• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What's up with WhatsApp?

Reaction score
[edit - Tourmeister]These posts were removed from the MexTrek 8 thread so as not to clutter the ride report and so the discussion could continue here if desired.]

Shame that WhatsApp sux the oxygen out of this thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Mextrek #8 Ride Report - The Rematch - Oct 2018

Prior post no longer relevant.

Last edited:

Bummer there's nary any chatter. So the travelers are using Whatsapp and there's no activity on twt for a twt activity?

Prior post no longer relevant.

Last edited:

Agree. Mebbe the upgrade Tourmeister is preparing to switch TWT over to will help in the future.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118787
Thanks, Gina. I hadn't seen that news from Scott. Glad to hear there's an upgrade coming.

Two ride photos and more posts about the lack of ride reporting here in the "ride report" thread.. big difference from past years and now there will be little to reference back to. Thanks for letting us know why.

Thanks G. I hadn't noticed the upgrade thread. Great news!

I'd been wondering how that many folks could go on such a really cool ride and have so few posts about it afterward. ("International incident" and nobody wants to talk about it?) Nah, I know a bunch of the folks who went and they wouldn't allow any ride to crater. They'd move on and make it work.

Y'all already know - ride reports take some energy. It's a convoluted process that still leans heavily on playing with the keyboard more than a lot of folks want to get into. Especially with phones - and that's the de facto device de jour. I've tried it and found it way too much hassle. Heck, just the mechanics of stopping (a lot) to get pictures along any good ride is so not what we want to do at the time.

Thing is, that's sort of what makes a forum work. Sure, we can text back and forth with each other about the best oil and tire sealant but riding along with a group on their adventure via ride reports is what makes me want to saddle up and go put some wind in my face, see some new country, try to make it past whatever obstacles they ran up against. Sure hope newer phone friendly software will make posting reports more accessible. Now if Scott could just come up with a good way for me to take pictures without even slowing down... :)

RG you just wrote a lot about how writing isn't done that much anymore.

But I get your point. I also have a hard time stopping during a ride just to take a picture. I want to enjoy the ride in the moment. It sure is nice later to look at the pictures and be reminded of all those great (and some difficult) moments.

Hey we found a use for this thread.

:clap:
RG you just wrote a lot about how writing isn't done that much anymore.

But I get your point. I also have a hard time stopping during a ride just to take a picture. I want to enjoy the ride in the moment. It sure is nice later to look at the pictures and be reminded of all those great (and some difficult) moments.

Hey we found a use for this thread.

Yup I hear you guys and empathize. However, eventhough I couldn't go on this ride, I'm lucky to be subscribed into their WhatsApp ride group and it's got lots and lots of pics and vids and messaging. So I'm lucky to follow day by day, mishap by mishap. And I agree that its just way easier to post on WhatsApp. Way easier, did I say that already ? And it works while on the ride sometimes up in the mountains, it's crazy fun to follow. And all the pictures and vids get uploaded to your phone automatically. Also its private which is great for security purposes while traveling. Sorry, however all riders have been instructed to contribute to twt eventually which will probably happen once they back home.

Last edited:

Thanks for the photo, BrotherWolf, and the note, kayakkawakid. You make good points about ease of use and security during the trip. I hope it really doesn't completely kill the RRs here. I'll stop clogging the thread in case that happens. Cheers

So if I already have Whatsapp can I subscribe now and scroll back through all the postings?

Prior comments have been removed. They were never meant to be negative, just trying to understand.

Last edited:

Apparently I signed up on the Whatsupp app as soon as Peter listed it a while back and then forgot all about it.

I blame it on having my last 5x birthday last Saturday.

As you where........

Is using WhatsApp becoming a thing for more TWT/TARA rides or was this unique to Peter / MexTrek rides?

Is using WhatsApp becoming a thing for more TWT/TARA rides or was this unique to Peter / MexTrek rides?

Looking at Peter’s post it is for logistics during the ride. I have never heard of it, but I’ve done some reading and seems good for communicating where service may be limited.

...I’ve done some reading and seems good for communicating where service may be limited.

Not sure why that would be. It requires cell phone data service or wifi to send/receive. I get text message/phone service in areas of MX where there is no data service.

I've been using WhatsApp for a few years now and it's my preferred messaging app and I use quite a few. Voxer, Line, Messenger and Viber. Serms every country has their own most popular app. So when in Rome...

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I wonder if there is a way to use it to automate the process of uploading images to a forum... :ponder:

I wonder if there is a way to use it to automate the process of uploading images to a forum... :ponder:
Yes that would be nice. To integrate a WhatsApp thread to a forum thread, even if it is unidirectional (that would be a start). But Silver Bullet says WhatsApp only works online, so I'm still baffled.

A lot of systems let you email posts into a wiki/blog, and maybe XenForo allows this too? This would let you write posts and add pictures while offline and your device would upload reliably to the forum when a connection is established.

Edit: I spent a few minutes googling for this feature in XenForo and from what I saw, it's not supported. It's a requested feature (or was in 2012-1014).

Last edited:
Whatsapp may be a good option for ongoing communications during a ride, but it is a disaster for pre-ride communications. Please stop using Whatsapp for prep, that's what the ride announcement thread is for.

Last edited:
I second JT and add that questions and discussions here, on TWT are what generates interest, short and long term.(the immediate ride/event but also for those thinking "maybe next year I could that."

Discussions within a closed group is akin to an echo chamber.

Back