• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pilot New to Riding

Reaction score
Hello All,

My name is Jason Brewer and I'm new to motorcycling. I am a missionary with the Wycliffe Bible Translators organization. My family and I are heading to the country of Papua New Guinea (PNG) in January where I will serve as an aircraft pilot and mechanic to take Bible translators to some very remote and inaccessible places.

I will be riding a motorcycle there for my daily transportation to and from work so I am working on getting some training and my motorcycle license. I am looking for a good Suzuki DR650 to ride here for a few months and then ship to PNG. Any leads ona good bike or tips for a newbie rider would be great. Thanks!

Welcome Jason. When you get to PNG, look for a chopper pilot by the name of Mark, goes by Rescue13 (used to be an EMS pilot) on the moto forums. Tell him Texas T from Chandler said hello. (small world, eh?) ;-)

I am looking for a good Suzuki DR650 to ride here for a few months and then ship to PNG. Any leads ona good bike or tips for a newbie rider would be great. Thanks!

Flying and motorcycling seem to go well together. They are both sort of about being off vertical which is not how most folks go about their daily lives.

I have a DR650 I've been planning to sell but had not decided whether I wanted to sell before or after I go to Colorado in September.

As I've mentioned before it has been dropped in the driveway once...
IMG2969-L.jpg

Seriously, it's been a great bike and I would ride it anywhere and recommend it to a wide range of riders. It's nicely equipped and modified. It has been ridden as it was intended but also well maintained and cared for. If you are interested let me know and we can talk some more...
625849784_sSWjF-L.jpg

Nice intro. That'll be some great flying and riding. Pilot here too, but my flying doesn't sound nearly as interesting as what you'll be doing.

We'll look forward to hearing about some of your adventures on here. Sure there will be many.

You're gonna love riding. Based on my extremely limited experience riding in small aircraft, I think of motorcycling as 2-dimensional flying.

Tips? There are all kinds of tips for very specific situations. But the general rules of motorcycle survival and safety are probably already well known to you as a pilot. Know your strengths, practice your weaknesses, stay within your limitations, don't ever let yourself get surprised, and check/double-check/triple-check everything that counts.

Sounds like a very interesting ministry. Personally, I'd like to hear more.

Welcome. I don't have any leads, but you'll love riding.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

:tab Tips...? You go where you look, so look where you want to go, and not at what you want to miss ;-)

:tab The DR will be a great bike. It's easy to maintain and rugged. If you have time, I would recommend getting your license and then start riding on dirt as much as you can. You might want to order these DVDs and watch them over and over...

http://dualsportriding.com/

:tab Then practice the techniques shown. If you can do that, you should be about as prepared as you can get in such a short time.

:tab If you are going to be riding on rough roads and/or potentially steep roads, you might consider taking a smaller front sprocket with you so you can gear the bike down a bit. I think the stock is 15 teeth, so you'd want a 14. Changing them out is easy and you can use the same chain.

:tab If you are going to be carrying passengers or lots of luggage on the bike, you might want to upgrade the spring on the rear shock to a heavier spring. It will make a big difference in how the bike will handle (for the better). Race Tech springs in the front forks will help as well. Lastly, you might even want to consider stainless steel braided brake lines for improved braking, at least for the front brake.

:tab Most importantly, if you have internet access at all, stay in touch with us here on TWT. A few years back another member went to a remote island in the Philippines and we were able to help him out with stuff while he was there. There are some amazingly generous folks here and also a massive amount of knowledge and experience about the DRs. And of course we'd all just like to hear about your adventures as well ;-)

WHAT SCOTT SAID!

there is some really good riding, just over the river, in the KIAMICHI MTNS of SW OKLA

goto the forest heritage center(maybe not by that particular name) at BEAVER'S BEND STATE PK, just north of BROKEN BOW

pick up a forest map and take off on the logging roads, W/ A FRIEND

the riding conditions, up there, can help you a lot, w/ dirt & grade changes

just 1 old man's 2¢ worth

shiny side up

Hey Jason I met you the other day when you came and looked at my bike in Anna Tx. Welcome to the forum. These guys are great here.

Hey Jason I met you the other day when you came and looked at my bike in Anna Tx. Welcome to the forum. These guys are great here.

Thanks for the welcome. I decided to go with a DR650 instead of the Honda. Thank you for taking time to let me see your bike the other day.

No problem. Glad to hear you found a deal. The dr is a great machine. When you get ready for some riding let me know.

Back