• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Member in Dallas (Uptown)

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Hi all!

New to the board but really glad to find it. I've been looking for people who are more into long (or short) rides but always find myself stuck in the middle between cruisers or superbikes. While I consider my VFR a superbike (super because I love that she's a jack of all trades, master of none) it's hard to find (safe) riders who have a good pace and are into longer rides. I've done trips to Mena and Three Sisters but I'm always interested in longer runs. Thinking of one this weekend as the gf is out on biz starting thrusday.

Anyway, just a quick hello. Pic of the bike is older but other than a new exhaust not much has changed.

Thanks!

227927_1831545220819_5917141_n.jpg

Welcome, once I feel confident enough to go out with other riders, my buddy and I will be doing some breakfast (summer)/BBQ (fall) trips on the weekends. It'll be 50-100 miles one way and we'll stop, enjoy some country and then head back. Pretty much exactly what the pie run is. :P

Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. A nice run, preferably with another rider or 14, some good companionship and conversation at a nice little joint for lunch (or pie!), and then home. What an awesome way to spend a day.

Doh! Welcome!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! The pie run looks like a lot of fun but I'm going to have to pass on this one. Not trying to be rude but I won't have a full three days (possibly Thursday night too) free for a while and I plan on taking full advantage of it on a multi-day ride. Just a question of direction right now. Santa Fe or Colorado has always been on my mind but still thinking about it. Looking forward to meeting everyone really soon. Seems like a very active group which is great.

@ El Fenix - let's deninately go for a ride soon. Not too many people down in our area. For easy morning rides I usually go S on 45 out to Ferris and take the 660 loop. Not as far as the 455 and less traffic but always open for new areas. :rider:

Enjoy your trip. Santa Fe or Colorado - either way, you can't go wrong.

I'm curious about your handle. What do you do for a living?

Well, I can tell you the "System Error" name has nothing to do with the IT industry or anything computer related. I actually work in finance. No, it's just an acknolwedgement of being wired a bit different than the average Joe. Not too many metalhead bankers who would rather drive a Fiat 500 Abarth over a supercharged Jag, or consider jumping on a plane "just to collect the miles", or god forbid ride a motorcycle in Texas. Personally, all of the above seems perfectly logical to me. :mrgreen:

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Being an old mainframer, I've sometimes regretted that my handle isn't BR14. Which is what I did at retirement. Somebody out there will understand that.

Welcome, I see the Duc in the back. It is always nice to have a lil' monster in the garage. :mrgreen:

Nope, sorry tshelfer, I wish I was smart enough to do stuff like that. I'm just a muni bond guy.

Sharky - that was the gf's duc. We both had 695's for a bit. Loved that bike but we got rid of them about a year ago for bikes that could do longer range. I miss it but I don't miss the maintenace costs.

So after some discussion with a good riding buddy I think I'll be heading to the Alamogordo / Ruidoso NM area this weekend. I want to ride the Lincoln National Forest area. Anyone have a hotel or special area recommendation?

Thanks!

Welcome from Carrollton.

Been to Alamogordo but haven't ridden there. That should be a great ride.

I am looking for pretty much the same type of ride you are talking about. I feel the same way about my S3 as you do about the VFR. Great bike that can do so many things well. Let me know when you're going on one of these loops out down 45 and I'll come join you.

System- I live in Lake Highlands and always up for a good ride. Most of my riding buddies live in Ft Worth or Austin...so let me know when and I'm usually good. Sounds like you ride at my pace.

System- I live in Lake Highlands and always up for a good ride. Most of my riding buddies live in Ft Worth or Austin...so let me know when and I'm usually good. Sounds like you ride at my pace.

MPS, I'm right around the corner near White Rock Lake. Lets meet up and ride also.

As soon as I get another weekend free I'll post up a 660 loop ride for sure. Good route, tight corners, not much run off (meaning none) on some corners but it's a fun way to burn through a morning.

Having the fluids changed tomorrow then heading out Thrusday night to at least Synder. I was told to do the loop around Cloudcroft and Sunspot, NM. The way my friend talked about it I'm expecting an epic time. Not opposed to any company on this trip but I know it's very short notice for such a long ride, especially with someone you've never ridden with.

If any of you get curious about the 660 loop before I can put together a ride here are the directions:

45 S to Ferris. Exit FM660 (go left at the pizza hut and under the 45). Run the 660 (When you see the "BUMP" sign SLOW DOWN over the hill) to the 813 (just stay to the right) and you'll end up at the 45 again. Slow down through Palmer (cops), take a right on the 813 (just before the school track). They just repaved 813 so it doesn't have lines just the center divider tabs but the road is very good now. Stay right onto 983 (careful at the switch, rough part of road and double yield). Take 983 back to Ferris. Take a right at the stop sign to head into town and then a left after you go over the train tracks to get to a gas station for a quick break. Then simply reverse the route and do it again, but faster this time. :rider:

Well, if there was any doubt of making that run your prior post pretty much put those to rest. Very excited for this ride. I'll be sure to say hi to you cop buddy. I have a feeling we might meet. ;-)

Just a quick update. I'm in Cloudcroft right now and I've been riding around for the last two day. This place has some fantastic roads! No pictures as I'm not a photo buff but this has been totally worth the long ride from Dallas, the wind and the rain. Full report when I get home Sunday.

Back