• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HONDA XR650L OWNER'S SIGN IN

Well, after Meriden pegged me with a rock the other day :argh: :lol2: I figured I'd better do a little preventive maintenance on the headlights.;-) I had some cheap hardware cloth laying around so I cut it up into little squares and colored it black with a magic marker.

CIMG0704Copy.jpg

CIMG0705Copy.jpg

The 650...

CIMG0701Copy.jpg

The 440...

CIMG0702Copy.jpg

The KDX turned into quite the headache.

CIMG0706Copy.jpg

The XR's were easy, just pull the plastic back and cram the screen in there. The KDX was a different story, you have to completely disassemble the # plate and the screen has to be exactly the right size or it'll pop out on the sides.:headbang: :lol2: Regardless, I got it in there.

CIMG0708Copy.jpg

Installed...:argh: If I had any thorazine laying around I would've 'OD'ed on it!:lol2: Stupid, over the top frustration.:eek2:

CIMG0709Copy.jpg

Don't be to hard on Meriden. My WR250 has a broken headlight from riding with you. Make one more.

Spring? PM Silverbullet! :flip: :flip: :trust:
edit; Ack:doh: I see now you're in Spring Branch, I thought you were in Spring.:lol2:

I lived in Spring for over 25 years and know a couple of cool places to ride. Maybe someday soon I can show ya where if you don't already know of them.

Rman those light guards look good:thumb:, and the price was right. Things that make you say Hmmmmm! I think I have some wire around here that is very similar to what you used. Just might have a project for tomorrow. On another note I have been commuting to work on my bike and Friday when I pulled up to my gate to open it I wasn't paying attention to where I stopped at ( which was on the hump in the middle of the driveway) went to put my foot down and found the ground was further away than I expected! Well you can guess what happened next, over I went!:argh: I managed to stay on my feet but the bike went down, of coarse the first thing I did was to look around and see if any of my neighbors was watching:wary:. I managed to pickup the bike and ride it on in no worse for the wear. Go figure I ride all over the county and then drop my bike in my driveway:rofl:.

Come ride Bastrop with me. We'll get that bike on it's side for sure. :trust:

Anyone professional willing to lower this bike properly? Like doing internal shock work. I'm thinking of buying a brand new XRL. But 37" seat is way to tall for me.

I don't like Kubo links. I put a 1.5" Kubo link on my KDX, and it made the shock feel wierd. Like it's too soft. But the static sag is at 2", which indicate the spring is too stiff. So if I install a softer spring like I'm suppose to, the shock would probably feel even wierder.

Come ride Bastrop with me. We'll get that bike on it's side for sure. :trust:

I have been following y'all s thread in upcoming rides and really intend in coming up and riding with you. But I only get two weekends a month off and its a four and a half hour drive from orange to Bastrop so I would either have to leave at O' dark thirty or come up on Friday and stay in a hotel overnight and ride Saturday, but I do intend on coming over there soon. By the way Rman I got my oil cooler today, now I have to collect my fittings and hoses then stuff it in there. I see what you mean by tight fit:shock:.

I have been following y'all s thread in upcoming rides and really intend in coming up and riding with you. But I only get two weekends a month off and its a four and a half hour drive from orange to Bastrop so I would either have to leave at O' dark thirty or come up on Friday and stay in a hotel overnight and ride Saturday, but I do intend on coming over there soon. By the way Rman I got my oil cooler today, now I have to collect my fittings and hoses then stuff it in there. I see what you mean by tight fit:shock:.

I don`t see you needing to rent a motel if you come this way. I want to see a pic of your scrambler.

Attachments

• scrambler.jpg
    scrambler.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 156
Hey y'all. I hope everyone's been enjoying this great spring season we've been having. I know I have!

20120325_144212.jpg

:eek2: I know... I know...

But the time has come to sell the XR. Its too great of a bike and I don't have time to ride both. My Fiance is interested in riding some dirtbikes so I think I'm going to sell the XR and find some smaller trail bikes for the both of us.

The XR's been a great bike!

