• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

*SOLD* OutdoorX4 2012 KLR 650 $5,500 FIRM

txox4

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Ledwell
Back in March 2016 I acquired an extremely low mileage, bone-stock KLR 650 (2012 model with only 180 miles) and used the bike as a blank canvas to build and use for OutdoorX4 Magazine, a print publication focused on vehicle-based adventure travel and outdoors recreation.

14.jpg

Since that time the bike has been ridden gently throughout Texas and most recently on an adventure motorcycle journey to Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods. All that said, I'm moving on to the next adventure motorcycle build and am offering the OutdoorX4 KLR 650 up for sale. Current mileage is at 3,252. The build sheet is extensive and this bike was featured in Issues 15 and 20 of OutdoorX4 Magazine and will be featured again in Issue 31 in January. The build specs are as follows:

- Sargent World Sport Adventure Touring Seat
- Eagle Mike KLX Jet Kit
- Touratech Headlight Guard
- JNS Engineering Radiator Guard & Skid Plates
- Givi USA Engine Guards
- DirtRacks Heavy Duty Side Racks and Luggage Rack
- Moose Racing Brake Cylinder Guard
- LED Brake/Turn Signal light upgrade
- Rigid Industries SR-M Series Fog Lights
- Techmount Fog Light Mounts (for Rigid Lights)
- Wolfman Luggage Enduro Tank Bag
- Knight Designs Drop Foot Pegs
- Center Stand
- Double Take Side Mirrors & RAM Mounts
- Barkbusters VPS Hand Guards
- Pro Taper EVO Adventure 1-1/8" Handlebar
- Rox Pivoting Bar Risers
- Oxford Heaterz Premium Adventure Heated Grips
- KLR Dash Upper and Lower Dash Panels
- Zero Gravity Smoke Windshield
- Uni Air Filter
- Atlas Throttle Lock
- Mitas E-07 Front & Rear Tires (90-95% Tread Life)
- Cogent Dynamics Adjustable Rear Moab Shock & Complete DDC Fork Kit
- Adventure Designs Ultimate Complete KLR 650 Tool Kit

The bike also features a new Duralast AGM battery and I put the stock exhaust back on (I had it powdercoated black) as the FMF Q4 Powerbomb exhaust and Yoshimura RS-2 exhausts I had previously tried were just too loud and obnoxious for me. I have also removed the GPS as it failed about six months ago after a ride where we had heavy rain.

8.jpg

7.jpg

You won't find a nicer build KLR 650 that has had this much media exposure (it was also on display in our booth at Overland Expo in Flagstaff in May this year) on the market.

Price is $5,500 FIRM and I am happy to facilitate shipping at cost and can get specific quotes on this as necessary. Also, while the bike has never been dropped and has been immaculately cared for, I did let a person come see the bike about two weeks ago and he knocked it over in my garage, causing the front right fairing to crack. I have it covered with reflective tape and it's not noticeable but reduced my asking price by $200 because of it. Also, I will NOT be parting out this bike so please do not ask for certain parts.

You can read about the bike and both phases of the build by clicking the links below. You'll need to use the following password Xp10r0X4 when prompted to view the PDF in the second link:

https://outdoorx4.com/stories/adventure-riding-venerable-klr-650/
www.outdoorx4.com/OX4-20.pdf

Please PM or post with any questions or interest. I am located in Spring, Texas approximately 25 miles of downtown Houston. Also, I do hold clear title in hand. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Re: For Sale: OutdoorX4 2012 KLR 650 $5,500 FIRM

That is one of the cleanest and nicest looking KLR's I have seen in a very long time.

Would cost double the asking price to replicate what you have created.

Someone will get a great deal buying this bike. GLWS

I wish it would have been for sale two weeks ago.

I wish it would have been for sale two weeks ago.

:rofl:

The story of my life when it comes to buying bikes, either too soon or too late... :doh:

This is a beautiful bike with the blue scheme. Someone should get this asap.

Last edited:

This is a beautiful bike with the blue scheme. Someone should get this asap.

Thanks! It's a wonderful bike and I'm confident it's worth far more than the sale price.

If any of you are looking for an exceptional KLR 650, this is the bike for you. Please post up or PM with questions or interest. Thanks!

Did it stay in the TWT family? If not, did you mention TWT? :-P

Actually, a gentleman in the United Arab Emirates made the purchase and he'll be flying here in November to pick it up. It's going global!

Cool. How in the world did he find out about it? KLR650.net?

Will he be flying here for a vacation, riding the bike while here, then shipping it home? Or, perhaps trying to resell it here after he's done with it?

His plans are pretty cool. He's going to take delivery and ride to Seattle, then store the bike there and over the next several years will be doing portions of the Pan-American Highway from Alaska to Patagonia, then do the Trans-American Trail. He wanted a solid bike for the various journeys planned and he's found it. :)

Back