• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tents

kenray

Reaction score
Time for a new tent. Mine sprung some leaks this weekend while camping. Any recommendations? Need something that I can carry on my KLR. Price is not as important as set-up ease and something that can deal with a heavier rain event. 2-3 people size is all I need. I've had smaller survival type tents but like having room to store gear. I know a bunch of y'all camp on a regular basis. Thanks for any info. Kenray in Katy .

After I retired my excellent 20 year old Moss Tent I tried several brands and styles. My main requirement is that it has only two poles and it is simple and quick to put up. I don't want to ride all day and then have to figure out how to put up the tent. Last year I got a REI Passage-2 and I really like it. Two poles, and very quick & easy setup. If you need more room, there is also a Passage-3.
Here is the link to the Passage-2 at REI.

https://www.rei.com/product/110837/rei-co-op-passage-2-tent

I have a Kelty Grand Mesa that I love. It has been in high wind, hard rains, as well as cold temps and passed all the test with flying colors. It is small enough to fit in the top case with a air mattress and sleeping bag and a change of clothes. It was a fathers day present and it is easy to put up and take down. If I remember it came from Back country but they did sell them at Academy also for $5 dollars more.
https://www.backcountry.com/kelty-grand-mesa-2-tent-2-person-3-season If you shop around you can find it cheaper I bet. When they bought mine two or three years ago it was $100 I understand. The new one has a different stuff sack than mine. New one is square while older ones a cylindrical.

Last edited:
the Eureka Timberline 4 is a simple A-frame tent

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/backpacking/timberline®-4-person-tent

that offers an optional vestibule for outside storage of muddy/wet items

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/accessories/vestibules/vestibule-timberline®-4?id=190

it would be on the larger side of the OP design brief butt it will stand well in stormage and provide ample room inside for you and dry gear and maybe even one of those super compact cots

the fly goes way down close to ground at a steep angle for shedding rain

the front door and large rear window provide good flow thru ventilation

i had a friend who used one regularly whose erection skills were challenged and he managed easily each evening

sw n Chili

I have this Big Agnes Frying Pan for when it is 2-3 people. I like this tent since it has 2 doors and 2 vestibules. This allows each person to enter and exit without disturbing the other, it also allows each person to have their gear under the vestibule on their side. The other thing I look at is packed size, I pay attention to width more than diameter. This tent is only 18 inches long allowing me to pack it easy on any motorcycle.

https://www.rei.com/product/127022/big-agnes-frying-pan-sl3-tent-with-footprint

There are lots of great tents out there and some deals to be had if you search around.

"There are lots of great tents out there and some deals to be had if you search around. "
I have a Kelty Dome4 that was an REI garage sale item- $18 less $12 member credit=$6. It had 2 broken pole sections. I e-mailed Kelty, asked for 4 spare sections. They sent them free and I re-strung the poles in 10 minutes.
It sets up so fast! Ask Scott Strance.

A) I absolutely love my Redverz Tenere tent. 7 1/2 minutes to set up and take down. Has a garage for the motorcycle and able to stand up inside! B) I stay away from anything REI. They hate motorized off highway vehicles and spend a lot of money to close trails to motorized vehicles.

Off my soap box. The Tenere has room for two + gear in the sleep area. I like the garage when it has been raining. Get the tent set up, Wheel the bike in, and unpack or dig through panniers out of the rain. Then hang gear off the bike to dry. Sleeping area is a tent within a tent. Garage has no floor.

Just came back from a camping trip this weekend in Oklahoma and used a Coleman Hooligan 2. Had 2 hours of good rain and I was dry. There's enough room for two people and three in a pinch.

It's marketed as a backpacking tent but realistically too heavy to for a person to lug around. Perfect strapped to the passenger seat of my FJR. I was able to set it up in about 10 minutes and packing up into the bag was just as simple. Mine was on sale on Amazon for around $40.

Last edited:
Asking for suggestions for this is almost like a oil question. IMO....ask yourself how much room you need.....do you want to stand up instead of dressing on your knees or laying down.....how many entries do you want.....and how much do you want to spend.

Tent Grammar

Tents you are going to set up at an upcoming event are called Future Tents

Tents that have been used at an event and that are put away are called Past Tents

Tents you are setting up right now: Present Tents

Tents that are not thick enough to keep the circling bears out are called tense tents.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Found a small cantina
Down on Monterrey way
I met up with a girl down there
But she did not speak-a the English
I probably coulda had her too
But all I knew how to say was

Uno mas cervesa, por favor, senorita...

And now back to your regularly scheduled discussion about tents...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back