• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Unusal problem with a new jacket

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Ever have a riding jacket that sucks, literally? I do. :shrug: I just bought this jacket, the Pilot Trans Urban Touring Jacket.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...4jRAhUD6WMKHe8BBQsQMwgcKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...4jRAhUD6WMKHe8BBQsQMwgcKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

And other than this one part time issue with it, I think it will be a great jacket.

The problem occurred when I had the liner removed for warmer temps. The front vents were open (over the shoulder and biceps) along with the single rear exhaust vent. The rear vent runs horizontally from about shoulder blade to shoulder blade and is hidden from view under a flap.

I was riding my Super Tenere which provides wind protection somewhere in the middle of the scale between a Gold Wing and a naked bike. Whenever I stood up on the pegs exposing some of my upper half to the wind, the jacket sucked down around my torso as if I was in some food vacuum sealer from my waist to my neck.

I’ve experienced this once before with a waist length Tourmaster textile jacket. The common denominator between the two jackets was the horizontal vent across the back near the shoulder blades. I gave the jacket away to a co-worker that rides and he said it never sucked down on him.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced something like this and if they found a solution? I’ve never heard of anyone with this complaint before.

With the liner in, the jacket has room for a layer or two of clothing inside and is quite roomy on me with the liner removed, wearing a single layer.
The jacket seems to be well built and really well thought out. I’d seen the brand, Pilot before on the leathers of test riders in some of the motorcycle magazines and believed they make a quality product.

The price was just over $200 and checking the coupon box on Amazon it ended up being under $190 shipped if I remember correctly. A heck of a lot of jacket for the money! So any ideas?

Amazon link. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJMOE8C/?tag=twowhetex-20

Sounds like a low pressure area is created somehow between the front shielding/top of the tank/torso allowing for the jacket to do that. If you zip the shoulder blade to blade vent closed does it do the same thing?

I don't know Scott I hadn't tried that yet. That will be the first thing I try next time I'm wearing it in similar temps. I'm not sure how much if any air is escaping out the vent with the flap over it. There's no way that I see to secure the flap out of the way (the Tourmaster jacket didn't have any flap/covering btw).

I did have the main zipper open somewhat trying to get more air into the jacket. I would think that if anything the jacket ought to inflate from the air entering it instead of the opposite effect.

I only used the jacket on Sunday and the temps dropped 34 degrees in the 40 minutes it took to ride home.

So weird- I have a black Tourmaster Karaza (that I am selling), that does the same thing. I never have really liked it, and wanted something something longer, more of an ADV jacket. A few weeks ago a friend witnessed a car pull out in front of a rider in San Marcos and kill him. After hearing the story, my wife insisted I get a hi-viz jacket, so I bought a Pilot Trans Urban, and it does the same thing too. It does it less than the Tourmaster, and I do like the jacket a lot.

Back