride it like a hooligan like the FZ coerced me to do daily.

Back