• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anyone rent out dual sport motorcycles?

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Schaefer
Hey everyone. I’ve got 3 dual sport motorcycles and 1 crf 85. They sit around in my garage, I wrench on them, ride them some, etc. I’m not ready to sell them, but they should get more action. Also, they aren’t my babies. They’re dual sports built to ride and sustain the usual bumps, diggers and scrapes.

My question is, does anyone ever rent out their extra dual sport bikes? You know how it is, you go on a trip somewhere, would be cool to have a motorcycle, but you’re not gonna go rent a Harley or a brand spanking new tricked out Beamer. But if someone had an old XR or WR or KLR at a reasonable daily price, you’d definitely do that.

I’m not looking at this as a great money making business, more like a way to contribute to the dual sport community in Central Texas.

Opinions?

Seems like the liability would be high on that deal. Might want to form an LLC.

Seems like the liability would be high on that deal. Might want to form an LLC.

This.

Loaning someone a bike is one thing. Even a one off informal "rental" might not be a big deal. As soon as you start doing on a repetitive basis, acting like a business in effect, things will change and you open yourself up to liability that could easily FAR exceed any money you might make renting out your bikes.

LtDan out of Townsend TN. rents out motorcycles. His company is GSM Motorent. For a few years his family was wintering in Big Bend, but that ended a couple of years ago. He is a great guy and can talk with you about the ups and downs of renting out bikes.

https://gsmmotorent.com is his web address.

I'd be a good target market for something like this. I ride off-road exclusively. I'd love to own a DS or Adventure bike, but my wife's younger brother recently had a terrible accident on a street bike. He ended up in a coma for a few days (he's all better now). But it really put the entire family through some rough times. Thus, at the moment, I can't spend the 'relational capital' to try and purchase & own a road going bike. But Id have no problem "renting" one for a day or so and joining some friends on some rides.

*subscribed*

Thanks,
CJB

LtDan out of Townsend TN. rents out motorcycles. His company is GSM Motorent. For a few years his family was wintering in Big Bend, but that ended a couple of years ago. He is a great guy and can talk with you about the ups and downs of renting out bikes.

https://gsmmotorent.com is his web address.

He is also a long time member here on TWT even though he doesn't post much.

@UncleBuck- DAMNIT! someone stole my $million dollar idea!

I had thought about this in the past, but knew I'd never do it. I actually googled it and did a little research, but came up empty. This is the answer to what I was talking about.

As far as the liability... while I hate that kind of thing, you guys are right. I wasn't really thinking of this as a money making proposition, more like a hobby that wouldn't cost me money.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm gonna check out https://www.riders-share.com/.

Back