• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Getting back in the saddle in Grandview

Vikti

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm starting to get back into riding again after a 10 year break. I got myself an 83 Honda 650 Nighthawk mainly for getting myself to work and back but now it's calling to me to be taken elsewhere.

Also, I've been told by another biker while gassing up the other day that during heavy traffic, as in on I-35w between Ft. Worth and Denton can get, that for those people on air cooled bikes that it's ok to slowly ride (more than 20 mph) on the shoulders without getting in trouble so you can keep the engine from overheating. Is that right? Even though it makes sense, I've never heard of anyone able to do that without getting in trouble. What have you all heard about that?

Take care everyone.

Damon in Grandview

Vikti:

I have never heard of anything like that. As far as I know its still white lining and its still a punishable offense. I think if you got pulled over by a motorcycle cop or a cop that rides, they might understand. But as far as I know you can still get a ticket. If that is not the case than that would be good news. I'll keep my ears open for you.

Grady

Welcome, Damon -

I was out of riding for a long time too and coincidentally, I returned to riding with a '79 CB650, the predecessor to your Nighthawk. It's gone now, but it did its job.

As far as riding slowly on the shoulders, I don't know if the police would look the other way or not. Personally, I'd be more concerned about annoying somebody in a pickup truck and possibly getting an ugly response from them. I did my time on a few air cooled bikes - maybe I was just dumb & lucky, but I never had heat problems.

Back