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71788

I got one of these from TCI Products after a guy in front of me chucked a rock at my head. Thankfully I saw it and ducked real quick. The guard is very stout!!

https://tciproductsusa.com/index.ph...id=527&zenid=3867cc6955c3b07fb6fb68fe4cd43f24

TurboCity_Headlight_Guard.jpg
Well TJ, I'll admit that guard is just a weeeee bit sturdier than my little screens. :lol2:

The little black spot in the middle of my KDX's headlight is kinda an afterthought. The screen was so tight across the light that I had this :sun:bright idea. (pun:mrgreen:) I took one of those squishy earplugs, cut in half and also colored it black with the magic marker. I used a drop of glue to hold it in place while I reassembled the # plate. The idea is to provide a gap to create a cushion between the rock, screen and the light.:shrug:

CIMG0709Copy.jpg

The XR's have about 1/4" of play between the screen and light but I intent to do the same to them and the TW.

Rman those light guards look good:thumb:, and the price was right. Things that make you say Hmmmmm! I think I have some wire around here that is very similar to what you used. Just might have a project for tomorrow. On another note I have been commuting to work on my bike and Friday when I pulled up to my gate to open it I wasn't paying attention to where I stopped at ( which was on the hump in the middle of the driveway) went to put my foot down and found the ground was further away than I expected! Well you can guess what happened next, over I went!:argh: I managed to stay on my feet but the bike went down, of coarse the first thing I did was to look around and see if any of my neighbors was watching:wary:. I managed to pickup the bike and ride it on in no worse for the wear. Go figure I ride all over the county and then drop my bike in my driveway:rofl:.
Thanks. And don't feel left out about dropping the bike at your own gate.:mrgreen: I was in a hurry and when I jumped off the bike my pants leg caught the shifter and into 1st it went! :rofl: The kickstand switch killed it but the engine had enough momentum to roll it off the stand. :doh: :lol2: The next day I walked out on the porch and noticed oil on the ground. Well needless to say the shifter cracked the stator cover. :headbang: This is an unfortunate week area on the 650 and you can read several other stories about the same thing over at ThumperTalk. One guy had just rolled his brand new 650L into the garage, dropped it and knocked a 1" hole in the cover!! :eek2: Anyway, I've posted these pics before but I'll post them again for some of you new guys. The crack wasn't all that bad but it did leak oil so I leaned the bike way over to shift the oil over to the right side of the engine and cleaned the cover real good. Taped off the crack and mixed up some J-B Weld.

CIMG1673-1.jpg

CIMG1675.jpg

Figured I'd better reinforce it with a metal plate. You can use aluminum but since I had a piece of stainless laying around I used it. Trust me, use aluminum :trust: :trust:, stainless is incredibly difficult to work with!!!! Had a friend use his cutting torch to get the basic shape but I had to do a lot of grinding to get the finished shape, A LOT OF GRINDING!!!

CIMG4150.jpg

CIMG4159.jpg

I originally glued it on with orange (hi-temp) silicone but it fell off after awhile. I thought it was long gone and had already started making another when I was walking down my road, looked down and there it was. I'd like to see those odds. All those miles and miles and it falls off on MY ROAD and I FIND IT? :shock: Thank You God! :zen: :lol2:
I reinstalled it using more J-B Weld so it'll never fall off now, you'd have to grind it off.

So if you haven't already done it I highly recommend anyone with an L to reinforce that side case! :thumb:

mike with manracks has now made a case guard in mass. i got one but have yet to install it. he's selling them on flebay.

I don`t see you needing to rent a motel if you come this way. I want to see a pic of your scrambler.

Ask and you shall receive, this is the third time I have tried to post these pic's, the first the pic's were to big, the second time I was in the middle of posting and had a slight emergency and had to go, soooo third time is the charm (I hope). I have had my scrambler since 1981 when I bought it brand new with six miles on the odometer. My kids fight over it as to who's going to get it, I told them I was going to be buried in it:lol2:. I pulled the engine last year and tore it down and went through it adding a few goodies here and there.

Attachments

• IMAG0059.jpg
    IMAG0059.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 165
  • IMAG0225.jpg
    IMAG0225.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 178
Thanks for the heads up on the case weak spot Rman, I have already bent my shifter once but luckily it bent outward away from the case. This looks like some pretty cheap protection with a lot of value. Had a major pucker factor coming home from work the other day, a car in front of me slammed on their brakes:eek2:, when I hit mine the rear tire locked up and the bike started to crab sideways, I managed to let off and straighten the bike up and still avoid the car:pray:.

Back