• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I'd use the phone. When we were in Guatemala we used our iPhones, one using Google Maps and me using maps.me

RAM X Mount is a good thing

So long as you have cell signal or have maps downloaded, the phone will work.
Also one less thing to worry about not carrying around a GPS.

Personally in cars, I use a dedicated GPS (mainly because I bought it before phone GPS was out and I have free map updates).

The only issue that I have had using my phone has been weather. Rain, a case or a weather proof phone does that quickly. The heat however seems to be my downfall. For my 7 plus, over 95 degrees at a stop or in traffic and it wants to overheat.
I went to the phone after several garmin products and the customer support and slow map updates and and and.....well I will never purchase a garmin again.

I'm on my last Garmin. Can't hold enough maps to cover the country without SD cards, slow to update, illogical mapping functions, small screen and resulting level of detail , yada yada yada.

I need to find a real good pre-mapping / rerouting, point to point software for my I-Phone and then just go with that.

My Zumo 550 doesn't completely suck, but I'm just fed up with the difficulty of pre-routing routes to follow with the capability of tweaking on the fly. Which is essentially why I bought it in the first place.

YMMV

Dave.

I'm planning a trip this week and have my GPX file all mapped out on my computer for the route I want to use. My question is, should I find an app that I can use to upload the GPX file to on my Galaxy Note 5 and use that as my GPS? Or buy an additional GPS like a Garmin Zumo?

I use either Google with offline maps or OsmAnd+ on my Samsung 7. One is a backup for the other. Google Maps doesn't allow uploading a gpx file created with Garmin BaseCamp, but it's easy enough to create URL routes and then use the URL with Google Maps. OsmAnd+ allows loading of GPX files and it works really well.

I already have a Battery Tender USB thingy that I can plug my Note 5 into and already have a RAM X Mount on the handlebars that the Note 5 sits in, I just haven't used it for directions much so far.

GPS uses up a lot of power. Ideally you'd have a fast charger connected to the bike, otherwise you may deploy the battery faster than you're recharging it. My solution is to use a cable and a charger that allows me to do fast charging on the motorcycle:

Last edited:
Jarrett, I use Google Maps on the computer to create a route by linking points. This is only for one-day routes, as Google Maps only take a small number of waypoints. This generates a URL and you can simply navigate this URL or use gpsvisualizer.com to convert it to a GPX file. Here is a URL for my upcoming trip to New Mexico - I created it directly on Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Tru...2!1d-108.7578411!2d33.7131104!2m2!1b1!2b1!3e0

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 145
Me? I use a dedicated GPS. Weather proof and ruggedized for the ride. When I need my phone, want do what I can to make sure it works when I need it.

Anyone else tried Tyre? I've downloaded it, and messed around a bit, but haven't really tried too much.

I know they have a site (link above), and it can create GPX files to up/download, and I'm not honestly sure what else. I heard some good things about it, signed up (free), and then never did anything with it.

Been researching this same issue.. Scenic app is looking very promising... And, it is specifically for motorcycle trips... So there are options to choose items like curvy roads when generating maps.. Also, easily download Google Maps from My Maps directly into app.. Also, can use downloaded maps for offline use. Also, will locate you and navigate on offline maps unlike Google Maps that will only show you the route but not navigate offline. Turn by turn directions. Navigate to address. And a biggie for me after using Google Maps, it will not redirect and completely change your route if you stray. It will redirect you back to your created route. And, options to allow you to start at closest point in created route instead trying to navigate you to the beginning of the route... I am still testing but seems to be the complete package needed for offline use...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like scenic has changed a few things since I tried them before. I know that I have sent in emails for small issues that I have and there was very good response. I need to give it another run.
One thing that I have had issue with was importing from Furkot. I then have to zoom in and check the route to make sure that it doesn't loop me around or some other crazy junk. I have had to fix these routes my deleting points one at a time.
Rever just added nav to it line up but won't navigate the tracks or planned routes.
I like rever for the tracking and scenic for the nav.

When we rode w the big group into galiana mexico, the gps routes provided provided by others easily interfaced w. my android app called osmand. I used the free option, up to 5 free territory map downloads, including mexico.

I also use osmand to record my single track rides deep in the woods. This here is one of my recent recordings.
Screenshot_2018-02-04-05-46-10.png

Do any of you find that your smart phones aren't durable enough to stand up to rough or unpaved roads?

Two friends experienced the same issue on their ride down to Galeana last October. Both brand new iPhones had a failure of the video/photo stabilization mechanism of the phone and couldn't use their forward-facing cameras during the trip. Both were replaced or repaired when they got back.

Smart phones are not designed to take that kind of punishment non stop when mounted to the bars of an off road bike. Just say'n...

Since Google broke their maps, I've been using MotoGoLoco to create custom routes and either download as GPX (for modification in BaseCamp) or direct transfer to my GPS. Free and good support. https://www.motogoloco.com/map/

The s6 edge I'm using is bomb proof and waterproof
It's all one piece Construction, no removable battery, no external memory card slot, Etc... I use it on all of my single track rides, and it's survived 2 hard years including a couple of hard hits where it broke off of my case holder and flew off into the ditch submerged underwater 4 couple of days. Still works!

I've subscribed to this thread so that I can maybe migrate to a better solution.

BTW, I have a Garmin 590LM and that thing is SO FRUSTRATING! It constantly routes contrary what I mapped on Basecamp because of subtle setting differences that are buried in the menus. It's difficult to change routes on the fly. Lacks the satellite zoom capability of the phone apps and is overall very clunky to use.

I think it's fine for most US street based travel but really comes up short when your routes are less planned, more fluid and perhaps take you off the beaten path.

Oh, and I HATE how it doesn't follow the a route if your beginning and ending points are the same. I tjust assumes you're there already even though you haven't hit a single mapped waypoint.

Subscribed also, Ill be traveling down to Santiago Chile in February. I am renting a bike to explore the area for a couple days and not sure what to do about GPS.

I agree copb8... My experience (I admit isn’t a lot) is that GPS devices are frustrating. And, we all carry phones with us everywhere and if it has the same features and even better than GPS units in many cases (screen size, zoom ability, speed, etc) why not use it.. I disagree that they are not durable enough. One issue that can be an issue is the overheating..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have used the Garmin 660 for years, keep the rerouting function turned off, and still building my routes in Mapsource on a 10 year old laptop. Never seem to have any problems.

Anyone else tried Tyre? I've downloaded it, and messed around a bit, but haven't really tried too much.

I used Tyre to create a multi-day .GPX loop up through Canada and back a few years ago. It's been a couple of years so it may be better, but at the time it didn't import Garmin waypoints cleanly. I think it works best with TomTom.

Last edited:
Back