• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

To ride, or not to ride...

I'll probably leave riding in stages. I'm 63 and doing quite well, thank you very much. But I've already discovered that I can't trust my body strength like I could only a couple of years ago, if I get myself into a pinch. So Stage One is that I'm already starting to accustom myself to a lower saddle on the VStrom, with gives me a safer stance as I start/stop/U-turn.

Other stages will probably be:
- Exchanging the campground for a motel bed,
- Giving up long distance riding,
- Swapping the adventure-style bike for something much lower, and
- Maybe even switching from a motorcycle to some futuristic scooter.

Then again, if my wife tells me to hang it up, she has that right. And it'll be goodbye VStrom, hello vintage Porsche.

And it'll be goodbye VStrom, hello vintage Porsche.

Be careful with that Porsche. I used to fly RC with a guy who got in to the hobby after his wife begged him to stop racing cars following severe injuries in a crash. The guy was the type who was always pushing limits, got in to pylon racing before developing sufficient skills, and flew a big scale gasser at 140mph into his chest. Killed him.

These days I drive all week, get home Friday, jump on a bike, and don't get back until Sunday most every weekend, after putting 1000 to 1800 miles under the bike. I see no reason to stop, probably will die when someone runs over me.

I haven't ridden in a year and a couple of weeks since Brenda had her stroke. She just had another surgery this week and was discharged today. I don't feel that riding when she can't would be fair to her so I'm considering selling the bikes. I can always buy another one if / when she's able to get in the saddle again.

Well, I am probably right behind Bill N. as soon as I get on the stick and fix some bikes up for sale.

Mine is a health issue - the last couple of years the arthritis in my hands has gotten much worse. It used to start bothering me after a couple of hours, now it is probably less than 30 minutes. Meds help - some - but not enough.

This has also killed something else that I started back up with - playing bass guitar. (not that I was any good at it)

Sometimes growing old really sucks. My wife has other health problems (heart) and has not ridden her scooter for 3 years - she cried when I rode it to EuroSportCycle for some service.

Now you guys keep checking the "for sale" section & bring cash. :)

Chuck, giving up riding for health reasons would be a sad day for me, but I'd get past it. Having to put down my guitar(s) for arthritis - that would be painful beyond description.

Well, I am probably right behind Bill N. as soon as I get on the stick and fix some bikes up for sale.

Mine is a health issue - the last couple of years the arthritis in my hands has gotten much worse. It used to start bothering me after a couple of hours, now it is probably less than 30 minutes. Meds help - some - but not enough.

This has also killed something else that I started back up with - playing bass guitar. (not that I was any good at it)

Sometimes growing old really sucks. My wife has other health problems (heart) and has not ridden her scooter for 3 years - she cried when I rode it to EuroSportCycle for some service.

Now you guys keep checking the "for sale" section & bring cash. :)

just because you have issues riding doesn't mean you cant get out and about in the car on a Friday evening. we miss you at Burger box.

Honestly, money. If I had the money to buy another jeep I'd sell the bike. I love offroading, and camping. I know you can do so on the bike, but I love jeeps. I just can't afford a 500 payment and banks don't want to finance a 10yr old jeep. So now I have to save up and pay cash. And that will take too long. So for now it's bikes.

Brother jokes that I relax from my driving job by going driving/riding.

Quit, never. My CBR1000RR purchase 1 week after I left the hospital alll but, confirms it. Besides motorcycling is a human visceral endevour, quitiing is an analytical process and the two are incompatible.

I truly miss it. But after what I put my wife through (6 surgeries later), I hung it up. If, Lord forbid, something were to happen to her and I was still physically able, I'd be hunting up another Speed Triple. There just is nothing like riding the twisties on a nice sport bike.

Back