• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend Around 10/5

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Baker
Thinking about a run to big bend departing around 10/5. No hassle, just hang and camp. Probably run there from Austin on day 1. Stay a couple days and ride back. Hit me up if interested. I ride a big bike and run 65 most of the time but 80 where appropriate.

You have me intrigued. Too hot for me to camp but I could truck out Friday, ride with you Saturday, return late Saturday or early Sunday. I'd hotel it.

What kind of riding do you plan? Dirt/ gravel or street? Spirited or smell the roses? Beat the sun up or lazy/casual start to the day?

I'd be on an xt250, average rider skills, been to BBNP a couple of times and I think done all the park roads plus a bunch of dirt north of Terlingua.

Hi randypower,

Well, thanks for the note!
I have not settled yet on a time, but I'll update you on the type of stuff I do. I don't have a small offroad ride any more, just my big bore tourer a BMW GSA R1200, so it would be a road oriented ride. I do long distance stuff generally when I ride and camp off the bike always. Sounds like a different style of riding than you want to do really. If I did currently have a small dual sport, I'd truck it to Moab for a week or so where for years we'd do 10 days at a time riding the most scenic stuff in the world. I came down from CO to TX so know that area a bit, as well as a good deal of the western states. I'm 63 now so falling back to the street touring where I've done many miles to date...

Last edited:
I'm trying to get to the Big Bend area myself. Cant make it happen until the week following Oct 22nd. Never been there, always wanted to see it. Will be Bike camping. I ride a KLR 650, I'm not much of a dirt rider but don't mind a gravel road or two. Will be riding down from the Decatur Texas area. Most of my riding consist of riding to and thru the Colorado and New Mexico area on my KLR. I have grandkid commitments next week, or I would try to go now. It would be great to ride with someone that's been there. Have a good trip.

Thinking about a run to big bend departing around 10/5. No hassle, just hang and camp. Probably run there from Austin on day 1. Stay a couple days and ride back. Hit me up if interested. I ride a big bike and run 65 most of the time but 80 where appropriate.

If you decide to put this off, let me know. I have a docs appointment and if the outcome of that appointment is going to be what I think it will be, I'll be looking to do a long ride before surgery.

Hi randypower,

Well, thanks for the note!
I have not settled yet on a time, but I'll update you on the type of stuff I do. I don't have a small offroad ride any more, just my big bore tourer a BMW GSA R1200, so it would be a road oriented ride. I do long distance stuff generally when I ride and camp off the bike always. Sounds like a different style of riding than you want to do really. If I did currently have a small dual sport, I'd truck it to Moab for a week or so where for years we'd do 10 days at a time riding the most scenic stuff in the world. I came down from CO to TX so know that area a bit, as well as a good deal of the western states. I'm 63 now so falling back to the street touring where I've done many miles to date...
Totally understand, Ed. It would have been rushed for me anyway. I thought about slabbing it out with you on my Baby GS (310) but that's too ambitious for me on the Baby. SAT -> Plano is the farthest I've gone so far.

Have a great ride! [emoji106]

Well, still trying to figure out when to blast off some direction. Would not mind Utah parks as well, or AZ. Just needs to be in the next couple weeks to beat weather and get back here for a long honey do list.

So did you go to big bend? Those west Texas monsoons would make for an interesting ride. I’m trying to plan a
BB trip this month on my gsa but just don’t have the bones to camp it.

No trip to BB. Maybe later this winter. I've decided to go to CO and UT instead and meet up with old riding buds from that neck of the woods. Will be a camp trip leaving this Friday, Grand Junction on Sunday aft. Moab/UT parks from Tues-Thursday then head back to TX.

http://www.txadvriders.org/upcoming-events/around-the-bend-feb-28-mar-3-2019/
2012_03_Around%20the%20Bend_26-37-L.jpg

Feb 28th

Last edited:
Back